Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake, Monument, Blackcap, Osceola, Carru, Lago, Ptarmigan, June 30-July 2, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am 
Saturday – Bike, paddle, hike to Lake Mountain, Monument Peak, camp at Shellrock Pass (~30 miles, 10kft gain) Sunday – climb Blackcap, Osceola, Carru, Lago, Ptarmigan, Lost, camp at Shellrock Pass (~33 miles, 15kft gain) Monday – hike, paddle, bike out (18 miles, 2kft gain) I saw Matt Lemke's report about hiking into this area a few weeks ago, and in particular the tricky crossing of Eureka Creek. I immediately thought - packraft! I'd been struggling for a while to contrive a way to involve my packraft with climbing Bulger mountains, and a tricky creek crossing would be the perfect way. The packraft doesn't care how deep the water is, just as long as it's deep enough not to scrape on the rocks. I left the Monument Creek trailhead solo Saturday morning at 5:30am on my mountain bike. The first 1.5 miles are excellent for biking, and the next mile is very overgrown. I basically just pushed my bike the last mile to the wilderness boundary and ditched it in the woods. The Eureka creek crossing was probably at least thigh deep on me, but no problem for my boat. I inflated my boat, paddled across, then packed it up and hung it in a tree for the return. I went on to climb Lake and Monument peaks that day, then camped near Shellrock Pass. The next day I climbed six Bulgers - Blackcap, Osceola, Carru, Lago, Ptarmigan, and Lost, returning to my camp at Shellrock Pass. To get from Ptarmigan to Lost it's possible to avoid going back over Lago by dropping down to Dot Lake and traversing at treeline through pleasant terrain to Butte Pass. Monday morning I hiked back out, and it snowed on me continuously all morning until I dropped below 4,000ft. Strange weather for July! I inflated my boat and put in at the Eureka-Lost confluence and paddled a little ways down the Lost river, before taking out, hiking back to my bike, and biking back to the car. Full trip report and more pictures at http://www.countryhighpoints.com/pasayten-peakbagging/
Map of my route
Map of my route
All packed up at the trailhead
The Eureka Creek crossing
The Eureka Creek crossing
The bushwhack through the burn zone to get to Shellrock Pass
The bushwhack through the burn zone to get to Shellrock Pass
Dot Lake. Drop down here to avoid going back over Lago
Dot Lake. Drop down here to avoid going back over Lago
Sunset on Lost Peak, looking back towards Pistol Pass
Sunset on Lost Peak, looking back towards Pistol Pass
Putting in back at Eureka Creek
Putting in back at Eureka Creek

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 am 
All that in 3 days with overnight gear, solo, in marginal weather. That is absolutely insane! My hat is off to you. Do you plan on finishing this year?

gray matter

gray matter
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 2:22 pm 
Welcome to the site, Eric! You are a sick man. That’s all. hockeygrin.gif Edit: emoji for context!

rstoddard24
BBQWingz

rstoddard24
BBQWingz
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 2:34 pm 
Wow- nice! I like the multi sport style - bike/paddle/hike/climb. Packraft opens the door for many options! Thx for the beta on ptarmigan-lost linkup

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 5:28 pm 
amazing effort, those are some big days! cool to see what can be done when someone is determined up.gif

Eric Eames
RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 am 
I checked out your blog. You've been to some interesting places. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 7:47 am 
Very nice work. Are you sure your name ISNT Hank Snow? I was totin' my pack Along the dusty Winnemucca road When along came a semi With a high and canvas covered load "If you're going to Winnemucca, Mack With me you can ride." So I climbed into the cab And then I settled down inside He asked me if I'd seen a road With so much dust and sand And I said, "Listen, Bud I've traveled Every road in this here land." I've been everywhere, man I've been everywhere, man 'Cross the deserts bare, man I've breathed the mountain air, man Of travel, I've had my share, man I've been everywhere. Been to Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota, Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo, Tocopilla, Barranquilla, and Padilla, I'm a killer. I've been everywhere, man I've been everywhere, man 'Cross the deserts bare, man I've breathed the mountain air, man Of travel, I've had my share, man I've been everywhere. Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana, Monterey, Ferriday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa, Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devil's Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake; I've been everywhere, man I've been everywhere, man 'Cross the deserts bare, man I've breathed the mountain air, man Of travel, I've had my share, man I've been everywhere. Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika, Shefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica, Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport, Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond do Lac, Davenport, Idaho, Jellicoe, Argentina, Diamontina, Pasadena, Catalina, see what I mean, sir; I've been everywhere, man I've been everywhere, man 'Cross the deserts bare, man I've breathed the mountain air, man Of travel, I've had my share, man I've been everywhere. Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravellburg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado, Larrimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chattanika, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity; I've been everywhere, man I've been everywhere, man 'Cross the deserts bare, man I've breathed the mountain air, man Of travel, I've had my share, man "I know some place you haven't been." I've been everywhere."

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 am 
Welcome to the site, Eric. Congratulations on a superhuman effort! I noticed we had similar pictures of snow on tents, but then the similarity abruptly ends! lol.gif

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:09 pm 
I believe there are only a few people in the world capable of this feat! Have you ever been running with Kilian Jornet? eek.gif Amazing accomplishment

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Distel32

Distel32
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 10:44 am 
up.gif

Gregor
Gregor

Gregor
Gregor
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm 
Holy cow!! That's impressive. cheers.gif

Gregor
Gregor

Gregor
Gregor
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 9:45 pm 
oh, But I see you didnt do Dot mountain while you were there.... what a slacker... yawn.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 am 
Simply amazing! It will be exciting to see what innovative trips you do next.
Eric Gilbertson wrote:
Looks like you might need to think about a new bike saddle smile.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 am 
Having just been out there and done 6 of these 8, following much of your route, this is even more amazing to me. The mileage and gain numbers for day 2 are huge but they don't reflect the sheer amount of rough, chossy, off-trail terrain that you covered that day. Incredible. P.S. that Ptarmigan-Lost linkup works very well, thanks for the idea. Mostly pleasant travel through open Larch and fresh burn. Only took us 1.5 hours or so from Dot Lakes to Butte Pass.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 am 
This TR kinda blows my mind, but after seeing you in action on Azurite this weekend, it makes more sense smile.gif Well done!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark