Forum Index > Trail Talk > A bad start to fire season? (Smoke plumes visible in the North Cascades this evening)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 pm 
I’m driving east on Highway 20 from Anacortes to I5 right now and can see 3 distinct smoke plumes blowing up in the Cascades.. one is SE of Baker, one is further to the SE and one looks to be further south still, towards Darrington. Going to get a better look in a minute, will post again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 pm 
Some crappy cellphone pics of the plumes.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 pm 
Anybody got any intel on what’s going on out there?

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 pm 
I smelled smoke in town today and saw in the news that there is a fire in Shelton. I saw what looked like those plumes from Lake Washington today but haven't seen anything on it yet. Might be clouds.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 pm 
I really hope so, but they really look like plumes. Maybe last summer just scarred me.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 6:26 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
A bad start to fire season?
You mean as opposed to a good start to fire season? clown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 pm 
Well some idiot lit Anderson Point Campground on Baker Lake on fire last Saturday. Sounded like it was under control. Hopefully that didn’t blow up. BC just instituted a complete fire ban in their forests in SW BC. Sure would be nice sometimes if our forest service/park service might consider the same.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 6:58 pm 
I just checked all the fire dispatch centers. http://www.wildcad.net/WArecent.asp Nothing of any note as of 6.45 pm today. Two fires near Wenatchee that I think are not growing..... In the Methow tonight....large towering cumulonimbus up over the Crest and the Pasayten. Maybe that is what you are seeing? There is a ‘cold front’ coming in.. The Okanogan Wenatchee NF DOES have fire restrictions on: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices/?aid=47673

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 7:25 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
In the Methow tonight....large towering cumulonimbus up over the Crest and the Pasayten. Maybe that is what you are seeing?
Shedding some lightning but mostly in CA: https://lightningapi.nifc.gov/viewer/ I should know the answer to this but what causes these latest cold fronts to lack vertical cumulous development (other than what we're seeing on the border)? Is it simply that the air masses are so dry that no condensing of moisture forms with vertical air movement?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm 
I’m a weather “fan” but not a great student, also John. I think you are correct. I always said you have to have moisture to have clouds that form from vertical development, and you don’t get lightning - outside of frontal systems - without moisture. (I’m pretty sure some meteorologist type will point out my flawed logic!) Here is one for you..... In 2017 the Methow basked in heavy smoke from Diamond Creek Fire that burned from the third week of July until late September. It seemed like a very busy fire season. However....no lightning fires were staffed by FS crews that entire summer. No moisture, no lightning.

neek

neek
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 pm 
One of the BC fires, looking NE from Ptarmigan Peak in the Pasayten on 7/18. I think that's Cathedral it's behind.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm 
Ski wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
If one is on a fire crew or has something to hire out, it is a good start. Gotta make money when you can... The state and local folks have been doing a good job of taking care of the fires around here--so far. I rode my bike up to the airport this morning and there are two of those strange looking "single seat" little planes that carry a small load of water to douse fires. Dunno if they ever load retardant in them. It might be a good thing if we reverted a bit back to the olden days where we carried a shovel and axe around in the back of the pickup or trunk of car. Actually, the shovel would be good. One can put a line around a creeping campfire and then put it out with a shovel, or do the same around a smoldering lightning struck spot.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 2:37 pm 
Ski wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
If one is on a fire crew or has something to hire out, it is a good start. Gotta make money when you can... The state and local folks have been doing a good job of taking care of the fires around here--so far. I rode my bike up to the airport this morning and there are two of those strange looking "single seat" little planes that carry a small load of water to douse fires. Dunno if they ever load retardant in them. It might be a good thing if we reverted a bit back to the olden days where we carried a shovel and axe around in the back of the pickup or trunk of car. Actually, the shovel would be good. One can put a line around a creeping campfire and then put it out with a shovel, or do the same around a smoldering lightning struck spot.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:42 pm 
Air Tractor AT-802

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 20, 2018 9:15 pm 
Heard on the radio this afternoon there have been a record-breaking 731 wildfires in WA as of today, that 80% of them were human caused, and that firefighters are experiencing fatigue at levels more in tune with end of a fire season than now. Didn't catch who said this or where they got their info, just what I overheard.