Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk

Off Leash Man
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Good points Ale Capone.

For further clarification:
Based  on a few recommendations I read elsewhere I used GE All Purpose Silicone Caulk, not GE Silicone II. It really was almost a coin toss...both reportedly work well.
I didn't try toluene for lots of reason, but mainly because so many folks had good results with mineral spirits. Why reinvent the wheel?
I also put on one more coat last night to ensure full coverage and now I am really happy. The canopy was well worn and I am certain it will be leak proof now, not to mention reinforced to a fair degree. It really didn't make the fabric too stiff or heavy either.!

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
hbb

hbb

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 pm 
Schenk wrote:
In another thread DIY Steve stated that GE Silicone II doesn't dissolve in mineral spirits, but is held in suspension/makes an emulsion when mixed with mineral spirits.
I want to recoat a large portion of a good tarp and I wondered if I could use something else that would make an actual solution of diluted silicon and then paint it, or even roll it on.
I checked the MSDS for GE Silicon II and it indicated Toluene will dissolve it.
Has anyone tried using this solvent to thin silicon sealant?

I'm not sure what thread you are referring to, but are you sure he's not just making a pedantic objection to improper use of terminology? I mean, what you want to do is make a thinner, easier-to-apply version of a readily available silicone sealant. That doesn't necessarily require "dissolving" the product.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Franco

Franco

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 6:40 pm 
I have done well over 200 tents with the GE II Silicone and the local equivalent by another brand, mixed with mineral spirit.
if it did not work I would have changed after a dozen or two.
At Tarptent Nevada City they do several hundreds of shelters that same way every year.
Same thing....
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone

ale_capone

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 5:37 am 
heh. thanks. ive experimented with all types of silicone and urethanes on differant fabrics. no good results other then ugly clothes.

i caulk for a living, so i get a little on me. my black and blue jeans are close to water proof

never once seam sealed a tent though.

you got me thinking though. not for tents, but for other items.

silcone is a surface treatement, but what it you thinned it enough and vacum bagged whatever you where trying to water proof? or pressure?

recently vacum bagged a schist carving with epoxy. if it can suck epoxy into a rock, it should help get the waterproofing into the material a little better.

old food saver from goodwill did the trick.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Seam Sealing Question
  Happy Birthday Kathleen, eplanajr, Pepper!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: