Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Advice for yellow jackets in my attic
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostFri Jul 27, 2018 6:40 pm 
Can’t remember where I learned this but I heard, or read, that moth balls get rid of them. I have used them on paper nests that were in various spots (outside) and a ground nest last summer. Just stood back and chucked the moth balls until I got a few in or near the nests. Every time I have used the moth balls, the yellow jackets, (and once bumblebees) split in two or less days. I still have the open box out in my shed and they keep out of there too. These have always been exterior applications. Good luck.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 9:18 am 
I had this exact situation once. Call Marvin at Jerry the Bee Guy. Poison free. He's a total character too.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Brockton

Brockton
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 11:45 am 
Thanks, all, for the suggestions. After carefully considering your endorsements for firebombing, selling my house, poisoned cat food and skunks, I decided to try setting up a shop vac by the entrance. Been going for two hours now and it's gone from about 20 per minute coming and going to just a couple per minute. Also, I'm pleased that they haven't freaked out and started swarming. More of a "Hey, where's Bob? Hmmm, what's this? Ackk....(slurp)" I have some soapy water in the vac to drown them but phase two will be making sure they don't get out until they starve I have to give honorable mention to the classiest suggestion, though:
Kim Brown wrote:
I advise them to leave your attic.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 pm 
Remember, you will have to empty the shop vac someday. eek.gif I rebaited my trap with the available at the store specific bait--no catfud, and hung it near a spot where the beasties were going under the house siding. The trap already has quite a few in it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 11:08 pm 
You may already know this, but some places (like this one) advertise free wasp removal. One other point: We had some kind of wasps in our attic and we called an exterminator to remove it (me being a coward and all). I don't know what kind of wasps they were, but they were mostly black and big and scary and with a loud eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound. The bug removal guy immediately identified it as a beneficial wasp that was harmless and would not remain; and practically begged us to leave the nest alone. So we did, and sure enough, they left!