Forum Index > Trip Reports > Scaffold 7497, Duffy 7625 and Duffy Lakes (Twisp)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 29, 2018 5:36 pm 
Location : Twisp, wa. Access : Twisp River Rd. > Buttermilk Creek Rd. > FR 550 * You must now park near the top of the road and walk 4.5 miles to the original TH Map : GTM - Buttermilk Butte Distance / Elevation r/t : 20 miles, 5900'
Scaffold 7497 - Duffy 7625 and Duffy Lakes
Scaffold 7497 - Duffy 7625 and Duffy Lakes
My first backpack since early June had us starting at the gated road that use to lead to the Buttermilk Ridge TH while the road still does and looks to become a default trail you park behind the gate now due to the bridge being unsafe and that means 4.5 miles of road walking unless you take it up the gut and cut some mileage off. Eleven years ago this month we drove to the original TH and did a monster loop snagging Oval dropping down the North ridge drawn by the rising fish visible from the summit into Duffy but we had no poles so the area has been on our mind and now it looked like a good time to do the trip easing my calf back into reality. There was a smokey haze in the air, it was hot, there were bugs, and some blowdown but it was good to stress test my body and we did just that. The upper sections of Scaffold Ridge were easy walking with large meadows, good views off the peaks, and the fishing was good at Duffy Lake. We had some light rain showers in the afternoon but nothing more and a good campsite, coming out the second day it was hot there are no water sources between the TH and Lake.
Scaffold (far left) and Spirit Mountain (center)
Scaffold (far left) and Spirit Mountain (center)
Good Stuff surrounds us from our lunch spot on Scaffold.
Good Stuff surrounds us from our lunch spot on Scaffold.
Duffy and Oval from Scaffold
Duffy and Oval from Scaffold
Oval from Duffy Peak
Oval from Duffy Peak
Upper Lake
Upper Lake
Main Duffy Lake
Main Duffy Lake
RELATED Oval, Duffy Lake, and Scaffold Ridge Scaffold Ridge, Buttermilk Ridge / Creek Loop Buttermilk Ridge8267' Battle - Snowshoe Ridge and Silver Lake

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jul 30, 2018 4:38 am 
wildernessed wrote:
that means 4.5 miles of road walking unless you take it up the gut and cut some mileage off.
Hmmmmm...Seems like you two ridge runners could have found an even more direct route in via the West Buttermilk valley. But it looks like it was a successful trip. up.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 am 
Based on the evidence presented (20 miles, 5900' gain), I hereby declare you HEALED! agree.gif Looks like a lot of potential with nice flat spots on Scaffold Ridge to set up camp for one of your legendary early season ridge outings. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 4:15 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Based on the evidence presented (20 miles, 5900' gain), I hereby declare you HEALED! agree.gif Looks like a lot of potential with nice flat spots on Scaffold Ridge to set up camp for one of your legendary early season ridge outings. up.gif
Just in time for the smoke off I lost some valuable time in June.🤕

Living in the Anthropocene
cartman

cartman
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 10:03 am 
Good to see you back on the trails, Robster.