Forum Index > Trail Talk > suggestions for getting out of the PCT near Goat Rocks Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Jul 30, 2018 6:11 pm 
I'm trying to join a buddy who is hiking the PCT southbound for two or three days . I would join at White Pass and hike 25-30 miles a day for two to three days. My question is where would be the easiest place to bail out and hitch a ride back to my car at White Pass? Nothing looks great from the map, but I don't know that area real well either. Suggestions welcome.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 30, 2018 8:26 pm 
Walupt Lake gets a lot of traffic to and from, but no guarantee that anybody would give you a ride. There is a Packwood Shuttle that might pick you up there for the right price, and haul you back up to the Pass to get your car. Or there was a shuttle service last year.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 8:54 am 
I think that's Randi. She's awesome.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 am 
Walupt lake I would also think is the easiest place for a hitch. Other reasonably good choices would be Snow grass flats trailhead or berry patch trail head but both see a lot less traffic than Walupt. I could be a little off in the names. If the ride is only to Packwood just go through town to bottom of hill, and rides are realtively easy. Have done it a couple of times, and gotten a ride within an hour from Walupt. Lots of day hikers and people using the lake. No cell phone reception so you would have to prearrange a lift from Randi. From what I remember she is unenthusiastic about going there as the bumpy ride agrivates her injuries. Might think of dropping car off and hiking to it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 pm 
Right now the PCT is closed from White Pass to Tieton Pass because of the Miriam Fire. The report says there is an alternate route on the west side.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 4:36 pm 
Paying no attention to what’s going on up there good catch treeswarper. Might be the clear lost trail 76 to the pack wood lake trail 78 and then up coyote trail 79 to the north end of the knifes edge. Did that a couple years ago, from what I remember I would say it was much better scenery than the Pct. Looking at map it could also be clear lost trail 76 to clear fork trail 61 then to Tieton pass. This way I believe is less scenic, but a little quicker. The
Probably bypass around fire
Probably bypass around fire
(Click on pick to go to flicker to be able to read trail names) trail head is pretty hard to find as you can see nothing from hwy 12. Just jump a guard rail in a curve and only then can you see anything. Make sure you know the mile marker # as that’s the only way to reliably find the trailhead. I would also say Chinock pass (north) to white pass (roughly 30 miles) covers some nice country.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 6:55 pm 
Well, nuts. Thanks for the info, all.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm 
You can access the PCT south of WP via the North Fork of the Tieton River, thence on to Tieton Pass fwiw (at least for now, that area has some HEAVY fuel)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm 
kbatku wrote:
You can access the PCT south of WP via the North Fork of the Tieton River, thence on to Tieton Pass fwiw (at least for now, that area has some HEAVY fuel)
For how long, I wonder. The summer camps at Clear Lake have been evacuated. I guess it all depends on the wind. There was also a post on facebook saying that White Pass was also at a level 3 evacuation. There are a few people who live there during the summer, but I can't see a fire backing down the hill at a very fast pace unless there was an insane amount of wind.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 9:06 pm 
Here is this from the Okanogan/Wenatchee Miriam Fire Area Closure Enacted for Public Safety Naches, WA--(July 31, 2018) – The Miriam Fire, burning three miles east of White Pass Ski Area within the Goat Rocks Wilderness on the Naches Ranger District 32 miles southeast of Naches, WA, was started by lightning strike from a storm that came through the area over the weekend, and was reported on Monday at about 11 a.m.. Initial attack fire suppression resources include a 20 person hand crew, rappellers, and air resources helicopters and air tankers with water and retardant drops. An incident management team has been ordered to manage the fire. The Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest is enacting an area closure in the White Pass and Clear Lake areas of the Naches Ranger District due to the proximity of the Miriam Fire to the numerous summer camps, summer homes, the White Pass Community, campgrounds, the Pacific Crest Trail and other popular trails. Hot and dry weather, low relative humidity’s, and anticipated high winds in combination with steep and inaccessible terrain factored significantly in the decision to to enact an area closure surrounding the fire area. “Public safety and fire fighter safety are our primary responsibility. Large fires burning throughout the west have nearly exhausted the availability of fire fighters, and other resources” said Kelly Lawrence, District Ranger at the Naches Ranger Station. “It has been difficult to staff the Miriam Fire and resources will continue to be difficult to secure. As a result, an area closure is necessary,” said Lawrence. The closure is effective immediately and will remain in place until September 30, 2018 unless rescinded earlier. Trails Closed: • #1144 Round Mountain Trail • #1144A Round Mountain Trail • #1117 Hidden Spring Trail • #1118 North Fork Tieton • #1119 Shoe Lake Trail • #1128 Tieton Meadows Trail • #1130 Trail between #1128 and Forest Service Road #1204 • #2000 PCT from HWY 12 South to Tieton Pass • OHV Route 4W699 Roads Closed: Forest Service Road 1204 Forest Service Road 1204-742 Forest Service Road 1205 Forest Service Road 1200 (Tieton Road) Forest Service Road 1207 Campgrounds and permitted organizational camps closed: • Brethran Organizational Camp • Zarahemia Organizational Camp • Primetime Organizational Camp • Dudley Organizational Camp • Clear Lake North Campground • Clear Lake South Campground For Miriam Fire updates go to Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6066/ For updates on evacuation levels see Yakima County Emergency Management: https://www.facebook.com/YakimaCountyOEM/ Maps and additional information about the area fire closure will be posted to the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Alerts and Closures page- as soon as it becomes available, check here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices/… Those visiting the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest are reminded to check current conditions by visiting our web page at https://www.fs.usda.gov/okawen/ or by contacting your nearest Ranger Station. 1 Comment

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 pm 
They aren’t send a twenty person Type 2 incident command team to manage one twenty person hand crew. The USFS must think this fire could get a lot bigger quickly. Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 8:33 am 
Well, it does say that they are concerned it could get big in the press release...

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am 
PCT Closures page. https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/closures/washington/ The fire at White Pass: https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/closures/washington/miriam-fire/
Quote:
A fire closure of the PCT is in effect south of White Pass in central Washington due to a 30 acre fire that is burning within a half mile of the PCT. The fire started near Hell Lake and has the potential for rapid growth in the next 24 hours. The PCT is closed to all users from Tieton Pass (Halfmile point 2283.3) to White Pass at Highway 12 (Halfmile point 2295). More information can be found from the Forest Service here. ( here being this link - https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6066/ ) A recommended fire detour has been identified by the Forest Service. If traveling northbound, exit the trail to the west at Tieton Pass and follow the Clear Fork Trail #61 until you reach the Clear Lost Trail #76. Turn right and travel north on the Clear Lost Trail to Clear Lost Trailhead. From there either travel east on Highway 12 to rejoin the PCT at the White Pass Ski Resort or cross the highway and take the Sand Lake Trail #60 north until reaching a junction with the Pacific Crest Trail near Sand Lake.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm 
https://whitepass-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/webcams/Pigtail.jpg Someone else posted this link to webcam at top of White Pass ski hill. You can see aircraft on the webcam this afternoon. Best. This fire also has a permanent weather station with temps at the top of hill. Hours are normal, not daylight savings time. https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=692

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:25 pm 
I made a trip to Randle via White Pass. The ski area base is a fire camp--hardly any parking. I found a little spot to pull off to check my load. The PCT detour, on the west side is easy to find. It had cars parked at it and flagging and signs in place. It was very very smoky this morning. Very. I turned off the vent and turned on the AC, even though it wasn't needed, hoping to filter some of the smoke out. The Tieton road is closed so access to any trails from there is a no no. Helicopters are flying buckets of water from the east end of Rimrock Lake to the fire, when they can see. I don't think any were flying this morning--too smoky.