Forum Index > Gear Talk > water filter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 9:56 pm 
anyone use this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QFXGSIY/ seems to have good reviews and better performance than comparable MSR ones. i'm not a gravity filter person, or at least not yet.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 8:48 pm 
Looks interesting and could be of some value when traveling to countries that have questionable water sources, or for removing viruses, heavy metals, chlorine taste, or green swamp water. But most people here source crystal clear melt water. Half a pound extra weight could be a deal breaker for a gram winnie. That being said, I do keep a 0.01 micron filter in my house emergency kit.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 10:22 pm 
For a nickel more you can buy a Katadyn Hiker Pro. For $20 less, you can buy another brand making the same claims.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 am 
iron wrote:
i'm not a gravity filter person, or at least not
Why not?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
For a nickel more you can buy a Katadyn Hiker Pro.
The Katadyn Hiker Pro filters down to 0.2 microns. The survivor Filter Iron is referring to claims to filter to 0.01 microns. I am sure an engineer like Iron would immediately recognize the significance of an order of magnitude smaller pore size.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 12:21 pm 
Might come down to whether or not the additional protection of 0.1 micron is worth the additional weight penalty. As noted above, "normal" PNW backpacking and hiking water sources are fairly clean, and you're only worried about microorganisms (giardia, etc.) and maybe some bacteria. For those, the more standard 0.2 micron filters offer adequate protection. My heavier 4-season tent offers better protection. But do I need that additional protection? And I'm with Steve re gravity filters. Unless you're talking an ultralight cap style filter, why work extra when gravity is always there to help?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 12:54 pm 
Sawyer is coming out in August with a micro filter for about the price of the mini which is supposed to have a higher flow rate than the mini. You probably do not need a virus filter in the US, i did get shots for Hep A and B for overseas.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 2:43 pm 
FWIW I think there's pros and cons to various water treatment systems, and what's 'ideal' probably depends on the circumstances. Example: I never put much stock into grav systems until I met (OK, hauled beer out to, lol) some friends bikepacking through the Quilomene a few years ago. There were 5+ guys slabbed out next to the Columbia that in addition to whatever they were using for the night needed to fill up 100oz camelbaks for the next day as they'd be biking for hours in hot dry weather before hitting the next water supply. Having a grav filter system with a good sized upper and lower bag that could sit there and burble away for everyone was absolutely the right choice. I like using the Steripen if I'm out by myself and the water I'm likely to run into along the way doesn't have a lot of crud in it. Or if the weather is going to be really cold and I don't want to risk freezing a filter. I like using the Grayl for the three of us just hiking along for the day with a cooked mid day meal. I received as a gift a bike bottle with a straw filter I can suck water through... which is fine for rides where I know I'm going to be along water fairly frequently, but is absolutely no good for filling another container (camelbak or cooking) so it's utility is limited. ETA: AND... just last Sunday I did a big bike turn in the Taneum where the only water along the entire route was a very puny trickle. I couldn't get enough water into a bottle to treat, fortunately the 100oz camelbak was enough. But that would have been a good case for a pump style filter to suck water out of a small pool.

~Mom jeans on wheels
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 3:36 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
For those, the more standard 0.02 micron filters offer adequate protection.
Just to clarify, most standard hiking filters are 0.1 microns not 0.01 (or 0.02 as stated above).

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 5:02 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
For those, the more standard 0.02 micron filters offer adequate protection.
Just to clarify, most standard hiking filters are 0.1 microns not 0.01 (or 0.02 as stated above).
Oops, my bad on the decimal point. Meant 0.2 microns, which is (or has been) the standard on most hiking filters (Katadyn silica matrix pump and gravity, MSR hollow fiber, ceramic, and silica depth, and Platy hollow fiber. Yes, some of the new hollow fiber "bottle top" (Katadyn BeFree and Sawyer) are 0.1. Wow, 0.01. Wonder how that flow rate holds up?!

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 8:47 am 
I own the MSR pump, Steripen, Saywer, Grayl, and have tried most every chemical system. I generally prefer the Saywer filter as my goto for most trips. Very light weight way to insure clean water. I always carry a some chlorine dioxide tabs as a backup. For areas where I know their will be glacier runoff, I would definitely go with the field cleanable MSR pump. The very fine particles will clog any micron filter. I use the Grayl in my day hiking pack. For small seeps, a zip lock bag is easy to fill with water and transfer to the Grayl or Saywer squeeze bag.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 pm 
I will be backpacking in Canadian Rockies in September. The MSR Miniworks (field cleanable) filter looks like a decent choice for silty water with a lot of glacier flour. I tried chlorine tabs only last time and it was pretty much a disaster. I have a Kataydn Pro, never used. I will check out the items mentioned by InFlight and will also welcome any advice or recommendations. Gravity filter I saw being used, mostly by groups.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 1:02 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
I tried chlorine tabs only last time and it was pretty much a disaster.
What was the issue with it, I ask because I have used iodine/chlorine tablets or boiling exclusively for years. Last fall I was gifted a steripen and have used it exclusively this year and have not died yet 😆. The flower can be reduced a bit using a bandana type rag with a rubber band of nalgene before I fill.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 7:25 am 
Quote:
What was the issue with it, I ask because I have used iodine/chlorine tablets or boiling exclusively for years.
I too have used iodine/chlorine tablets +/- boiling exclusively for years because of not wanting to carry extra gadgets. The failure was in my not anticipating how bad the unfiltered turbid water would taste for drinking, and possibly also more iodine residue caught up in the suspended material. AFAIK, the chemistry itself did not fail.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 pm 
Since this thread has been revived. I have switched to the BeFree filter for overnight use. I like the much higher flow rate over the Sawyer. The bag options are more limited with the bigger 42 mm size. My son picked up the Newer MSR Trailshot, and I’ve tried it out multiple times. It’s a nice size, light, and you can add a coffee-filter/rubber-band pre-filter. It fine for quickly filling a water bottle, but a bit of a workout for filtering a bunch of water at once. I do like not messing with filling dirty water bags,

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau