Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Temporary Target Shooting Bans in Forested Landscapes DNR 08/03/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 8:30 pm 
Friday August 03, 2018 16:46 PDT Special Notice: Temporary Target Shooting Bans in Forested Landscapes In order to help prevent wildfires, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is temporary banning all target shooting on 3 million acres of DNR-managed lands. This includes state forests, community forests, and forested state lands. As a precaution. Commissioner Franz is encouraging private landowners to consider target shooting restrictions on their own lands as well. “Current conditions require us to take reasonable steps to reduce wildfire risk,” said Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz. “Within days we expect to surpass the average number of wildfires that my crews normally respond to within an entire wildfire season. Resources are stretched and we must all do our part to protect our communities and our firefighters.” Shooting at targets poses greater risk in dry conditions as bullets pass through decayed wood, cause sparks off rocks, or break into fragments in dry grass. This temporary rule does not restrict hunting, as firearms are discharged less frequently. Washington is extremely hot and dry, with ninety-six percent of the state in drought-like conditions. Vegetation is very dry and getting drier. On average, DNR responds to 22 wildfires on DNR-managed lands each year caused by shooting – that includes illegal explosive targets and target practice. The temporary ban goes into effect this Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is also restricting shooting on WDFW-managed lands beginning Saturday. The DNR target shooting ban is expected to last through Sept. 30, 2018, though may be extended or shortened based upon ongoing fire conditions. The agency is encouraging target shooters to visit local private and public target range facilities during this time. -Washington State Department of Natural Resources- (* emphasis added *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 9:02 pm 
Good too know sadly I heard a bunch of plinking on USFS lands along the Mountain Loop Hwy today.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message