Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:48 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Athena12345

Athena12345
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:50 pm 
Max77 wrote:
pula58 wrote:
No amount of facts and reasoning can sway the folks who are believing in magic.
Magic?
It's groupthink herd mentality magical thinking. Love and light will bring her home alive. Our magical creator will bring us victory at last. Our prayer magic will get us whatever we want, and if it doesn't, it's because our magical creator has better, more special plans just for us. We are special. We cannot deal with the reality that we are small, powerless creatures living in a vast universe on a planet whose timeline is unthinkably longer than our lifespans. We matter! We matter! We are magic!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
pula58

pula58
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 pm 
Max77 wrote:
Magic?
Yes, magic, the belief in the miraculous for example. Some still think they will find her alive up there. Some think that if you keep trying everything is possible. But not everything is possible. No one could be alive up there after all this time..no matter how hard you hope.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:54 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
Tom wrote:
Some of you seem to have lost perspective.
Could you clarify this comment?
it is easy to become passionate about the discussion. Once discussion starts to drift away from concerns about stewardship or safety to generalizations of the individual I think perspective has been lost.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 1:58 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
HoosierinPNW

HoosierinPNW
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:28 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
It reminds me more of #thoughts&prayers. Confronted by tragedy? Easier to offer a platitude than take the considerable time and effort required to become involved in a solution or contemplate your own beliefs and actions. The convenience and relentless barrage of social media facilitates this.
I literally told someone that this morning. This whole thing is reminiscent to me of the "thoughts & prayers" mantra after mass shootings. And that drives me crazy--as I told my husband whenever one of those happens, thoughts and prayers mean nothing unless they're coupled to meaningful action, however that's defined based on one's political leanings. I also speculated where the majority of Sam's Army lies with respect to national tragedies like mass shootings--are they on the "thoughts and prayers" side or the gun control side (i.e., one example of "action")? If on the latter, it just shows the hypocrisy and irrationality of what's happening in their group re: Sam's disappearance. (I'm not trying to make any political statements here, by the way, just emphasizing how irrational and contradictory the folks in that FB group are and some issues I have with people like this on a larger level in our society.)

Freesolo

Freesolo
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
https://www.gofundme.com/mountaineers-for-findsamsayers
You know who should be offended by this is The Mountaineers, the actual Mountaineers. From the go fund me... "Please help these 4 brave mountaineers continue the search to bring Sam home to her family and loved ones. " Is Budd Carr an Everett Mountaineer? Is this search sansctioned by The Seattle Mountaineers? Can I please see Budd Carrs climbing resume? What's the last 10 things Budd climbed? Does he even own climbing shoes? Does he even do low speed volcano, snow walk ups? This guy needs to be investigated by the Sheriff not Doug. His go Fund Me should read 49th Parallel Survival School but that's not a real business either. Says they needed the money to take time off work? Who employs them?

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:53 pm 
The Mountaineers club doesn't own the term mountaineer. I am not in that club, but I am definitley a mountaineer. That said, he seems to be more on the christian identity, survivalist, prepper, gun enthusiast, side of things, and not really a hiker or climber. He and Kevin must have really hit it off. From the outside it seems like a grifter latching onto the family, but Kevin seems to be ok with him.

swimz
dudeyeah

swimz
dudeyeah
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:01 pm 
No way is this guy representing anything having to do with Christian identity. Also, the mantra said by Sam's army about "love and light" is not the same as "thoughts and prayers" There wording choice is specific to a New Age religion, they have some meaning behind it when they say it that means more than what is said. ((Not all may realize this.)) But there's an ideology associated with the saying. The mom is involving "mediums" i.e., psychics in the search. When they say their mantra, they mean more than howdy doody and good day to ya.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Sam isn't the only missing person in America at the present time, not even the only missing person in WA. Or even the only missing hiker in WA for that matter. Why the frenetic compassion for Sam over others? Middle class (upper middle class?) Attractive white girl.
cambajamba wrote:
Like, on multiple levels. You think guys like Bud are likely to go to these kind of lengths for bearded smelly thru hiker loners? Not likely.
Tom wrote:
Some of you seem to have lost perspective.
Actually, Tom, this is a bona fide "thing", not all that out of line for this discussion, ie, "who gets searched for", and how hard. Way back in this thread, Kiliki made reference to a book review from the NYTimes on this very topic: Coming of Age and Becoming a Writer in an America Obsessed with 'Dead Girls' The dead girl is usually not a girl but a young woman, and her death is usually not natural but intentional and violent. Her exemplar is Laura Palmer, of “Twin Peaks,” an idea of a girl unconnected to reality. As Bolin observes, “Everyone loves the Dead Girl,” but, of course, “that’s why we love her: because she’s dead, and her death is the catalyst for the fun of sleuthing.” She’s a blank slate onto which a male protagonist can project his fantasies, mostly about himself. Some of the circus around Sam Sayers' disappearance is classic textbook for this. Of course the adeptness of some of the protagonists with social media (not to mention the mother's MLM reach) has exploded this even more. And who was facilitating all the extra media time (radio interviews, etc)? The BF, I believe.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:12 pm 
swimz wrote:
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:01 pm swimz wrote: ¨ No way is this guy representing anything having to do with Christian identity.
He looks like the poster child for it, actually. The term refers to an extremist ideology, not Christianity itself, by the way.

Max77

Max77
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 pm 
Athena12345 wrote:
This issue is, of course, interweaving itself into the other issues, such as grief, fascination with mysteries, fascination with lost women, the relative importance of a lost young white woman vs. other lost people, etc.
I understand your point, but there is such a thing as unbiased strangers who truly care with no other motives or whats mentioned above. I can’t believe what this tragedy has created.

Athena12345

Athena12345
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:20 pm 
Max77 wrote:
Athena12345 wrote:
This issue is, of course, interweaving itself into the other issues, such as grief, fascination with mysteries, fascination with lost women, the relative importance of a lost young white woman vs. other lost people, etc.
I understand your point, but there is such a thing as unbiased strangers who truly care with no other motives or whats mentioned above. I can’t believe what this tragedy has created.
Yes, agreed. First and foremost, the original, actual SAR responders would fall into the category you mention of "unbiased strangers who truly care" and (I would add) who can exercise sound judgment.

XrayGal

XrayGal
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm 
There is two missing hikers in the same town that Bud lives in... Patty Krieger and Jason Lovelady. I wonder if he has went looking for them?

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 3:37 pm 
There are 4 GoFundMes now for this. One for Sams parents that has around $8500 in it. https://www.gofundme.com/5tbnf-lisa-and-ron-sayers Another for the Search Efforts to Find Sam Sayers, $56,000 . https://www.gofundme.com/Search-efforts-for-Sam-Sayers Bud Carr has another that has over $7000 in it. https://www.gofundme.com/mountaineers-for-findsamsayers The 4th one is for someone with a dog that wants to fly out and search for Sam. No money yet. https://www.gofundme.com/expenses-for-search-for-sam-sayers If they want dogs up there, why not just hire someone with the $56,000? People and dogs walking around near the trail and up to the summit seems like a waste of time, those obvious areas have been searched over and over, but if that's what they want all they have to do is hire someone. With some of that donated cash.