Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:27 pm 
Freesolo wrote:
Is Budd Carr an Everett Mountaineer? Is this search sansctioned by The Seattle Mountaineers? Can I please see Budd Carrs climbing resume?
To an informed observer, his involvement speaks volumes to the family's desperation. No one with credibility would be involved in their current ill conceived private effort at this point. I'm not dismissing the possibility there may be other activities which would receive credible support. But here's the problem: Go Fund Me cash may be driven more by a desire for "theater" rather than effective action. If so this is very sad. Regardless of some mistakes, I do believe Mr. Dares Sr. is acting in good faith, mainly out of a sense of duty to Sam's father. As I said earlier I briefly encountered both men traveling together on the Vesper Peak trail during the second week of the search. While the encounter was brief, it certainly made an impression on me. The whole thing has spun terribly out of control.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:28 pm 
pula58 wrote:
I cannot believe the forest service DNR allowed this.
They caved. I'm speculating they didn't want to get chewed up and spat out by social media, or someone higher up didn't want to get chewed up and spat out by social media and told them to allow it. Very few are willing to stand up to that kind of abuse. Would you be?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Drinkupjimmy
Wanderer like you

Drinkupjimmy
Wanderer like you
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:31 pm 
Can I make a suggestion to the group? The Sam Sayers search group has created several petitions. Can someone from this group do the same if it has not already been done? Maybe compile an organized list of concerns? I would be happy to sign it as I’m sure most here would. Going through the petitions to get a team up there, most of the people who signed it are not from the area. If we can get a collective group of tax payers in the area to form a petition maybe it can shut them down. I wanted Sam to be found too, but that’s not how this works. We’re all aware that when you get lost for weeks or die out there you don’t come back. They aren’t going to find her body, but they are going to hurt the fragile ecosystem. Not only that, but I am very uncomfortable with this covert pseudo-military operation going on on public land. It does feel like the Oregon bird sanctuary hostage situation all over again. There is so much wrong with what they’re doing, I don’t even know where to start. Can someone compile a list of concerns in the form of a petition?

pula58

pula58
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:33 pm 
I just wrote to Peter Forbes (Forest Service) to ask that he, or one his staff, go up there and look at what's happening, and lay down the law. Perhaps if some others here (On NWHIKERS) would do the same we can minimize the damage. https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42059127_10160840070735254_6947804926420451328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=120e226310faced5db7f41e0a20c72e2&oe=5C244AB2

NativeWoman

NativeWoman
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:34 pm 
I am worried about what is happening in my backyard- I live near town, this is my place of peace. And while I am beyond sympathetic for her direct family and maybe some of her friends... the things I have seen on their "page" or Budd Carrs "page" have me worried for my town, our emergency service employees and first responders and I am scared for all of those extremely naive people heading up the mountain, thinking this is a David and Goliath mission. On Friday- in a video that Budd Carr posted to his Facebook page, he makes first some implied threats and then some pretty direct threats against law enforcement and forestry services- he also comments about cutting down and burning the entire mountain side- and this is the man they are holding up as their leader of their mission. I don't want to see anyone else hurt or killed up there, and this guy is going to get somebody hurt, I have no doubt. This is beyond a search party or rescue mission- these people think they are on a crusade

Coastal Wolf

Coastal Wolf
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 pm 
Thanks to all of you too. I've learned a lot from the SAR folks here and have a lot more food for thought for my own solo adventures. I always rolled my eyes as those social media posts of people who lay out all of their gear before a trip but I now realize that's actually super important info and maybe I should send that along with my trip plan. I'm also going to be updating my living will about what I do and do not want to happen should I go missing. If you don't have a living will you can download a template at Get Your sh## Together.com https://www.gyst.com/ I've also learned a ton about how many people actually go missing and how many are sadly not found and have been reading some of those stories posted here. I guess it's something I've known but not necessarily gotten into the details on before. One of my take-aways from this whole thing is that our society has real issues grappling with death and our own mortality. Much more so than in other countries. Perhaps I've just lost one too many friends to random falls and accidents and known of too many experienced outdoors people who have died doing what they love out there that I have a different perspective than Sam's family. Sam's Mom mentioned the other day that she had a choice between hope and sorrow and she was choosing hope. Of course it's her choice. But knowing what we know about the conditions, and the terrain, and the probability that Sam is still alive it's a false choice. Brene Brown says that compassion does not exist without boundaries. In my view it would be more compassionate to help Sam's Mom move into the grieving process, a natural part of life that almost all of us experience, than to let her continue with the fantasy that Sam is alive. Max77 I guess we'll just have to disagree on that.

trisaratop

trisaratop
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm 
NativeWoman wrote:
On Friday- in a video that Budd Carr posted to his Facebook page, he makes first some implied threats and then some pretty direct threats against law enforcement and forestry services- he also comments about cutting down and burning the entire mountain side- and this is the man they are holding up as their leader of their mission.
He also wrote on FB, "In light of all these new developments, this is why all my gear is camo. So if you have to go in on a clandestine search operation, you can maintain your covertness." Along with other posts trashing the USFS and so forth. Given the lack of professionalism displayed by Mr. Carr as the leader of this "mission," and the lack of any mountaineering or SAR experience, I have a bad feeling that someone will get hurt/lost and need rescuing themselves. And since most of them are in camo, it will be much harder to spot them if are in such a position...

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:51 pm 
Can someone post pics of the camp please? I can't see them at the Facebook link. Thank You

Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:52 pm 
monkeypuzzled wrote:
Looks ilke they've set up camp. https://www.facebook.com/groups/194935701378932/
The “Forward Operating Base”, which can be officially named “Camp Giardia King", is now set up. They set up right next to the trail on live vegetation. This was a concern expressed by the Forrest Service in the email exchange. How ignorant.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
rongoms

rongoms
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 pm 
Submitted without comment. (for now) "base camp"

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm 
I will repost the emails that Ski posted earlier, as it seems like it's time for another round of emails. This is abuse of public lands and threats against public employees. I will also be cc'ing my elected officials. This might be small potatoes to Patty Murray, Maria Cantwell and even my state representatives, but I think it's important for the DNR and FS to see that I'm looping them in. And as someone that works for a Large Federal Land Management Agency, I know that sometimes it's surprising what catches the attention of an elected official. > Peter Forbes, District Ranger, Darrington RD, MBSNF: pforbes@fs.fed.us > Jean Fike, NW Region Manager, DNR: Jean.Fike@dnr.wa.gov > Bob Redling, DNR Communications and Outreach: bob.redling@dnr.wa.gov > Hilary Franz, Commissioner DNR: cpl@dnr.wa.gov

monkeypuzzled

monkeypuzzled
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:57 pm 
I have to remind myself that most of these people don't understand that this isn't "grass" in a nice sea-level campground.

“Hunters will tell you that a moose is a wily and ferocious forest creature. Nonsense. A moose is a cow drawn by a three-year-old.” --Bill Bryson
rongoms

rongoms
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:58 pm 
tuck and roll

tuck and roll
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:59 pm 
OH WOW!!! I've been on several search missions and I can't ever remember a lot of standing/sitting around camp during daylight hours & clear weather when things were URGENT!!!

rongoms

rongoms
PostTue Sep 18, 2018 5:01 pm 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ SO. MUCH. THIS.