Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 7:29 am 
This is the terrain they're searching in
Photos from Everett Mountain Rescue

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
brewermd

brewermd
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 am 
Schroder, thank you for being the voice of reason.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
asdf

asdf
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 4:45 pm 
Coming back to this after 5 days on trail and am saddened to see she has not yet been found. Those suspecting something nefarious, I would not jump to that conclusion just yet. All it would take is a bit of a deviation off trail, a fall into some thick undergrowth, and one's remains might not be found for a decade. I do agree it is looking less and less likely that she will be found alive.

Wikkedt
Wikkedt

Wikkedt
Wikkedt
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 6:33 pm 
Hi, I have a couple of questions that Im hoping someone can answer about vesper. How long from the trailhead to summit, for your average Joe, in average to good physical shape. Tia

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 7:08 pm 
Wikkedt wrote:
Hi, I have a couple of questions that Im hoping someone can answer about vesper. How long from the trailhead to summit, for your average Joe, in average to good physical shape. Tia
It's a very strenuous hike, definitely get an early start as the first say 1/4 is in pretty much full sun. Then when you enter Wirtz basin it should be much cooler and not as exposed to sun. I think it took me a good 8 hours RT, but you are probably younger and in better shape than me. Be aware of rockfall, especially while ascending Headlee pass and if someone is descending, be really watchful.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
TheFlash

TheFlash
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:04 pm 
Schroder wrote:
This is the terrain they're searching in
So what is the current thought? She went south down vesper creek and west toward Spada or east? What has been searched in those areas?

bk

bk
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 pm 
To Wikkedt's question about time and distance . . . . . . very rough numbers . . . dist. to Vesper summit: ~4 miles elev. gain: ~4,000 feet time (one-way): 4 hours (Time calculated using a walking-time rule-of-thumb variation of Naismith's rule . . . adding time for some rests . . . ) (...add more time if you're looking for someone, or something . . . or enjoying the views ) Not sure why you're asking. If you're asking because you're thinking of hiking up there, yourself, for your first time . . . . . . when you get to the mouth of this basin (starting at the square in this [very sketchy] map, there is an illusion where the turn to the west [corrected from "east" to say "west"] to ascend to Headlee Pass (the circle area, very approx.) is not visible from the square area . . . and it's not visible even during most of the trek south, up the basin. Even savvy, seasoned hikers, hiking this for their first time, have been known to cut-up early, mistakenly, (at the "X" location) and pre-maturely head west [corrected from "east" to say "west"] up at least one gully too soon (and then have to backtrack). One has to go clear back to the headwall of the basin . . . to the vertical backwall . . . before the turn-off to Headlee visibly reveals itself. It's quite the illusion. (This is not to suggest that Sam had this issue. Since she had done this hike before, she certainly knew about hiking clear back to the headwall . . . and, it's not an issue coming back on the return hike . . . . this is just for you, Wikkedt, if you're thinking of going there for the first time, for yourself....)

Wikkedt
Wikkedt

Wikkedt
Wikkedt
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 11:43 pm 
Thanks for your reply.. will do!

protectkidz

protectkidz
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 am 
I can't seem to post a pic, but follow this link to a new flyer with updated FAQ with some answers to some questions: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10160694923610254&set=gm.204339593771876&type=3&theater&ifg=1

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 pm 
Sorry, wikkedt, at the risk of belaboring the obvious: if you cannot discern the details you were soliciting here (and drifting the thread) from your own examination of a map, Vesper is not the hike for you. There is an intense search already going on.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 3:23 pm 
Here are maps of the searched areas that Kevin Dares has posted.
Bootprints mentioned earlier were found not to be Sam's.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 pm 
This is discouraging because it has been 12 days now. If it is true that she reached the summit of Vesper and then started back down, that eliminates a lot of territory. If she did not reach Vesper, that would seemingly eliminate even more area she could possibly be. If she is not found soon, then there will have to come a point in the mext week or so that the active search is called off. That is going to be a difficult call for the family and friends. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
vasiSAR
vasiSAR

vasiSAR
vasiSAR
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:29 pm 
I am a member of a SAR team, but not involved in this mission. Participating in a search like this is totally consuming both mentally and physically. Even after several exhausting days in the woods, you go to bed and are kept awake thinking about where the person might be. Mentally retracing your path in the woods, speculating what the person may have done to become lost. Before volunteering as a SAR ground searcher, I had no idea of the extreme physical pain that a group of volunteer men and women will endure to bring a lost person home. Going off trail in conditions the average hiker would never consider to venture. Having reviewed the topography of the search area, I have the greatest respect for the challenges the searchers have endured during this mission. I am hoping, wishing and preying she is found.

vasiSAR
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:44 pm 
There are many of us who are in total awe of and have so much admiration for what SAR does. As well, we completely understand the witchery of the terrain being searched in this case. Thanks for the heartfelt reminder of what's involved for the men, women (and dogs!) doing this work and the toll it takes. I do hope the family is donating a good portion of funds from their gofundme account to SAR, since the "what you can do" list from that facebook page does not include donating to SAR.

asdf

asdf
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:47 pm 
Hey Vasi, What are the requirements of a SAR volunteer? I've been thinking of getting more involved and I would like to contribute back. But I do have a 'day job' as a 9-5er.