Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:10 pm 
Interesting, thanks. Both manufacturers say that you need to register the device, which includes providing your identity, address, contacts, etc, which is obviously something I would do. Yes, battery life is 5 years and you need to send it back to be replaced for something like $150. But the Garmin/InReach subscription is like $60/month!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 pm 
I use a ResQLink. Light and easy. no subscription and 406 MHz beacons are good all over the world. We took it to UK. Don't care about messaging but there is a rudimentary service available with ResQLink. It probably limits the battery life though. I just call when i can get a signal. I tell my wife that chances are as good that I trip the beacon for someone else I run into as for myself.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 pm 
Foist wrote:
Both manufacturers say that you need to register the device, which includes providing your identity, address, contacts, etc, which is obviously something I would do.
Interesting. I've heard a number of stories where this was an issue, including this insane one. It sounds like, at least at the time, not registering was pretty easy. It seems weird to me that a person would acquire an emergency signaling device and then not bother to "tie" it to themselves with such information. Perhaps people selling the device and the new owner not updating the info? I know you can also rent these some places, and I'm not sure what shows up for this information when that happens.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:21 pm 
mike wrote:
I use a ResQLink. Light and easy. no subscription and 406 MHz beacons are good all over the world. We took it to UK. Don't care about messaging but there is a rudimentary service available with ResQLink. It probably limits the battery life though. I just call when i can get a signal. I tell my wife that chances are as good that I trip the beacon for someone else I run into as for myself.
Mike, have you used the test function to make sure the signal is being received?

pcg

pcg
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 5:16 pm 
Foist wrote:
the Garmin/InReach subscription is like $60/month!
Not true. I pay $11.95/month. This thread has drifted off topic and this conversation has happened many times over. I suggest if you are wondering what to buy, Google something like "inreach vs. spot vs. resqlink" and start another thread or resurrect an old one if you want to discuss further.

mike

mike
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 5:16 pm 
Foist wrote:
Mike, have you used the test function to make sure the signal is being received?
Not in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 pm 
Foist wrote:
But the Garmin/InReach subscription is like $60/month!
No. Our plan is $13/month
Yana wrote:
The other thing that bothers me about PLBs is that they can be used without providing an emergency contact or even personal information
Really? It's been awhile since I renewed our PLB registration with NOAA, but I seem to recall supplying name, address and other info.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Really? It's been awhile since I renewed our PLB registration with NOAA, but I seem to recall supplying name, address and other info.
Good for you. Not everyone does. That's my point. See above example of idiot thinking his PLB was an avalanche transceiver and activating the SOS every time he went skiing. He had not registered his PLB and he did this multiple times before he finally forgot to turn it off and they had enough time to find him.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:08 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
As of yesterday, the search was officially continuing. Is this because the county is afraid of the crazy family? It has been a recovery for the last five days.
Um no, it can't be a recovery without a body. Until then, it is still a search. Many factors go into how long to search, what/where to search, and how to search. Deciding whether or not to search or continue to search for someone based on the the actions/behavior of their family would be silly, in this or any other instance.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:16 pm 
Yana wrote:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
As of yesterday, the search was officially continuing. Is this because the county is afraid of the crazy family? It has been a recovery for the last five days.
Um no, it can't be a recovery without a body. Until then, it is still a search. Many factors go into how long to search, what/where to search, and how to search. Deciding whether or not to search or continue to search for someone based on the the actions/behavior of their family would be silly, in this or any other instance.
Um yea. A google search is full of officials stating that the search is now a body recovery without any idea of where the body could be. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-19/search-operation-now-a-recovery-mission-missing-trawler-crew-qld/9066534 Searches are commonly affected by the media and press. To think otherwise is silly.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 pm 
Yes, the media always gets the terminology right. wink.gif

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:19 pm 
I thought you were asking a question, not stating an opinion you clearly have no intent on changing. My bad, carry on.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:30 pm 
Yana wrote:
Yes, the media always gets the terminology right. wink.gif
I can supply examples of Tim Setnicka saying the same thing in the same context. I don’t think he’s in the media.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 pm 
Yana wrote:
I thought you were asking a question, not stating an opinion you clearly have no intent on changing. My bad, carry on.
My question remains. When are they going to accept the obvious.

DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:39 pm 
First, this is the perfect place and time to discuss all this. I just had a conversation with a co worker about this topic, spot vs inreach vs other. I just posted one of these conversations and it was a great consolidated reference with examples of successes and failures. Why not? Back to topic of Spot. I have used mine for about 5 years and it works as advertised in the pacific nw all four seasons. There are 5 functions. All are one way - outbound 1. SOS, Panic, HELP. No real customization except you can add any medical issues you might have. Diabetes etc. The rest of these are pre-typed and can be sent to a long list of emails that you pre-enter. 2. Check in. Pre-typed. Mine says "Love you babe!" and emails a link to the findmespot website where my exact location is pinpointed on a topo map and lat long are provided. 3. Custom. Could be anything to any email. Mine is to 6 or 7 family and friends and says "Hi from the Cascades!" and again the link to where I am. 4. Help/Spot S.O.V. Just another custom message with same link except it is labeled "Help message from SPOT MyNameSpot". Mine says "Hi babe! Running late but I am OK." (She called the sheriff twice anyway. Once the Missoula sheriff called me on my cell on Sheep Mnt in Montana. Another time the Chelan sheriff met me on the road down from Stuart lk trailhead. Nice conversations both times. They were just happy I was OK.). 5. Tracking mode. Pre-set on webpage to check in at a set interval. ten minutes, two hours, daily, whatever. It will try to transmit on the interval and failure is an option. The spot has to be positioned where it can connect with at least one satellite with a strong signal. Inside a pack or snow cave are not conducive to strong signals. Heavy timber overhead has blocked many of my tracking and even some messages. This has no message. It just shows the series of pinpointed locations on a map on my page. So if I were to head into nasty territory I could turn it on. If I was unconscious it would continue to send from my location if it could get a signal. I doubt that this would work if I were on top of it. But theoretically it would give previous locations and direction of travel. I have played with mine set at 10 minutes a few times and it worked well. I just renewed at $192 for 1 year. Steep if you ask me but I have the device and it is a comfort to my wife to get my check in messages. It started at $99 and creeps up like a nasty rash. It works great for me for what I use it for. If I were going to look at another device or plan I would look at the inreach because of the month to month rate and two way communication. Everything I know apart from my spot, I learned on this site or from links on this site. Thank you!

"May you live in interesting times"