Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker on Vesper Peak
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 7:17 pm 
Why would they tell her to tear a corner off the bag and leave it so they could track her? Isn't it taught in lost 101 that you stay put? Hug a tree? Does anyone remember hug a tree?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 pm 
Yes, the advice is not on point, but the items would be lifesaving. I think the bag strategy is a long shot, with some downside, but the most important thing is to find her.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
asdf

asdf
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:18 pm 
What is the point of those bags? They should have a $8 smoke flare, not a compass and instructions to tear off a corner of a note.

philfort

philfort
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:20 pm 
That's a very odd note (tear off and put it back in the bag), almost like they are expecting her not to want to be found (but want to make sure she has food if she needs it). Hopefully they find some more clues soon...

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 pm 
asdf wrote:
What is the point of those bags? They should have a $8 smoke flare, not a compass and instructions to tear off a corner of a note.
There are maps in the bags, so the compas would help if the location was marked on the map.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 pm 
philfort wrote:
That's a very odd note (tear off and put it back in the bag)
Yes, because it requires a second or third trip to check on the bag, at which point if she did find a bag they should be hot on her trail.

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 pm 
Are their Blackhawks that assist with SAR? I just had one fly over Snohomish headed straight for that area just after dark. We see Blackhawks fairly regularly (Air National Guard, I assume?), but the direction of travel made me wonder.

TK

TK
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 am 
This whole thing is very mysterious. I will leave it at that.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 8:57 am 
philfort wrote:
That's a very odd note (tear off and put it back in the bag), almost like they are expecting her not to want to be found (but want to make sure she has food if she needs it).
^ I That Are they sharing anything about Sam's emotional state. A couple weeks ago there was a search for a woman and it was included in the new release that she was / had been depressed. A Facebook post a day or say later, mentioned that it had a sad ending. She drove to one of her favorite areas. Not saying Sam is depressed, but, also not hearing if she is / was distraught. I could understand not wanting to share that as it would lessen the urgency and I think less people would want to get involved if someone did not want to be found

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:01 am 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
philfort wrote:
That's a very odd note (tear off and put it back in the bag)
Yes, because it requires a second or third trip to check on the bag, at which point if she did find a bag they should be hot on her trail.
If they were coordinating with SAR (which SAR would probably advise them to not go full bore on arranging search parties comprised of untrained people on their own), but if there was any advice, it would be to include whistles in the bags and tell her to STAY WHERE SHE IS and use the whistle to signal. Why ask her to leave breadcrumbs to follow around in circles as if it's a game? But as Schroder says, they’re distraught and not thinking it through.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:05 am 
That's a pretty rugged area, finding someone who is injured and immobilized is far from certain. Rough situation for all concerned. There is still a chance for a good outcome.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:14 am 
Yes! Remember the woman lost in the Pratt Valley in winter several years ago. I think she was lost 3 or 4 days in winter conditions. And the woman lost on the Stetattle, I think 5 days.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:25 am 
The Pratt event was at a much colder time of year. She spent two cold nights out. Cindy Wysocki, Thanksgiving 2006 - Another night could’ve meant death Hoping for a good outcome for this search up.gif

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 am 
I had an idea once about dropping packages with items in it. But they would pull on a cord and it would activate a GPS signal and also a light would flash and a noise would emit. And a chopper could drop several of them. Of course they would have to deactivate after a few days in case somene found them and pulled them for fun and then... Ah forget it! Its a terrible idea! I hope they find Sam soon!

JimK

JimK
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 10:38 am 
There is an 11 page thread on this site of a similar situation in 2005. The two hikers were found okay on the Sultan Basin Road near the Greider Trailhead. Vesper Missing Hikers