Forum Index > Trip Reports > Middle Fork Snoqualmie River
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 am 
Did a little fishing and exploring up the middle fork river last month. The intent was to park and wade river and camp across the river from the busy road. Couldn't find a great place to do so. Did find one homeless camp, jar of olives, and had someone decide to camp 20 feet from us. rant.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:03 pm 
I will never understand the mindset of folks who show up in the backcountry and proceed to camp in your lap. On our trip to Cougar lake last month we had folks eyeballing a bare spot not 50' from our camp in spite of empty camps elsewhere. Entire lake empty but for us...and then, them, I couldn't believe it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
hbb

hbb
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:03 pm 
What was the thinking behind dragging that fish up on the beach and then picking it up with dry hands to release it?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 3:39 pm 
i woulda eat that thing

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 4:56 pm 
hbb wrote:
What was the thinking behind dragging that fish up on the beach and then picking it up with dry hands to release it?
Lighten up! It's not the Yakima or Entiat River. I too am a catch & release guy, but I don't frown on folks who keep their catch.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Mikey

Mikey
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 10:57 pm 
Washington State Sport Fishing Regulations: Snoqualmie River from Snoqualmie Falls upstream including North and South forks. All SPECIES - selective gear rules. Internal combustion motors prohibited. Trout: Saturday before Memorial Day-Oct. 31 Min. size 10". Daily limit 2. So catching and keeping 2 trout 10" and larger is legal.

hbb

hbb
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 am 
Wow. The ignorance in this thread is remarkable.
Washington State Fish and Wildlife wrote:
Snoqualmie River, Middle Fork - King Co. from mouth upstream including all tributaries (852) ALL GAME FISH Year-round Catch-and-release. Selective gear rules. Internal combustion motors prohibited.

hbb

hbb
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am 
Mikey wrote:
Washington State Sport Fishing Regulations: Snoqualmie River from Snoqualmie Falls upstream including North and South forks. All SPECIES - selective gear rules. Internal combustion motors prohibited. Trout: Saturday before Memorial Day-Oct. 31 Min. size 10". Daily limit 2. So catching and keeping 2 trout 10" and larger is legal.
You somehow managed to omit this part: "and all tributaries except Middle Fork and tributaries to the Middle Fork." So, catching and keeping any fish from the Middle Fork is poaching.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 2:18 pm 
In my opinion, you can keep em there

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 3:03 pm 
Oops! Nevermind. It in fact is, just like the Yakima & Entiat Rivers.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Mikey

Mikey
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 10:21 pm 
Thanks hbb. I thought the Middle Fork Snoqualmie was catch and release but my copy of the WDFW Fishing Regulations does not mention Snoqualmie Middle Fork on page 40 under Snoqualmie River. Page 40 Snoqualmie Rivers (King/Snohomish Co.) from mouth to boat ramp at Plum access from boat ramp at Plum access to Snoqualmie Falls from Snoqualmie Falls upstream including Nort h and South forks Snoqualmie River Tributaries The Middle Fork Snoqualmie River fishing regulations are shown on page 41 as if the Snoqualmie Middle Fork was a river not in the Snoqualmie River system. Page 41 Snoqualmie River, Middle For k (King. Co.) from mouth upstream including all tributaries except Pratt and Taylor rivers. All Game Fish Year-round Catch-and-release and selective gear rules. Internal combustion motors prohibited. In my opinion, the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River regulations should be on page 40 along with the North and South Fork regs. Communicating in clear understandable English has not been apparent in the WDFW regulations for some years, probably since the Wash State Dept of Wildlife was combined with the Wash State Dept of Fisheries. 1932 - An initiative separated food fish and game fish and created a Department of Fisheries (food fish) under an appointed Director and a Department of Game (game fish) under a six member commission. 1987 - Legislature changed Department of Game, with a Commission-appointed director, to Department of Wildlife with a Director appointed by the Governor. 1994 - Legislature merged Department of Wildlife and Department of Fisheries, creating Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). WDFW has a 9-member Commission and the WDFW Director is appointed by the Commission.

Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 am 
fencing.gif

hbb

hbb
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 pm 
Mikey wrote:
Thanks hbb. I thought the Middle Fork Snoqualmie was catch and release but my copy of the WDFW Fishing Regulations does not mention Snoqualmie Middle Fork on page 40 under Snoqualmie River.
I'm not sure what you've been looking at. Get a copy of the current regulations: https://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01998/wdfw01998.pdf For the Middle Fork, however, there's really no excuse for not knowing the rules. Just before before the Mailbox trailhead, there's a huge sign on the side of the road that says "ATTENTION ANGLERS" in big letters, and then goes on to explain it is a catch-and-release only fishery. The same information is posted at a number of trailhead kiosks. It could be a great fishery, but between poaching and bait fisherman, it gets hammered pretty hard.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 pm 
hbb wrote:
It could be a great fishery, but between poaching and bait fisherman, it gets hammered pretty hard.
I don't know much about fishing, what does this mean?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 8:16 pm 
No good post goes unpunished, scientist

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers