Forum Index > Trail Talk > Circle Lake - Fire pits ARE garbage
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 11:30 am 
We found fire pits..what a bummer. I hope all of us learn the ways of leave no trace once and for all. Fires are like leaving garbage that takes 20 or so years to disappear. Then there's the aluminum foil in the fire pit, and the charred pieces of wood. The signs along the trail clearly state "no fires above 5000'." I wonder which part of the word "no" do people not understand? To me it seems incredibly selfish to make a fire for one or two nights of pleasure and have your fleeting pleasure make an impact for the next 20 years (the time it takes for fit pits to slowly be covered by nature/flora (if flora is even possible at the location). O.K. rage over. Please people, leave no trace. Not "some" trace, "no" trace, so other people can enjoy the beauty of a natural setting without being subjected to garbage left behind (and fire pits ARE garbage).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gil

Gil
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 12:07 pm 
You are absolutely right. I try to dismantle them when I can.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 12:50 pm 
If you do it right no one can tell where your fire was. I understand the issue of fire safety and denuding sparse areas but the overall angst generated by the fire topic itself...especially if we wish to wade into the realities of all aspects of selfish choices, and I do not mean ignoring some of them I suggest a fire pit gripe with no actual trip details is better suited for the stewardship forum

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm 
Wrong forum....unless you want to add a trip report....I'd love to see one.

pula58

pula58
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:13 pm 
You guys/gals might be right about this not being the right forum. Is there a way to move my post to another forum without double posting?

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 2:51 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
If you do it right no one can tell where your fire was.
Well then, it wouldn't be a fire pit would it? The (legitimate) complaint is about the long term scarring caused by fire pits. I've seen it happen many times - if someone wants to build a fire, they're going to build a fire, regardless of signs or bans. Besides, even your clever, tiny fire carries the possibility of igniting a wildfire during times of extreme hazard.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 5:00 pm 
Trip Report: I got 4 at Snowy Lakes and 3 or 4 at Cutthtroat Pass -- all above 6500' I think. How do people even find anything to burn at that elevation? I've found fire rings that looked over 100 years old, grassy, mossy -- still obvious as a sore thumb. It is so hard to be humble when you're holier than everybody else....

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 5:47 pm 
It is pretty alpine no good reason to have a fire. You would have to haul wood up from below, why bother?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
You would have to haul wood up from below, why bother?
The real big ragers you gotta work for

pula58

pula58
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 am 
We also found (and could not remove) some chewing gum stuck into a crevice in the rock next to the (garbage) fire pit. Unbelievable. A place like this, that is not on a main trail, which has the lure of being a remote/untraveled pristine place. One would assume that a person would go there to be where no one usually goes, to enjoy the pristine unmarked landscape. Then why leave a trace (garbage)?

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
If you do it right no one can tell where your fire was.
that's a load of sh##. Look around Circle Lake at the few krummholz trees available for mostly only green wood and you'll see where people have slashed off boughs to burn and cut down the few small dead snags. I suppose you'd pack it in from down below then? Where does your charcoal and ash end up?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:38 pm 
It winds up where you can't see it to begin with, of course. No one likes an unsightly fire spot left over, after all. I know you're confident in your claim this argument is a load of ####, but I'm just as confident you've never noticed where I've made a fire after I've left. I already noted the issue with people denuding areas using poor practices.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm 
i always build a BIG fire! And sit real far away!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:41 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
i always build a BIG fire! And sit real far away!!
Indian build small fire and sit close, white man build BIG fire and sit far away. I don't see a fire pit as trash. There are times when a fire is needed for survival and the rock rings make it much safer. Dismantling it is a waste of time, for sure someone will rebuild it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:23 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
There are times when a fire is needed for survival
99.999999999999999999999% of campfires are not built for survival, but rather to satisfy some primitive reptilian part of the hooman brain. In other words, for completely pointless reasons.