Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Star Mtn 8/4-5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:03 pm 
North Star Mtn 8096' I headed up to the Phelps Creek TH Saturday morning for a trip to Lyman Lakes and North Star. The trail is in great shape to Spider meadows with only one down tree near the beginning. I knew that Josh H was headed up Genius Pk this morning after heading to the area the night before, so I spent a few minutes looking up the slopes trying see him on the route. I didn't so he must have been way up higher on the peak at that time.
Spider meadows
Spider meadows
tall corn lilies
tall corn lilies
I kept hiking up towards Spider Gap with no need for crampons, the mellow snow slopes were just fine. I dropped down to one of my favorite areas that I've backpacked to with my family almost a dozen years ago, the Lyman Lakes. Despite the hazy skies, this spot is still beautiful.
Lyman glacier
Lyman glacier
ice in the lake
ice in the lake
The usual trail down to the lower lake has a detour since a bridge is out. The detour requires fording the creek above a waterfall. With the aqua blue water color, it's impossible to see the bottom of the water but it ended up being just over knee deep on the crossing.
the creek crossing
the creek crossing
After making my way down to the lake, I searched for a spot to drop off my overnight gear so that Josh H might be able to find me. I picked a spot just off the trail, left a note and headed up towards Cloudy Pass for a try at North Star. My route choice was to bypass Cloudy Pk on it's SE side. By going almost to Cloudy Pass, it meant more traversing but it was in beautiful meadows with a faint trail in spots. I rounded the SE rib at 6600' and started the long uphill traverse over to North Star. It was many loose boulders and snow patches along the way, I should have stayed a little lower and would have had an easier time. I traversed past the false summit and gained the ridge just South of the peak. Easier travel to the summit is on the left side and found no register at the top.
at the North Star summit
at the North Star summit
Bonanza
Bonanza
The views were hazy as it also looked like some storms were building. A few sprinkles had me heading down soon and I dropped lower on the traverse to easier ground towards the 6600' SE rib. I enjoyed the meadows on the way back towards Cloudy Pk wondering if I'd run into Josh. I didn't see him but once I got to camp, I saw that he had found it and left some gear.
looking back at the North Star summit
looking back at the North Star summit
meadows
meadows
marmots playing
marmots playing
After a couple hours hanging around the lake, Josh showed up after coming down from Cloudy Pk, the storm clouds chased him away from going to North Star. It was a good decision on his part as it began to rain while eating dinner. The rain didn't let up and then it began to thunder and lightning. It was time to hop in my tent early. The skies were loud as the thunder rolled around the Lyman lakes basin. It didn't stop until after midnight. Josh didn't have the best of nights in his bivy so he decided to bail on trying North Star in the morning. We hit the trail a little before 6am to hike back to the trailhead. The creek crossing was about 6 inches higher than the day before. Josh recognized a familiar tent near the 2nd lake and we chatted with Luke S for a while. We hiked back up to Spider Gap, then back down to the meadows where we noticed hail left over from the last night. It must have been even stormier in the meadows as we also saw evidence of a small gully which flushed a big pile of hail down to the trail.
Lower Lyman lake at sunrise
Bonanza reflection
Bonanza reflection
small stream at the 2nd lake
small stream at the 2nd lake
We reached the TH at 10:20 and headed home...... I left first and after 6 or so miles, my rear tire fell off my truck. Long story short, I was super thankful that Josh was behind me to pick me up - take me to highway 2 to get in cell phone range - wait a long time while I arranged a tow truck - take me back up to my truck to wait even longer and meet the driver to deliver the payment and keys - then drive me back to my house I can't thank Josh enough for his patience, he could have been home 6 or 7 hours earlier if not for me and my truck troubles 30 miles 8400' elevation gain

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
I left first and after 6 or so miles, my rear tire fell off my truck.
Hate it when that happens...

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 10:42 pm 
Upon seeing the TR I was afraid you did this in a day -- nice to know you're still human and have to rest once in a while wink.gif I was interested in the Lyman glacier photo -- it looks likes it's receded a lot even from the last time I saw it 10 years ago.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 am 
wow. sorry on the truck!!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm 
dang, and we just sold the red subaru. should've sold it to you. pretty red skies there...

geyer

geyer
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 1:46 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
80s movie intro credits

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 4:20 pm 
Yeay, so the fire near North Star is out? 10 days ago it looked like someone perhaps from the PCT started a fire near the edge of North Star (as seen from Mount Formidable).

cartman

cartman
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 5:21 pm 
North Star was the peak I did on the first day of my first ever solo backpack. The views from Spider Gap just blew me away.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 11:05 am 
Well, I'm shocked that it took you more than a day. Sorry about your truck. How did the tire fall off? Is it repairable?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 10:13 am 
up.gif Sorry about the truck

silence

silence
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm 
Sweet trip! up.gif up.gif up.gif Bonanza looks like a monster from that side. Sorry about the truck.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
whoami
Probably Nobody

whoami
Probably Nobody
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 pm 
Josh is an OK guy. Glad you are linking up on trips together!

A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 2:46 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Upon seeing the TR I was afraid you did this in a day -- nice to know you're still human and have to rest once in a while wink.gif I was interested in the Lyman glacier photo -- it looks likes it's receded a lot even from the last time I saw it 10 years ago.
That was my first thought. I went back to see some shots from 2017 (when the area was also blanketed in smoke, due to the Holden fire). Granted it is from a different angle and was from late August... Looks like less ice maybe on the portion just above the lake (but more of this past season's snow)? It's a bit hard to tell from these shots.
lyman-lakes-from-cloudy
lyman-lakes-from-cloudy
mandatory-lyman-glacier-sho
mandatory-lyman-glacier-sho