Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tank Lakes 7/28-29/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 pm 
I've wanted to visit the Tank Lakes area for several years. I envisioned doing the West Foss to East Foss variation of the Alpine Lakes High Route with the second night at Tank Lakes, and bagging a few peaks along the way. I never really found the time for the 3+ day trip as other objectives always won out when I had the available time. I did however manage a free weekend and invited my friend Trevin who I hadn't done an overnight trip with in maybe 10 years. Way too long. He doesn't hike as much as I do, but he was game for a trip up to the lakes and to bag a peak or two. We didn't really have a specific peak objective in mind, but I gathered beta on Hinman, LaBohn, Iron Cap, and Otter Point and figured we'd just see what we felt in the mood for once we got to the lakes. It was supposed to be hot so we got an "early" start and arrived at the packed trailhead a bit after 8am. There was a family of four milling about as we hit the trail. Mom, Dad, and two young boys who I'd guess were about 5-6 and 1-2. We didn't think much of it at the time, but we would run into this family later and what they would tell me would blow my mind! How's that for a teaser, ehh... ehhh!!! biggrin.gif
Trail
Trail
Hollow tree roots
Hollow tree roots
The first 5.3 miles are really easy, flat trail with some inevitable ups and downs. It went pretty quick. There were a lot of people camped along the way, some in fairly nice camps and a few where we couldn't understand why anyone would want to camp there, but to each their own. As we neared the log to cross the East Fork Foss River there was a WTA crew doing some trail maintenance. We thanked them for their hard work and began the ascent towards Necklace Valley. Soon we came upon a group of hikers on their way down. The seemed a little distressed and asked where we were headed. "Tank Lakes" I replied. "Oh, we didn't go up there... but the bugs are BAD!" a hiker in the background chimed in "SO BAD". Hiker #1 continued "we stayed at Jade Lake and the bugs were awful, just... so BAD!" They seemed genuinely traumatized by the experience. We were kind of expecting as much, and thanked them for the warning. After a stop at a stream to top off our water and have a snack, we reached Necklace Valley and Jade Lake!
Jade Lake
Jade Lake
Jade Lake inlet
Jade Lake inlet
Necklace Valley cabin
Necklace Valley cabin
Cabin
Cabin
Plaque
Plaque
Frog
Frog
Jade Lake was really cool. I liked how the trail basically traveled at waters edge. It was really cool to hike past. After Jade, we reached Emerald lake and spotted the Necklace Valley cabin which we checked out. There are a maze of user trails around there and I got off on the wrong trail for a hundred feet or so before BACKTRACKING! and finding the correct trail. Thank god I learned that most valuable wilderness skill in my youth, or I may still be out there today. We continued on past the Necklace Valley cabin and past Opal Lake which we didn't see. Soon we emerged from tree line and began the final ascent to Tank Lakes.
Hiking up out of Necklace Valley
Hiking up out of Necklace Valley
Heading towards Tank Lakes
Heading towards Tank Lakes
Waterfall
Waterfall
Tarn reflecting LaBohn and Trevin
Tarn reflecting LaBohn and Trevin
We were both grateful that the forecasted hot day had been overcast so far. It really helped keep the heat at bay, but it didn't help my buddy eat enough food and he bonked on the final 800 vertical feet up to the lakes. Also, the skeeters were getting worse. They weren't bad when moving, but they'd sure find me quick as soon as I'd stop! I swatted them as long as I could stand it, but I finally gave in. I don't like to use bug spray. In fact the can I had with me was 15 years old, but it was time to DEET up. Trevin had brought Picaridin, which he wasn't having as much luck with. The bugs grew worse as we reached the slabs and a few melt water tarns and soon Lower Tank Lake came into view. What a beaut!
Lower tank 1
Lower tank 1
Lower tank 2 (our camp site)
Lower tank 2 (our camp site)
Lower tank 3
Lower tank 3
I was a little bummed to see the place was packed with other campers. Not surprised though, it was Saturday after all. Most of the other campers were down by the lake, which was fine by me. I scouted around a bit and settled on a slabby camp above the lake with great views. There was another tent around the corner and down a bit, but we still had an element of privacy at our camp. Unless you count the mosquitoes that is. Those *%#&ers were everywhere! And by everywhere I mean swarming around Trevin, they were all over him! They left me alone for the time being, but it didn't last long. Soon we were in our down jackets and bug head nets even though the sun had come out and it was hot. It wasn't long before we were seeking refuge from the bugs in the tent, even though we still had three or four hours of daylight left. Trevin was pretty wiped out from the hike up and didn't want to bag any peaks, and I was content to just chill with him at camp. I cruised around a bit and checked out the view of Iron Cap and Upper Tank Lake which was pretty unremarkable compared to the lower lake. I took a few photos at golden hour, we sipped on some adult beverages and ate dinner and basically just hung out until bed time. Oh, and the views didn't suck.
Melt water reflection
Melt water reflection
Our camp and mosquito refuge
Our camp and mosquito refuge
Tent views
Tent views
Evening reflection
Evening reflection
Heading to fill up on water
Heading to fill up on water
Slabs for days!
Slabs for days!
Evening light from the slabs
Evening light from the slabs
Boulders
Boulders
Lower Tank Lake Reflection
Lower Tank Lake Reflection
I didn't get much sleep that night. The moon was so bright, no headlamp was needed at night, and my air mattress got a hole in it. I did get to try out a new 40 degree EE quilt which I really like however, so that was cool. The bugs were just as bad in the morning, and we pretty much just packed up and left as soon as we were finished with breakfast. Many things were crappy about this trip. We didn't climb any peaks, the bugs were horrible, the lake was crowded, and I got a hole in my air mattress... but I still had a great time! The way out was a bit of a slog, especially the last 5 miles, but we got back just in time to sit in traffic through Gold Bar for an hour! Woo hoo!
This is it.  This is why I wanted to go here.
This is it. This is why I wanted to go here.
G'mornin!
G'mornin!
Opal "lake"
Opal "lake"
Crossing back to the final 5.3 miles out
Crossing back to the final 5.3 miles out
OHHHHH! Lets bring this full circle, shall we? That family I mentioned that we saw at the trailhead... as we were passing some mellow water running over gentle slabs near Emerald Lake on the way out, there they were! The oldest boy was bare foot walking through the running water with the Dad in 'copter mode close behind. We were both like, dang... nice job getting those two little ones all the way up here! The Dad just looked at me with wide eyes while pointing to his oldest. "Did he hike all the way up here by himself?!" I asked, and the Mom replied "Yeah, and he did most of it bare foot!" eek.gif "He kept saying 'shoes off' so we just let him". My mind was blown. I couldn't believe the little guy could hike all that way by himself, much less bare foot! My wife couldn't even make it up there in boots! Ok, she probably could, but I still thought that was impressive. ~23 miles 4500k gain. The end.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
omhk

omhk
PostSat Aug 04, 2018 1:28 am 
Great photos of such a beautiful place! I did this mid July a couple of years ago and the bugs were pretty horrific too. I would recommend the La Bohn area as well (including the eponymous peak). I did it last summer and can't believe it took me so long to get out there. Also, the thought of hiking barefoot any part of the Necklace Valley trail after crossing the river is mind-blowing...

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Aug 04, 2018 7:55 pm 
up.gif I think everybody goes wrong where you had to backtrack, that's why that side-trail is so well-traveled wink.gif.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:42 pm 
omhk wrote:
I would recommend the La Bohn area as well (including the eponymous peak). I did it last summer and can't believe it took me so long to get out there.
I definitely plan to go back, I mean... come on. I didn't even climb any peaks out that way for gods sake! biggrin.gif LaBohn Lakes seems like a logical spot to spend an evening while bagging Hinman and LaBohn. That gives me something to look forward to. It's a nice area!

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 7:41 pm 
Ive never been out this way but la bohn and hinman have always been on the radar! Sweet pics as usual man! When do you think the bugs will die off?!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 pm 
Ive never been out this way but la bohn and hinman have always been on the radar! Sweet pics as usual man! When do you think the bugs will die off?!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 7:28 am 
ozzy wrote:
Hard to say. I'm no expert in the mosquito lifecycle, but my guess would be after the first hard freeze. Mid to late September? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:02 am 
I don't have a lot of experience backpacking, but I think one has to be a bit of a masochist. Nice report and photos!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am 
In my experience, the bugs die down over the course of the summer. The hatch peak is often a week or two before the flowers are in full bloom. After that there are more hatches at different elevations and over time but even those decline in size. Bats, birds frogs and other insects contribute to decreasing swarm size.

"May you live in interesting times"
contour5

contour5
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 8:57 pm 
Really nice photography, awilsondc. You got some way better shots than I was able to squeeze out of the rapidly deteriorating drugstore nikon. Amazing to see how fast conditions change this time of year. I especially enjoyed hearing that you experienced a bit of confusion near the old cabin. A few days earlier I went totally berzerk in the same area- I actually boulder-ed down the creek to Emerald inlet, and then continued all the way down the wrong side of the lake, much to the amusement of some campers at the outlet. Then I slipped into the outlet while collecting water. And yet, I had a great trip too. What a beautiful area!

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 7:20 am 
Thanks contour5! I thought you got some GREAT shots! In fact I recently re-read your report and wondered if you added photos later. I don't remember seeing some of the awesome shots you got the first time around. But yeah it's a great area. I wish I had the amount of time to explore around that you did! Definitely planning on going back up there in the future.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 8:20 am 
awilsondc wrote:
LaBohn Lakes seems like a logical spot to spend an evening while bagging Hinman and LaBohn.
Many reasons to visit LaBohn Lakes besides it being a logical place to position oneself for a summit bid.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."