Forum Index > Trip Reports > Luna Peak 7/31-8/1, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 pm 
I don't even know how to begin this trip report. I have mixed feelings about this trip since it was quintessential type 2 fun. I had been interested in climbing Luna for the last few years. It's the highest peak in the remote and rugged Picket Range and according to many, boasts the best views in the state of Washington. Sounds like a winner to me! There had already been a couple nwhikers up there this year (geyer and mvkazit) and from mvkazit's report I knew there was a log crossing for Big Beaver so I decided to give it a go. I gave a half assed attempt to find a partner, but ended up going solo. I had taken a week off work with this specific trip in mind, but hot weather and the start of fire season threatened to derail this trip before it even started. I found a window Tuesday and Wednesday where temperatures were supposed to drop, with a west wind helping to clear out some of the haze late Tuesday. I waited until mid day Monday before calling to reserve a spot on the water taxi, which is now a stiff $70 each way to Big Beaver. I woke up at 2:30 am Tuesday morning and made the long drive to the Wilderness Information Center where I waited until they opened at 7 to get my permit. From there it was a fast drive to mile marker 134 where I parked, hoping I wouldn't have to run down to the dock to get there by 8. I knew there were two other people catching the water taxi to Little Beaver at 8, and as I pulled up there were two gentlemen just putting on their packs. Sure enough, it was them and my timing was impeccable, a trend that would continue throughout the trip. We hiked down together and saw a young bear along the way. We called for the taxi at their phone they have down there and we were soon picked up. I arranged to be picked up at 5pm the next day.
Water taxi arrives
Water taxi arrives
Colonial and Snowfield group from Ross Lake
Colonial and Snowfield group from Ross Lake
Looking back at Jack
Looking back at Jack
Nearing the dock
Nearing the dock
I hit the trail at 8:33 am for the 10-11 mile hike to where the off trail portion would begin. It was a bit buggy and after a few minutes I stopped to put on bug spray. About a mile or two in there was a section of trail with tons of tiny little dime sized frogs. I tried not to step on them. I also saw two huge softball size frogs, but with low light conditions my pictures turned out blurry and horrible. The trail was fairly dull with some occasional points of interest. The creek that has taken over the trail, reported by brushbuffalo and geyer, was dry and easy to follow. All water crossings were easy. I stopped at Luna Camp for a snack and was swarmed by black flies. I didn't stay long. At least they didn't bite.
Early section of trail
Early section of trail
Trail views
Trail views
Entering the National Park
Entering the National Park
Luna camp
Luna camp
After Luna Camp I spent the next mile or two looking for any sign that it was a good place to leave the trail and head towards Big Beaver Creek. I didn't see any. After I was certain I had gone too far I backtracked, looking for a good place to head off into the brush. After 3:50 on the trail I finally saw a section that looked kinda thin and plunged in! It wasn't too bad at first. The portion I picked had mostly low height brush, but I soon found out it was swampy. After trying to route find around swampy sections for a good bit it became clear my feet were gonna get wet. Bummer. I had hoped with the log over Big Beaver I could keep my feet dry, but it was not to be. Oh well, I brought an extra pair of shoes. I was aiming for the bend in Big Beaver, just west of the confluence of the other two creeks shown on the topo. This was where mvkazit's track showed the log crossing and when I came out of the brush, there it was just 50 feet away! Success! It took 40 minutes of 'schwacking to reach the creek, lots of it trying to avoid swamp. I swore, I SWORE I took a picture of the log crossing, but I guess I didn't. It was kinda in the water on the other side, and it doesn't look like it will last through next spring but maybe it will. I unbuckled my pack to cross the log and stepped on. I'm fairly sure footed, but the fast flowing water under the log was messing with my eyes. I was very hesitant starting out on the log, but after a couple steps it got easier and I got across no problem. I had felt a couple hot spots on my heels on the way up and took my shoes off once I got across to wring the swamp water out of my socks and inspect my feet. When I took a look at my heels I got some bad news. The skin on the back of both heels had simply sloughed away, peeled right off like it was nothing exposing raw skin underneath. I've hiked 2 seasons in these shoes with no problems, and a 23 mile trip just a couple days ago with no issues at all until now. WTF?! What's a little more suffering, right? Nothing I could do at this point. I filled up on water and had some food before continuing the 'schwack. I took off on a rising traverse towards Access Creek. The brush here wasn't actually all that bad. There was a lot of open forest, and many fallen logs could be walked on to bypass brushy sections. I even found a trail for a bit, but honestly it didn't help that much and I didn't really care when I eventually lost the trail. Travel wasn't too horrible here as I made my way up Access Creek. In reading up on this trip, some people reported it was best to cross at 3700 and some said 3900. Once across the creek the terrain is supposed to be easier travel through a boulder field. As I approached the 3700 ft elevation area, I looked across the creek and saw boulders! Score! I crossed here, keeping my feet dry. Once I was across and on the boulders I swapped shoes. I was pretty pleased that the bushwacking hadn't been too bad and started hopping boulders. My good mood was soon dashed when the boulders quickly ran out and straight into more brush. Thick slide alder. Dammit! I ascended a bit on the boulders looking for a way around, but there was none. Eventually I just plunged in. **** it sucked. Thick mature slide alder on a steep side hill. Horrible. Crappy. Exhausting. Much energy was expended just trying to stay on two feet. It took 30-40 minutes to go a quarter mile, but I finally got free of the brush around 4000 ft. 2:40 from Big Beaver. I was pretty spent at this point, and it was hot, and I was filthy. I filled up on water and ate more food at the Access Creek headwaters before heading for the gully.
"easy" brush
"easy" brush
Access Creek near where I crossed
Access Creek near where I crossed
First view of Luna
First view of Luna
Prophet from the boulders
Prophet from the boulders
Almost made it to the shade!
Almost made it to the shade!
Gully I climbed up.  I went right.  Took the dry gully down...
Gully I climbed up. I went right. Took the dry gully down...
First view of the Southern Pickets
First view of the Southern Pickets
I was pretty tired and wanted to quit at this point, but I pressed on. I went up a gully with some light running water, basically hiking right up a running stream. I came to a fork and took the right branch. It soon got steep and nasty, so I rounded a brushy rib where I came out into a dry gully which I continued up. It was much better. It was a long hour climb up to the notch that felt like three hours. Once at the notch, I finally got my first view of the Southern Pickets! It was thrilling, but again that feeling was squashed when I looked across at the col. It looked so far away! It was demoralizing. Again I wanted to quit. There was a nice little meadow looking area I thought, maybe I'll just find a camp there. But I pressed on, and it went much quicker than expected. There were a couple snow fields, but I found a route on rock so my axe and pons got a free ride this trip. I reached the col at 6:43 pm, 10:10 from the Big Beaver dock. It was frickin AwwwwwSOME! My research suggested most bivy sites were rocky or sloped, but they all looked great to me! One was even big enough for a three man tent. I picked a spot higher up the ridge and settled in for the evening, stoked to be done for the day.
My camp at Luna Col
My camp at Luna Col
I spent the last few hours of the day enjoying a beer I hauled up (delish) and eating a freeze dried pad thai (mediocre). I hiked up the ridge enough to see the full pickets and ate my dinner there, enjoying the views. And fine views they were!
Fury
Fury
Prophet
Prophet
Mount Challenger and sunset
Mount Challenger and sunset
Last few minutes of sun
Last few minutes of sun
Sunset from Luna Col
Sunset from Luna Col
I thought about my time management and when I'd need to get up in order to summit, pack up, and make it back for my 5 pm water taxi the next day. I set my alarm for 3:51 and only snoozed once when my alarm rang, probably out of habit. I knew I had to get a move on though so I got up and had a quick energy gel and packed a few things for the summit. My heels were pretty dang sore, but the pain eased off after a few steps. I was slow going up, but still made ok time, reaching the false summit in around 45 minutes. It was about 5 am, and still 40 minutes way from sunrise, but it was light enough to see and the views were incredible! I set off for the true summit. I had read reports of varying difficulty finding the route to the true summit, and a youtube video saying the rock was crap, but I had no problems. I just walked the knife edge catwalk 60-70% of the way across before dropping down and right maybe 10 feet and following a ledge where I came up right behind the true summit and reached the top. Despite the massive death exposure on both sides it felt fine to me. I felt more nervous crossing the log across Big Beaver! Upon reaching the summit I quickly realized that the better views were from the false summit so I quickly headed back for sunrise.
Dawn
Dawn
True summit selfie
True summit selfie
Panorama from Luna's true summit, still ~25 minutes before sunrise
Panorama from Luna's true summit, still ~25 minutes before sunrise
Sunrise and Luna's true summit
Sunrise and Luna's true summit
Sunrise was out of this world! No crazy colors or cool clouds, but the alpenglow on the pickets was all time! I spent the better part of an hour up there soaking in the views and watching the sun pour over the peaks. They say this is the best view in Washington, and I can't disagree. Pictures help give you an idea, but they can relay the relay the immense feeling of how big these peaks are and the sounds of the wind and the water and the feeling of remote beauty. It was incredible! Epic!
Challenger with Baker and Shuksan behind
Challenger with Baker and Shuksan behind
Not sure... Slesse?
Not sure... Slesse?
Southern Pickets at sunrise
Southern Pickets at sunrise
Alpenglow spilling over Challenger
Alpenglow spilling over Challenger
My alpenglOw face
My alpenglOw face
Pickets at golden hour
Pickets at golden hour
I took a personal record number of panoramas up there, but this one might be the best I've ever taken. It deserves a click, then a click for full screen, then scrolling.
sunrise
sunrise
Reluctantly I started to head back, but couldn't help but stop a few times just to linger a little longer in this special place. I'm glad I did. I made it back to camp and packed up and left just after my target time, leaving my bivy site at 7:37. The way down through the snow section was pretty easy, but when I got to the traverse section everything was wet. I slipped and fell hard four times on the traverse. Rug pulled out from under you, down you go kind of falls. It was getting a little ridiculous, but fortunately no injuries. The way back down the gully was slow and annoyingly tedious on steep hard packed dirt or loose choss. Not fun. Eventually I reached the Access Creek headwaters where I switched back to my trail runners, and had another food and water break. I was a tad slower than I had hoped so I made up time by running across the boulder fields, bounding from boulder to boulder with large extended leaps. I just love doing that! Best part of the descent, which was promptly followed by another s****y bushwhack. I stayed closer to the water this time from 4000 to 3700 and it was a little better, but not much. The north side of Access Creek was again not that bad, and once I crossed the log across Big Beaver I took a different more direct path back to the trail. No swamp, but the brush was thicker and taller. I managed to barrel through some seriously thick foliage with a honey badger attitude. I knew the trail was just ahead, but I was at my thickest tallest brush obstacle yet. So close I could taste it, I just powered through the last 20 feet and FINALLY reached the trail!
bivy spot
bivy spot
Luna col (right) and the luna (center)
Luna col (right) and the luna (center)
Well, back down all this...
Well, back down all this...
Looking down the gully
Looking down the gully
Last look at Luna
Last look at Luna
My heels after Luna
My heels after Luna
The last 4 hours back to the Big Beaver dock was probably the worst death slog I've ever had to endure, thanks largely to my now incredibly painful heel sores. It was miserable. A couple miles out I passed a large group of all female backpackers and ran across an older guy who asked how far it was to the large cedars. I had to confess that I had been in zombie mode the last few hours and had very little awareness of my surroundings the last few hours. I finally made it back to the boat dock at 4:40 pm, 9:03 after leaving camp. I soaked my feet in Ross Lake which felt SOOOOO good! Only a 12 minute wait and there was my water taxi heading my way. Couldn't have timed that any better. The last uphill mile back to the car sucked. I don't think I've ever been on a trip that epitomizes type 2 fun quite like this one, but the 6 hours or so I had at the col and on the summit were more than worth it. I'm even thinking about going back for Fury. Oh, how quickly painful memories fade. I didn't keep a track, but other parties report something in the range of 34-36 miles 8000-8300k gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 pm 
Highly competitive!! Great grab!!

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 pm 
Monster trip and views. Thanks for sharing the great pics.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm 
Sorry. After reading a number of these types of reports - please explain - what's your f*****g hurry???????????????? What is the point????????????

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 11:35 pm 
up.gif Nice, looks you had a good time higher up at least! Weird about your shoes ... Wouldn't expect that to happen with so many miles on them!

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
what's your hurry
I don't know about the OP, but for me it would be family & work, while still trying to see the nicest places around in the limited free time. Of course I would like to slowly backpack around for a week if I could, but just can't do that (for now). I certainly wouldn't skip a nice place just because it's a few hours more walking per day.

omhk

omhk
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 1:30 am 
You did it! Big congrats on getting up there. The sunrise photos are insane...I would say I have to go back and watch a proper alpine sunrise, but I really don't want to do this one again for another couple of years!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:21 am 
I can be in boots all summer and if the temp stays above 80 degrees I will get similar on my heels. No blistering, more like extreme chafing. Skin just feels like it is on fire. I wonder if it had been cooler if you would have never experienced that rawness.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
Sorry. After reading a number of these types of reports - please explain - what's your f*****g hurry???????????????? What is the point????????????
I had four days to work with before going back to work Friday. I wanted Thursday as a recovery day so that left three. I thought about going in Monday and staying at Luna camp, but Monday was hot and smoky and Luna Camp is kinda boring IMO, plus I had just done this casual trip with my friend, complete with several hours of relaxing at camp, so spending Monday chilling at home sounded better. That left Tuesday and Wednesday to make it work, and it worked out perfectly. The Luna col area and the last bit to the summit is the real gem of the area, and I had a good 3 hours to take in the sights on day one, and a couple more the next day. I didn't really feel hurried, but definitely on a schedule. It was a lot for two days. It can be tough with a full time job and two little kids at home to find enough time in the mountains. I'm just a weekend warrior, but I do what I can. I know what you mean though. There has been an overwhelming amount of insane effort trips posted here lately. Sometimes I have the same reaction as you when I read some of these trip reports, but hey if I were at that level with that much free time maybe I'd do the same. For me, I just want awesome views and a cool place to witness sunrise and/or sunset. If I can manage that I'm happy.
John Morrow wrote:
I can be in boots all summer and if the temp stays above 80 degrees I will get similar on my heels. No blistering, more like extreme chafing. Skin just feels like it is on fire. I wonder if it had been cooler if you would have never experienced that rawness.
That's a good possibility. I also wondered if maybe I had developed a blister weeks ago that simply resorbed leaving a weakened layer of skin. I get those on the sole of my big toe and heel at times, but I don't remember having any hot spots on any recent trips. Maybe it was just the magic of the Pickets making sure I had a memorable trip. lol.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 7:02 am 
Well done. up.gif That's a ballsy solo trip in rugged terrain.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 7:08 am 
I'm so envious of Luna Peak trip you had smile.gif Looks like Luna becomes the new Mailbox Peak this year smile.gif)))

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 am 
Super! I appreciate how you honestly tell how it isn't a snap trip, certainly not for any but the superhuman. Also, most or all of us have had moments where we have thought of turning around short of the goal during the struggle. When we do persist anyway, we come to learn the truth of the expression " the pleasure outlasts the pain."
awilsondc wrote:
My heels after Luna
My heels after Luna
Big ouch! This exemplifies how pain is temporary, the good memories permanent. I hope the healing is quick and complete.
Not sure... Slesse?
Not sure... Slesse?
Yes, your mystery peak is indeed Slesse. Few "fangs" in the NC compare.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
geyer

geyer
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm 
Great job! Can't believe you went solo. I know I would not have made it in a day without company (specifically someone in better shape than me lol.gif ) And great panos... my three-screen desktop background at work has been the Luna pano ever since I went. Hope those heels heal soon. I've had the same problem before to the point that I don't like wearing boots anymore unless totally necessary And as for "why such a hurry?" I would add that it's partly personal challenge, partly time constriction, and partly that I'd rather be exploring more places at a faster pace than going slower. Also (at least for me), your mind adapts to how long you need to "soak it all in" after going faster a few times - eventually if you go at a slower pace, it feels like wasted time.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm 
Wow!! Damn man way to f### get that one!! Ive had heal blisters like that once on a 20mi road march in the army. I wasnt climbing a gnarly beast of mountain either, that whole trip looks like it was worth every second though! Nice bag. cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
contour5

contour5
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 pm 
Quote:
For me, I just want awesome views and a cool place to witness sunrise and/or sunset. If I can manage that I'm happy.
Nicely said. And it looks like you made it to your happy place. Some spectacular images...