Forum Index > Trip Reports > Luna Peak 7/31-8/1, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 10:06 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
. I have mixed feelings about this trip
I read the entire TR. Very nice! Maybe I missed it though. I didn't read / wasn't clear to me, were that comment tied into the report. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 10:10 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Despite the massive death exposure on both sides it felt fine to me.
I think this needs to go in the nwhikers quotes hall of fame.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
awilsondc wrote:
. I have mixed feelings about this trip
I read the entire TR. Very nice! Maybe I missed it though. I didn't read / wasn't clear to me, were that comment tied into the report.
I guess I could have tied that in better. Well... I both loved and hated the trip! Loved the remote location, the rugged terrain, the complete solitude. I loved being able to spend hours soaking in the best views in the cascades for both sunset and sunrise. I loved the challenge of the climb and being able to accomplish a long term goal. I hated the long kind of boring approach. Hated bushwhacking through devils club and thick slide alder. Hated feeling so tired I just wanted to quit. Hated the foot pain I had to deal with the majority of the trip. Hence the mixed feelings. I think Brushbuffalo totally nailed it with his post though: "the pleasure outlasts the pain" and pain is temporary but good memories permanent. I guess that's type 2 fun for you in a nut shell. Miserable while it's happening, but fun in retrospect!

reststep

reststep
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm 
Great report and pictures. Thanks for sharing. I like that sunrise pano. Does anyone care to add some labels.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm 
Wow! Envious here. Not for the suffer fest but the hours spent on the col, summit and in-between. Especially to have those sunrise/sunset visits. This has to be one of the all time great views, or a seriously credible nomination.

Off trail rambler
trent
Suffering fool

trent
Suffering fool
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 8:49 am 
Welcome to the Pickets! It is worth it to endure the pain and get to enjoy the solitude and views!

It's all downhill from here!
Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 3:25 pm 
up.gif great pics

WolverineWay

WolverineWay
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:52 pm 
Super good idea! I'll look into repeating this agenda, but not until these fires clear out. Your timing was also good in beating the smoke to get those views! In defense of the one or two-day marathon missions, I can attest to:
  1. Having a young kid at home who I would have to drag to do more than 4 miles on easy trail.
  2. Having a M-F job where I only have two days max to make stuff happen without taking time off.
  3. Having the conditioning to pull off something like this without getting injured.
  4. Not having a hiking partner (or even an old dog) that just wants to cruise, forcing me to slow down.
  5. Not wanting to carry a bunch of overnight gear and food on my back to slow me down.
So once you condition your body & mind to handle this type of "fun" (Type 2 fun is code for Abusive but not Deathly Torturous), you can see more places more often without pissing off your boss, your spouse/girlfriend, or neglecting your child/dog/farm animals.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 pm 
^^^ Nailed it! By the way, I completed an annotated version of the sunrise panorama. Enjoy! (spelling errors fixed, thanks WolverineWay!)
Luna Peak annotated
Luna Peak annotated
Click twice for full screen, drag and scroll

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:59 am 
Please let me know when that is available for print. I want a copy for my bedroom wall. Seriously!

WolverineWay

WolverineWay
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am 
Nice work on the Pano! I grabbed a copy of Flickr and will distribute to some friends! Might help me recruit them for the hike. *Larrabee *Slesse I got picked up hitchhiking back down Hwy 20 to Mazama from Wa Pass last weekend after a big hike. The guys were climbers starting a full week of objectives in the Cascades. Slesse was their pinnacle for the week. They should be on it right about now. Life goals! From Wikipedia: “Luna Peak is the highest mountain in the Picket Range, an extremely rugged subrange of the North Cascades in the American state of Washington. It is located within North Cascades National Park. It is notable for its large local relief and isolated position on a far-flung eastern ridge of the Pickets. For example, it rises over 6,560 ft (2,000 m) in 1.8 mi (2.9 km) above McMillan Creek to the south.” “Luna Peak was first climbed in early September 1938, by Bill Cox and Will F. Thompson. The standard route is the Southwest Ridge, approached from Ross Lake and Big Beaver Creek. It requires strenuous off-trail hiking including bushwhacking and tricky route-finding, but offers the promise of solitude, as the peak is rarely climbed. The final climb to the true summit involves exposed scrambling on loose rock, and some parties will want a rope (Class 3/4).”

WolverineWay

WolverineWay
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:47 pm 
See also "fastpacking": https://www.sagetosummit.com/fastpacking "Fastpackers enjoy the increased freedom of movement that comes with a light and fast approach. A lightweight backpack allows fastpackers to also use lighter footwear and maintain a faster pace, including the ability to use a running gait at times. This can make a big difference in overall efficiency and enjoyment. Fastpackers trade the comforts of a well equipped camping setup for the ability to see more terrain in less time, travel in more rugged terrain, and burden their muscles and joints with less load. Competitve Fastpacking is not a recognized athletic event but is usually included in longer adventure races. There are fastest known recorded times for popular trail and mountain routes that are continually challenged by elite Fastpackers and Mountain Runners, but the vast majority of this activity is done strictly for pleasure."

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:33 pm 
Hmmmm. I remember doing long trips with limited time with my father and brother outside Missoula. 12 or 15 miles a day was pretty normal and most of the time we were not on trails. We did the Swan Crest a few times in a day with minimal gear. About 20 miles and 9000 feet up and down. Check it out. Morrell Falls to Holland lake.
Swan Crest That is Fischer Peak on the right and Ptarmigan on the left. It was not about "accomplishing" something. It was purely the incredible freedom of being there doing it.

"May you live in interesting times"
NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm 
Absolutely crazy!

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm 
Great TR! Great pics!

"May you live in interesting times"