Forum Index > Trail Talk > What has happened to NW Hikers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 7:58 am 
What has happened to NW Hikers? When I joined NW Hikers 10 years ago, it was a community of fellow hikers, backpackers climbers, ect. that had common likes. Everyone was friendly, you could log in and say hello, share ideas, meet fellow hikers and get information for upcoming trips. Now someones opinion can get ridiculed because someone else does not like it. It is there opinion. I hope that this will bring discussion and dialog to the group. This is my opinion, but attacking someones opinion should not have happened and it is not the first time I have seen it here. People are asking questions, that is what should happen. No one should be told to leave or find a different web site to belong to because they share an opinion. Rob

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 am 
People get cranky Despite that this is still the place to go for real hiking information and banter.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:11 am 
Hikerman77 wrote:
Now someones opinion can get ridiculed because someone else does not like it. It is there opinion.
IMO, this is not new. There have always been not at all friendly disagreements on this site as long as I've been a member. While it is generally a bastion of civility compared to a lot of internet forums, it is still the internet, and people sometimes act accordingly. In fact, before Tom updated some of the site policies, I think there were actually a lot more personal attacks back then.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
natural_log

natural_log
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am 
I feel like I've noticed this more, as well, in my shorter tenure. You can see that I don't post much, but often lurk. It could be a symptom of membership growth, which is what happened with Washington Hikers and Climbers, and now, PortlandHikers IMO. You get more competing opinions and more confidence to criticize. It likely won't go away, but a good approach is to not fuel the ignited flame. E.g., on the Vesper thread, someone turned criticism into sharing experience without being combative. Regardless, it is disappointing to see it happening everywhere online.

DadFly

DadFly
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 am 
Face to face people usually abide by Kindergarten rules. Put them behind the wheel or on the internet and the rules are more loosely adhered to.

"May you live in interesting times"
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 am 
Trust me on this. It was alot worse back in the day at the birth of nwhikers. Tom really was more of a referee than an administrator on many occasions. There were threats of physical harm and some very nasty name calling. I remember one quote as being "Can't wait to meet you at the social so I can punch you right in the face". Looking back on that it's funny now and I smile remebering the tussles and disagreements. There were members banned and told to more or less show a little more maturity. Tom was and still is a great administrator. I don't get out much anymore, but I still love it here. And even though many of the members I remember aren't posting anymore, I'll continue to visit the site often. Believe me....the present is not nearly as bad as the past. Enjoy and have fun biggrin.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 am 
Yana wrote:
In fact, before Tom updated some of the site policies, I think there were actually a lot more personal attacks back then.
+1 It is what a person notices that leaves the impression, good or bad. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am 
I've been here since 2007 and can't say that I notice a big change, but if any it's better now. I almost never feel the urge to criticize except in unusual circumstances (e.g. a huge bonfire in alpine meadows or excessive flagging) and then only with a light touch. I mentally ignore people who go off the rails and focus on the really great information and back-and-forth that is the majority of the content. Some people doing interesting trips started posting on Facebook and I choose not to use that service so I'm sad that I miss out on their reports.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 am 
Second that, the FBook stuff has never held any attraction for me and is now the source of considerable concerns (which were the source of my dislike from the outset). It's too bad the facebook scene has seen good stuff go there, but that's how it goes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 am 
Hikerman77 wrote:
What has happened to NW Hikers? When I joined NW Hikers 10 years ago, ......... Rob
I think it's improved in some regards, maybe degraded a little in others but nothing stays static. Tom is a great mod and has an irreplaceable sense of 'touch' and style, IMO. IMO the sniping and nit picking was generally always background noise, because people, but lately the frustrations some folks have from areas outside the forum other than hiking, are leaking into the forum for sure.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 am 
This was not pointed toward the MODs, but general membership discussions. The internet has become a place for some to hide behind a nick and attack anyone with a different opinion. I also now tend to lurk and read trail talk and trip reports as they give me a lot of information toward future outings. I think the discussion has already got people talking and maybe it will let people think before they react to a post that they do not agree with

Damian

Damian
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am 
There is far less moderation practiced now than 10 years ago. Not even comparable. But then maybe the moderators are getting old wink.gif

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 10:49 am 
I think it has been worse to be honest. Last year Tom took some action that worked out pretty well. If you stay out of discussion threads of >2 pages, then things tend to be pretty civil. From your post history Hikerman77, it looks like you just accidentally made a mistake of commenting in one of those wink.gif.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am 
I have been on the internet from almost the beginning, the DOS days. There have always been trolls. There have always been nefarious people and groups. And I can tell you from my perspective the interwebs is a much nicer place than it used to be. I think that observation applies to NWHikers.net as well. I have been physically threatened twice on NWHikers over what I have publicly posted here. The last time was over six years ago, so in my opinion the place has become decidedly more civil. YMMV Yes, there is the rare explosion and snark shows it's ugly head here and there, but for the most part it is pretty tame. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am 
I don't remember if I got snarky with someone in a post. If I did, I did the same thing that the discussion is about. I too can get opinionated, but try to stay out of heated conversations. If I cross that line, call me out. Rob