Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Cameron South Slope - doable?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 2:58 pm 
I have all next week to get out, and have been looking at the Cameron pass to Grey Wolf Pass traverse. Has anybody done this traverse on the ridgeline, or on the S slope? Obv a lot of sidehilling, but I'd rather do that than get mindbent by being cliffed out a bunch. Seems as though most TRs, while complimentary of the terrain, report a less than ideal route finding experience on the N side. Thoughts on the S slope Cameron and Grey Wolf?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm 
The only tidbit of info I can give you is Peak 7060T which is west of Gray Wolf Pass. Fay P. did 7060T from the northeast side starting at 5800' going up the obvious couloir on the map. She encountered no problems. She went down the same way. If she did that, that means the south side of that peak might be more problematic and rugged to Gray Wolf Pass. She did it in May appreciating the snow.

Art is an adventure.
silence

silence
PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm 
PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
gb

gb
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 am 
Luc wrote:
Thoughts on the S slope Cameron and Grey Wolf?
I don't think that is a very good idea. Most south slopes in that part of the Olympics are either talus (if lucky) or more likely hard, gravelly dirt. You are OK up to a certain angle but it gets scary depending on how steep it is. Many of these slopes are very steep. An ice axe would give you a chance of stopping a long fall and solid boots to kick steps in the hard dirt are also necessary. A traverse high on the south slopes would be a PIA for a long ways. Close to treeline the angle would generally be lower and the footing better but that would not be fun either. I've climbed Cameron twice from the south, Deception also from the south via Greywolf Pass, and Mystery about four times via a couple of different routes.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am 
gb wrote:
I don't think that is a very good idea. Most south slopes in that part of the Olympics are either talus (if lucky) or more likely hard, gravelly dirt. You are OK up to a certain angle but it gets scary depending on how steep it is.
I just did the Gray Wolf - Lost - Cameron - Grand loop three weeks ago. Honestly, looking up from the basin between Cameron and Lost passes, it LOOKS fine. But, at other times during this trip I experienced what gb is saying here. Those slopes can be scary and/or annoying, and I definitely wouldn't want it to be a prominent feature of a route. No real beta to offer I suppose, but wanted to give a thumbs up on what gb said, as well a big thumbs up on the general route. It was one of my favorite trips ever.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Luc

Luc
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am 
Thanks everyone! Still flopping around on this route. I guess the "general route" (N side, I assume) is still a bit vague to me, with most reports having a lot of trial and error. It seems that there's a lot of "looked iffy, approached, turned back, then tried another way, still pretty iffy but succeeded" - that's totally understandable, but I was hoping to discover something more definitive. Also with snow, would really rather not bring crampons, etc, hence my question abt the dry side. I'll keep poking around to compile what the "general route" is (sorry for the quotes smile.gif, anyone can feel free to pm me if you'd rather keep it on the DL.

GNGSTR
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:46 am 
Luc wrote:
"general route"
Haha, sorry Luc. By "general route", I really just meant how nice the area is. If anything specific, I meant the trail from Cameron Pass through Lost Pass into the Upper Dosewallips, since that is what I did.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm 
I hiked across Cameron Peak on the south side to the summit several years ago, but backtracked to Cameron Pass and used the trail to continue to Lost Pass. I honestly can't recall if one could stay high the whole way. I'd stashed my bearcan to save weight and had to return and collect it so didn't try. I do recall a faint path for much of the way, lots of talus and scree, and some loose rock near the top. Trip report from 2014: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8011761

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 10:20 am 
I've walked the ridge from Cameron Pass to Cameron Peak a few years ago. Not too bad but I did backtrack to the pass as I was headed to Lillian Lake. I was just up there this week and there is still a pretty clear path starting at Cameron pass heading towards Cameron peak. Here is a photo from across the valley with most of the ridgeline in view.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.