Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 7:19 am 
My wife and I were up there July 28,29 & 30. We camped at Lewis Meadow both nights (we like it more because it doesn't get as crowded as OGS), and day hiked up to Hoh Lake on the 29th, which was possibly the hottest day of the year so far. I'd taken her up to the lateral moraine a couple of years ago, but she had never been up the Hoh Lake trail, and I hadn't hiked it since September 1976 on the last day of a Bailey Range traverse loop. We saw a nice herd of elk on a gravel bar about 10 minutes upriver from OGS, and two bears on the Hoh Lake trail (one big boy and one adolescent). One advantage of OGS is the clear running spring right behind the guard station. At Lewis Meadow you have to get your water out of the river, which was very silty when we were there, or hike the 1.4 miles back to OGS to get your water there. Fortunately, having been up this trail many times, I knew what to expect and brought my MSR Guardian filter which handled the silty river water with zero problems. Every other party at Lewis Meadow was making trips back to OGS to get their water. I offered to pump water for a nice young couple from Massachusetts who were camped near us, but they didn't think the silty water was that bad. Anyways, glad you got up there. It's a favorite valley walk of ours due to the incredible trees, history, and the chance to see elk, bears, cougars, etc.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 am 
I was actually on the Hoh the last couple of days as well, coming in from the Elwha, Appleton Pass, High Divide and down. I also spent 2 nights at the gard station and made it up just above Elk Lake. And I can attest to the heat. I was drenched. Maybe I saw you there? My report is at https://aclayjar.net/2018/08/from-the-elwha-to-the-hoh/

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 10:09 am 
Well it sure did not get any cooler those two days. My thermometer registered 90 both days I was there. Sitting in the river at the end of the day was wonderful. It appears to be raining there now though.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 am 
Hesman wrote:
"...it was mostly walking through a tunnel of green..."
lol.gif I had to laugh when I read that statement. Of course it was like "walking through a tunnel of green" - you were in the rainforest! No views! Just tree feet and more tree feet and more tree feet! Nothing but tree feet! That's what makes it so great! lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."