Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bathroom habits, or, people are so damn disgusting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 4:26 pm 
Rant... The people who wander 100 yards off trail, dig a hole, and leave their TP in there, I get it, that's not exactly Leave-No-Trace but I'm never going to get angry with you for not blue bagging your TP, more just a little frown. You did the main thing, which was to get it far away from other humans. But the people who leave rocks on top of sh## and TP literally 2 paces from a camp site...or in one case I saw, ON A CAMP SITE...and don't even bother to dig a hole or even use your boot heel to scratch a few inches in... You all are disgusting and I'm ashamed I share a pastime with you. Sorry, just revolted after stumbling into a site at dusk, getting all ready to pitch up, and finding the poop and TP under a rock, right where my head was going to be.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 5:08 pm 
The good news was you found the poop pile before it was too late. I once found a GIANT turd right next to a latrine above Snow Lake. I imagined the poop perpetrator considered themselves too fastidious to SIT on the latrine so made their deposit next to it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:36 pm 
Climate is everything. In the lower, temperate rain forest toilet paper decomposes swiftly. I was surprised at the speed. The turds? Not so fast and having a dog eat that and then come over and ..... I'm starting to not feel so good...icky.
Poopage disposal unit.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 pm 
This is my favorite....pitched my tent near Leprechaun Lake and noticed this the next day. Huge frozen turd
Turd in the Enchantments
Turd in the Enchantments

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 pm 
The only place I've seen human poop (not just a pile of old toilet paper) is inside Ape Cave frown.gif Dog chit on the other hand, is EVERYWHERE nowadays. Especially on trails that allow horses. The horse riders aren't dismounting and picking up after their loose, wild dogs every time they take a chit.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 pm 
In the pasayden, at a nice campsite along the Chewuch River literally about 30 ft out of camp was circled with turds laid out as if the pooper was squatting facing camp. They were close together, too, as if it was a large group that used the spot regularly and that was their regular and accepted pop method. No tp, but also no signs of any attempt to cover or even conceal the poop.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 am 
Not to diminish the poopetrator's dirty deeds, but eventually it will break down. What I can't stand, and think is completely wrong, are those "soft fiber" toilet wipes...they are not even paper. They are like a thick dryer sheet for D-bags' dainty butts, and will probably not biodegrade in a lifetime! Why are some people so self centered that they think it is OK to leave that sh1+ behind! Oh...I could rant on, and on, but rant over now.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:21 am 
seattlenativemike wrote:
This is my favorite....pitched my tent near Leprechaun Lake and noticed this the next day. Huge frozen turd
Turd in the Enchantments
Turd in the Enchantments
Sasquatch dont bury their turds.

Julia

Julia
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 am 
Yes! More unburied poop, tp & *plastic* tampon applicators along the trails & campsites than ever. eck.gif LNFT, Ok?!?? *Rant Off*

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am 
The number of hikers have exploded in the last several years (blame the internet) and it seems that most are pigs, full of crap, get lost a lot, and drive like maniacs to and from the TH.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:07 am 
It takes time for wilderness etiquette to soak in, and the increasing proportion of kids (i.e. those under 25) on trails these days - ultimately a good thing - means increased TP blooms, unburied poo, noise pollution, etc. in the short term. I've certainly done dumb things in the past, before I had the capacity to reason about what the world would be like if everyone did the same. The best thing you can do is go hiking/camping with a young person and hope some of your sense rubs off, or at least buy them a copy of this book for their birthday.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am 
Took a turn down a little way marked by the toilet sign cause i had to go! Stumbled into a campsite! People camped right by the poop hole!!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The numbers of hikers have exploded in the last several years (blame the internet) and it seems that most are pigs, full of crap, get lost a lot, and drive like maniacs to and from the TH.
It seems that way. But much more likely is that there has probably been about the same percentage of pig/humans as before but just more in raw numbers. There's a certain percentage that don't know much better and a certain percentage that know better but just don't care. Sometimes their actions are mind-numbingly stupid About 20 years ago I was hiking through Spider Meadow with my two sons when they can running back to me telling me there was a naked woman up ahead. I investigated and found a woman squatting right in the trail taking a crap; not in a hole, not on the side of the trail, right in the middle of the trail! About 16 years ago I was taking a couple out of town friends up Thorp Mountain to visit the fire lookout. On the way back down we encountered a woman we had seen at the lookout crapping in a small little water stream at the side of the trail. Right in the water! When she saw us I yelled at her and she ran down the trail leaving her deposit and TP. 3 years ago I was coming through on the PCT Section L as it ran along the Methow River. I stopped where the PCT crosses the Methow to camp. I found a cleared spot that looked like an established site I thought I might put up my tent. Upon closer inspection I discovered it was the communal latrine. Unburied crap was all over the place, as was TP. This was maybe 35' to 40' from the river's edge. Who does stuff like that? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:04 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
This was maybe 35' to 40' from the river's edge. Who does stuff like that?
You have apparently, sir, never been over on the Naches River between Nile and Sawmill Flat CG during the late summer. eck.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:50 pm 
Ski wrote:
You have apparently, sir, never been over on the Naches River between Nile and Sawmill Flat CG during the late summer.
Preach!