Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 1936 Recreation maps of Chelan county & Cle Elum area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 6:30 pm 
I was up at Leavenworth at my brother's place this weekend and he showed me these old maps he found on some FS historic map site. Don't know if they have been posted here in the past. I couldn't find them in a search. But I found them interesting so I will share.
Portrait
Portrait
Portrait
Portrait
Portrait
Portrait
Portrait
Portrait
Landscape
Landscape

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm 
quite the find. excellent! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 pm 
Very cool HTT! Thanks for posting.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 pm 
Fun stuff! Great find up.gif

bk

bk
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 12:30 am 
A 2014 nwhiker post details some of those same maps . . . with links to bigger scans, on the National Archives Catalog. Time-warping to 1986, the Library of Congress (LOC) Geography and Map Division has a Heinrich Berann map of N. Cascades Nat'l Park. [Listing] [Full size] The current online collection of LOC for WA state stuff is small, at only about 51 items . . . mostly non-mountainous. Picturing America is a teasingly good idea for a book with the maps presented mostly too small to read the printed detail. (These are also mostly non-mountainous.) (It would have been great for an oversized book format but the author, Stephen Hornsby, says he's most pleased with its current size/incarnation.) Hornsby worked, in part, with cooperation of the LOC Geography and Map Division, saying the full scan maps may be available at LOC, online. However, a call to the LOC Geography and Map Division about a year ago showed that while, yes, the cited pictorial maps were in the LOC's collection, most (referenced in Hornsby's book) had not been scanned and posted online yet. But that was a year ago. Maybe some slow and steady progress has been made? Sno-Isle Library System has database suggestions for local history links, but a quick glance at some of them come up empty for mountain maps. The 2014 nwhiker post, above, seems best.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 6:08 am 
bk wrote:
A 2014 nwhiker post details some of those same maps . .
I missed that post in my search of NWH. Great source! Thanks for pointing it out. That could have been where my brother found the maps in the first place(he could not remember the source). I will send him the link.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 12:51 pm 
Those are fun. Got a chuckle at the sheep in the lower part of the Cle Elum one... not something you see much any more, but I have seen sheep in the hills a couple times over the years.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 am 
Some oddball things on these maps! Of course. On the Leavenworth map, I see the route Ragman and Rodman took up What-is-now-called-Etienne Creek to the east summit of Three Brothers. I also see a route east of Wedge Mountain that seems to start at Highway 97 and end at Ingalls Creek. I have noodled around that area quite a bit seeking serpentine flowers and never noticed anything remotely resembling a route across there. confused.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 am 
H.T.T. Thanks for posting the rec maps. I was especially taken with the Lk Wenatchee and Leavenworth maps. Spent a lot of time in that area as a kid. Hit a lot of the trails and lakes shown. The Leavenworth winter ski area was a place we used to frequent when they were having the ski jump competition. It was a big deal and was always played up big time in the Wenatchee Daily World. Does anyone know when that event came to a halt? I also saw on the Lk Wenatchee map that there was a lookout on Mt David. I think my dad packed in construction materials for that. He talked about what a challenge it was to load the windows and to get them in without breaking. Also I think it was not uncommon to find herds of sheep in the high meadows during the summer. I remember seeing them in Meander Meadows on a hike with my folks and brother.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:23 am 
Dick B wrote:
Does anyone know when that event came to a halt?
Not sure when it ended but I remember attending a world class jumping competition up there in 1965 when I was attending Wenatchee Valley College. A guy we knew at WVC was in the competition. At that time I think there were just three buildings in Leavenworth that had a Bavarian motif.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 8:58 am 
Dick B wrote:
not uncommon to find herds of sheep in the high meadows during the summer.
To this day, many of the big, open meadows in the eastern Cascades are dominated by plants that are toxic to sheep. Shadows of forgotten resource exploitation.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir