Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suiattle river trail to Miners ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 pm 
So chiwawa entrance is out. Anyone have any info on the suiattle river trail to miners ridge. Would that still be accessible? How far from the trailhead to miners ridge? Was thinking of going in that way then onto high pass and then back. Really want to check out triad lake. Thanks

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 pm 
Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news. Check out this restriction to see if it is in the area you want to go: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd589950.pdf

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 pm 
Its closed from the other side in the valleys. I dont see anything about suiattle river trail being closed. Only PCT after Suiattle pass twoards high bridge. I'll be image lake to triad lake and inbetween.

none
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 am 
I realize this is probably not what you want to hear given how determined you are to get there, but I would really consider keeping it for a clear day. Last year we went there late in the year as an overnight and it was beautiful. You're going to be fine (right now) with the Suiattle River road and trail access, but it's likely to be very smokey. You perhaps won't even see Glacier Peak. The traverse to High Pass is a glorious trail, and it's really a waste of time & effort to hike there just to be looking at smokey mountains. I'd look carefully at the wind & smoke forecast once your trip gets closer and find an area to go where it's either more clear, or were the experience doesn't rely on views (rivers, forest). On the outlook: I understood that currently they are mainly closing the road due to equipment they're bringing to fight the Cougar Creek Fire. This is not an evacuation of the area for the threat of the fire spreading into the Chiwawa drainage. This would mean that hopefully it will re-open sooner than normal closures once the fires gets some rain and the work winds down.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 am 
Btw, just to mention it: there is still one alternative route, which is to take the White River, go up to Boulder Pass and cross the Napeequa. It will be equally smokey and harder though (no real trail most of the route). More interesting route though with much less establish trail and less traffic.

iron

iron
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 am 
ditto what mb said. if you were visiting WA and wanted to risk it and your life, sure, go for it. if you live here and can wait 'til we have a year that isn't sh## with fires, do that. it's too spectacular of an area to go when it's crap out.

mike

mike
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 pm 
I'd rather go in rain/snow with no views (done that) than this smoke.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:44 pm 
Thanks for the input. I've been up there before and the views are great. It would be a different experience in the smoke and haze for sure.

none
Dale Wick
sumitup

Dale Wick
sumitup
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:30 pm 
No problem hiking the Suiattle trail to Miners Ridge and it is okay to continue over Suiattle Pass, Cloudy Pass and down to Holden. It is only the PCT section from Suiattle to Bridge Creek that is closed. Sounds like you are only going to Image Lake or the lookout and that is fine.