Forum Index > Trail Talk > Circumnavigating Mt Hood
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:41 pm 
I'm planning on doing the 40 (ish) mile loop hike around Mt. Hood. I've read various descriptions and reports, just looking for additional information and recommendations. Planning on 4 days. Any camps that are particularly good? Any camps that are particularly bad? Should I be worried about camps filling up (the trip will include a Saturday night)? I know there are a few places with alternate routes - anyone have preferences when it comes to which way to go? Any compelling reasons to start anywhere other than Timberline Lodge? Any must do side trips? Anything else I'm not thinking of? clown.gif embarassedlaugh.gif I assume river and stream crossings will not be an issue this late in the summer (starting Aug 25).

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 pm 
Yana, are you aware oregonhikers.org has a quite good description of the Hood circumnav in their Field Guide Timberline Trail? As well, there have been many Timberline Trail TRs posted on that site. I thought this recent TR was quite good.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm 
I haven't done the loop, have hiked bits and pieces of the TT on various day hikes. As far as starting at Timberline Lodge, if you go clockwise you will get to end your hike w/ a nasty climb out of the White River drainage up a somewhat sandy hillside. Not a lot of fun. Several nice side trips I'm aware to slighter higher vantages. McNeil Point is cool, as is the knife edged ridge above the stone shelter. If going clockwise, shortly after hitting the Vista Ridge intersection, and before you drop down to Elk Cove, there is a route that is partially decent user trail and partially bushwacking up to Barrett Spur and/or Dollar Lake. I think the TT passes right by the stone shelter in the Cooper Spur area. A trail splits off right by the shelter and ascends the Spur along the edge of the Eliot Glacier. You can ascend right up to the foot of steep snow/glacier on the NE flank of the mountain. Going downhill from there you could check out the Cloud Cap/Tilly Jane A frame area. Gnarl Ridge area, very short detour up to Lamberson Butte. Not sure how close the TT goes by it, Ramona Falls (near Sandy River) is worth checking out--it's gorgeous. I think that's all I got. I have no idea about how crowded campsites get or if there are sites better avoided. Oregonhikers.org would have a bunch of beta for you. I'm sure you've read about river/creek crossings, Mt. Hood National Forest isn't into bridges so much. Some crossings can be problematic at times.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 pm 
One more, quite a bit of open wandering to be had in the Paradise Park area, generally upward toward Mississippi Head. Would be early on the first day if you went clockwise from Timberline Lodge. Also, one area I've been curious about but haven't checked out yet is Yocum Ridge. That would be quite a bit more of a detour from the TT. Oh, about the area approaching McNeil Point. I would ditch the TT and stay on the south side of Bald Mountain, where scores of hikers come up from Top Spur trailhead. Great view of Hood and some nice meadows along the ridge. Then I would take the short steep "climbers" trail directly up to the Point and the stone shelter. You can easily enough rejoin the TT using the network of trails up on that little plateau.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 pm 
It's a little disorganized, but here are various trip reports of mine including McNeil Point, Barrett Spur, Cooper Spur and Gnarl Ridge. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8007724 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8012281 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017088

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 pm 
My daughter and I found CW from timberline lodge to be quite pleasant. Eliot Creek crossing has been rerouted, repaired and officially reopened the trail, so even this difficulty is gone. Lots of water sources and great trail, a winner for sure. Enjoy.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 pm 
Three other things I recall from Oregonhiker TRs: the water has been turned off at Cloud Cap campground (some folks have used it as a water source), the most likely place to encounter the screaming hordes is at Ramona Falls, and the new Eliot Creek crossing is still challenging for some. The only reason I can think of not to start at Timberline would be to be able to spend a lovely night at Timberline Lodge as one of your "campsites" on the trail. I've not done the TT myself, but would really like to some day (maybe in my next life), so I've done a lot of research and keep up on TT developments.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 pm 
Thanks all for the suggestions/links. I had read the oregonhikers trail guide, it is a really good resource for sure. Another question I have not yet found the answer to: why do most people do/suggest doing it CW?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 15, 2018 11:18 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
the most likely place to encounter the screaming hordes is at Ramona Falls
Portland has seen similar growth to Seattle, thus similar crowding on trails. Especially with most of the trails along I-84 being closed after last year's Eagle Creek fire. Probably several sections along the TT are likely to be crowded, especially on a weekend.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:28 am 
Yana wrote:
Another question I have not yet found the answer to: why do most people do/suggest doing it CW?
It depends on what part of the day you start. If you start at lunch time or later on most days (from Timberline), then you will be in the sun for a lot of your hike. If you start in the early morning, you will be ahead of the direct sun for much of the hike, then shielded by forest. I live near Portland and hike on Mt Hood often. The way you go and where you start can depend on what kind of experience you prefer. For example, I like being in the forest and I have a fear of heights. So, I normally hike the "6 o'clock" point to about the "12 o'clock" point. This is Timberline going clockwise to the Compass Creek area. For going all the way around, I prefer to start at Top Spur trailhead at around the 10 o'clock point and go clockwise. This keeps me out of the sun for most of the day. Explore along the way and camp somewhere between Elk Cove and Compass Creek. The next day, unfortunately is the worst. Not too long after passing Cooper Spur, you will go up in elevation a lot and the trees vanish. So, you're really exposed to the sun now. Continue hiking along the Timberline Trail and camp in the Mt Hood Meadows vicinity. The earlier poster was right about the climb after the White River. It is tough. You don't want to end your day or hike with this. It's better to start your day with this. That's why you camp near Mt Hood Meadows. You can then get lunch at Timberline Lodge. Keep going west after lunch and you'll be at Paradise Park in 2-3 hours, depending on your pace. You can camp here if you like camping at higher elevation. If you don't, then stop at PP for a bit to enjoy the views and the breeze. Then you can climb down towards the Sandy River. That should take no more than an extra hour. There are plenty of spots to camp right before the Sandy River, or you can continue on for about a mile to Ramona Falls. There are plenty of camp spots at Ramona Falls, also. They are very popular, however. Sunset towards the end of August is around the 8 o'clock hour. I'd aim to have secured your campsite every night no later than 4pm-5pm, as they will start to get claimed. Camping at Paradise Park your last night will give you nice sunsets and views, but cooler temperatures at night (probably not an issue). Your hike out to Top Spur the next day will be longer. Camping at Sandy River or Ramona Falls will likely let you fall asleep to the sound of rushing/falling water and be a warmer site. However, you won't be able to see a sunset. You will have a rather easy hike the next morning to Top Spur trailhead. I've heard about the Timberline Trail being a bit precarious after the Ramona Falls/Timberline Trail split right at Ramona Falls. I've always taken the Ramona Falls Trail up to Top Spur. Some people start/end at the Ramona Falls Trailhead. I think this is the trailhead most likely to encounter car clouters, so I avoid it. I've never had a car break-in at Top Spur or Timberline Lodge.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 am 
Thank you for the details, xrp! I'm kind of the opposite of you - I love higher elevation/open spaces, especially for camping (weather permitting, of course). One of the reasons I'm considering CCW from Timberline Lodge is specifically because of the comment about the difficulty of the sandy ascent from White River when finishing the trail CW.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 pm 
Yana wrote:
One of the reasons I'm considering CCW from Timberline Lodge is specifically because of the comment about the difficulty of the sandy ascent from White River when finishing the trail CW.
That would be a near perfect way to do it. You will still have a lot of ascent day 1, but it’ll be a bit more gradual. And you and the sun will be moving in opposite directions. It will be a relatively pleasant hike for you until you have to go from the Sandy River/Ramona Falls up the PCT/Timberline Trail to Paradise Park. After PP it is just another dip down into ZigZag Canyon, a bit of switchbacking back up and then another pleasant 2 miles to your start/finish point at Timberline Lodge.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 12:39 pm 
We ended up doing it clockwise because the first two days of our trip were forecast to have sustained high winds and rain (starting the first night) - decided to save the most exposed, sustainably at higher elevation days for the better weather. Worked out well. All the crossings were fine. Coe Creek may have been problematic if someone hadn't made pretty good multi-tree-parts bridges. Eliot was definitely the pushiest. Very pretty and varied terrain. It was also an interesting mix of solitude and hordes (depending on how close you were to a trailhead, or if you were on the PCT).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 pm 
Cool, glad it worked out well. TR coming? I just saw one on oregonhikers this morning for a one day TT blitz. Went counterclockwise starting at Timberline Lodge. Was posted today but I think the trip was in in late July. Several creek crossings were waist deep. I love the variety and beauty of hikes within fairly close proximity of Seattle. I've also really enjoyed various day hikes around Hood when I'm down that way. It's just a bit different than stuff around here. Similar, but has its own flavor. Plus it's the mountain I grew up closest to so it has a special affinity for me.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 12:53 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Cool, glad it worked out well. TR coming?
Thanks! Nah, too lazy to write TRs these days.