Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Living In Twisp?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 pm 
I've spent time in Maine. Nice enough but I'll take my chances in WA

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 11:32 am 
I have a place waiting in remote SE Alaska....that's my NW bailout

iron

iron
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 12:34 pm 
BPG: your idea of waterfront property in a sunny spot sounds like my perfect setup too. i can't imagine much better than that. but yeah, the smoke. right now, it's a total dealbreaker. we have contemplated moving to wenatchee, but each time, smoke is a huge deterrent.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 12:39 pm 
Plus, there are probably more chickens in Wenatchee. chickenleg.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 12:49 pm 
The current wildfire smoke is hitting all of Central and Eastern WA, but often Wenatchee gets it worse than Eburg, where the winds blow out the smoke. (The winds provided a respite last week for a full day, and moderately strong winds are forecasted for later this week.) Wenatchee also tends to have persistent fog in winter, which is rare in Eburg. Don't get me wrong: Wenatchee is a nice town in a fantastic position for outdoor activities. Re moving back east, I will gladly suffer wildfire smoke some parts of some summers vs. the guarantied high humidity and hot muggy nights in the eastern U.S. I grew up in the muggy buggy midwest. I aint goin' back. Advice to any PNW natives considering moving back east: Spend a summer there before committing long term.

WolverineWay

WolverineWay
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:46 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
2. For those of us at or near retirement age....it probably is too far away from good healthcare.
Lots of ex-pats in Cuenca, Ecuador for this reason. You don't have to limit your retirement options to the good ol' USA, especially when it comes to affordable healthcare! They pretty much specialize in this down there. Mountains and forest aplenty.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Maine is looking more attractive all the time. The smoke situation will only get worse as summers get warmer and fire seasons get longer. Mark my word, in another decade or so the fires will be cranking up by mid July and we'll be living with smoke and terrible air quality from July - September. If I can't recreate outdoors in the summer, what's the point of living here?
I grew up in Connecticut. I remember a 2 week vacation to Maine where it rained (poured) every day. Humidity stays at about 10,000 % through the summer. It feels like you just got out of the shower, all day. Your hair never dries. If you start to sweat, it's real hard to stop. You know what the worst thing about poison ivy is? We're the only animal that gets it. Dogs will run right through a patch of it without thinking twice, then they'll come home and roll on you. The mountains out there just aren't like what we have here. Edit to add: I forgot to tell you about the watermelon-sized mosquitoes...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:38 pm 
The Methow is expensive. I guess if you have a house in the Seattle area to sell, you'd do OK. The medical is a big problem. You can drive over the Loup Loup Pass to the clinic in Omak, but don't have any major work done there. It is spendy because they have no competition. The Wenatchee clinic owns the clinic here and rates went up. Loup Loup pass was having a daily slide on it during the spring. Folks were having to drive around going through Brewster and Pateros to get home. Okanogan County is uber conservative. The Methow not so much. Should you look at acreage, see if it is fenced. You may be looking at land in Open Range and you will be the one who has to fence the cows out. It used to get cold there. On one holiday weekend we were entertained by watching the coasties (you will be a coastie) trying to start their cars in -27 degree temps. I had no garage but kept a heat lamp underneath the engine and a sleeping bag on the hood. That worked. You won't be able to run to the store for odd things. You'll be making a long list and going to Omak or Wenatchee if you need more than the basics. I think that has improved since I lived there. Amazon did not exist then, either. The valleys all get inversions in the winter. It'll be gray and foggy/smoky in the valley for days, but you can go up to the Loup and ski in the sun. That's only 12 miles from Twisp. I am in the Okanogan Valley now. I've lived here before and grew up in the Wenatchee area. My neighborhood had a block party. They asked where I was from and I told them that. They seemed friendlier and said, "Guess you're not a coastie afterall." I don't think that is a stigma in the Methow but I've heard folks here call it Little Seattle. No insult intended, that's just the way it is. The thing about this whole county is there is a lack of good paying work. There seems to be plenty of minimum wage work, but the "middle class" works in govt. jobs or their own businesses. One native Methowian used to whine that you couldn't enjoy the summer because you had to get ready for the winter. The new residents can probably buy their firewood though. And the final complaint I have heard made about both valleys is that there are too many Mexican Restaurants. I do like the taco wagon fare, but I do not know if they exist in the Methow.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:41 pm 
Also, if you are looking out of town, know where your water comes from, how deep the well is, and know a thing or two about water rights. Water is precious.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 6:54 pm 
Treeswaper, thanks so much! Lots to chew on. Very much appreciated

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The valleys all get inversions in the winter.
Ya, I forgot to mention those inversions. I've done five-day MV trips where the inversion lasted the whole time. There's a special bone chilling cold during that time. If you can get up high, it's glorious. In the valley, not. XC skiing is still fun. But doesn't resemble the publicity photos. As well, the air quality is not at the "good" level then. The decent medical care in Wenatchee was what I had in mind when I opined the MV was just a bit too far from such care. Wenatchee itself seems like a nice town and a nice place to raise a family. There's plenty of good outdoor recreation nearby. But for me, too many drawbacks. The lovely, soft green of the hills in the spring is quickly replaced by the desiccation of the whole rest of the year. I like green. The degraded Wenatchee air these days is more than a "few weeks". More like "many weeks". And it's just too hot. Too much wildfire danger in the surrounding area. If one has an air conditioned house with a state of the art HEPA filtration system, I suppose neither the heat nor pollution matter. I cannot help but wonder what will happen to Wenatchee's economy as a result of the war being waged against a certain segment of the work force by a certain someone in an eponymous East Coast city (go ahead, mod I dare you to censor that). RE: Maine - the ticks, don't forget the ticks.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Humidity stays at about 10,000 % through the summer. It feels like you just got out of the shower, all day. Your hair never dries. If you start to sweat, it's real hard to stop.
Yeah, it's impossible to convey to native PNWers the oppressiveness of the humidity in July and August back east. A typical summer day is 90F @ 90% humidity, and a typical summer night is 80F @ 90% humidity and hordes of mosquitoes. It's just awful and the #1 reason I moved out west. Yeah, wildfire smoke is unhealthy, but if I hiked back east as much I've hiked out here I would have died of a heart attack years ago.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm 
So it seems that the consensus is that everywhere sucks, in one way or another.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Nope. The PNW doesn't suck. It's great out here. There will always be yeahbuts who will see the dark side in everything.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Nope. The PNW doesn't suck. It's great out here. There will always be yeahbuts who will see the dark side in everything.
Yea as long as you don't have to deal with traffic, overall it's good. I'm glad I bought property in a rain forest, the way the climate is changing, it will soon be a near perfect environment.