Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Living In Twisp?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:11 pm 
.....You won't be able to run to the store for odd things. You'll be making a long list and going to Omak or Wenatchee if you need more than the basics. I think that has improved since I lived there.... Yeah...not so much in the Methow anymore...that was 30 years ago. There are: Two well stocked hardware stores, 2 lumber yards, an irrigation and pipe supply store, a feed store. Two welding/machine shops, a couple small engine repair places, and 3 or 4 competent auto repair places. Two coffee roasters. Three bakeries. Two great grocery stores in Twisp and Winthrop, a large health food store in Twisp and a decent store in Mazama. Between them they have enough yuppie cheese/sausage/truffle oil/bone broth and organic gluten free shade grown kumquats, etc. etc. items, to rival anywhere in Eastern WA outside of probably Spokane. A great movie theatre opened last year...doing very well. Four outdoor/sporting goods/bike shops. A GREAT bookstore that is better than any I have found in Wenatchee. I end up in a Walmart or Costco, when I am outside the valley for other reasons, for cheap shampoo, toothpaste, vitamins, socks and underwear. But just to save a few bucks... Dining out is a hit and miss.... I can’t think of much basics lacking in the Methow.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pcg

pcg
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:31 pm 
So on those days when the air is particularly bad in Winthrop and Twisp, is it any better in Mazama?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 7:20 am 
Yup, my Methow Valley buds hit Wenatchee Costco 1X or 2X a month. I hit Costco less often since moving to Eburg. YakiVegas (Union Gap, actually) Costco is a 40 mile drive from our house. I hit it every week or two. When we lived in West Seattle, I drove within 1-2 miles of Costco store #1 most days.
pcg wrote:
So on those days when the air is particularly bad in Winthrop and Twisp, is it any better in Mazama?
IME usually not, but it depends on the location of the fire and wind. I would imagine upper valley was a bit less smoky during the Carlton Complex fire. Maybe the locals have better knowledge.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am 
Twisp used to have bad air in the winter. That was before woodstoves were made to spew less smoke. I imagine that with gentrification, fewer people are heating with woodstoves. Also, I'd not live near the river, Twisp or Methow. When I lived there part of town was evacuated when an ice jam by the bridge was backing up the Twisp River. I joined a crowd of onlookers as one of the Lloyds was on a large cat, in the river, breaking up the ice jam. He was successful and the trailer park was saved. Looked like he got a wet butt though. Okanogan now has an IGA which is located in a building that used to be a grocery store. Omak is getting a Grocery Outlet. That will make 5 grocery stores in the area. Before the recession, it was rumored that a Costco was going in here. That rumor is now dead. I imagine they were going to take advantage of all the Canadian traffic. I enjoy living here because I can ride my bike to stores or walk. My pickup sits unused quite a bit.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 9:40 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Okanogan now has an IGA
How does Hanks compare with IGA? Is the IGA worth the drive? What about pressing on to the Wally World in Omak?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 12:29 pm 
I haven't been to Hank's in like 30 years. The IGA is good for Okanogan. Okanogan had no grocery store for many years.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 am 
When I left Issaquah 7 years ago I first looked in the Carlton, Twisp Winthrop area. Since I was traveling then it didnt really matter where I lived. At that time, I didnt want to go into the kind of debt I would have had to to get into a house I was willing to live in. So, I moved to Cle Elum. Im happy here, and Ive paid off my mortgage in that time. Ive thought of moving up to Twisp still, but I really like my 6.5 acres where I am. Lately Ive been looking into some lite (2-5) acres up the Twisp river road for summer/winter recreation. Maybe a place to park a travel trailer. Ultimately, one of the issues mentioned seems to ring true for me. At this point Im far enough from the west side that I dont see my family as much as Id like. Had I moved to Twisp Id have never seen them!!! One hour from King county is one thing, four hours is another.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 am 
Five hours is even better! up.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Maybe a place to park a travel trailer.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 am 
I just bought a place in Moscow, Idaho and am planning to give it a go. You never really know a place until you live here. Actually, I did live there 25 years ago and liked it a lot.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:42 pm 
RichP wrote:
I just bought a place in Moscow, Idaho and am planning to give it a go. You never really know a place until you live here. Actually, I did live there 25 years ago and liked it a lot.
Whoa! So is this for weekend getaways or are you relocating to Idaho? Wow... Big move. ~z

RichP

RichP
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 am 
zephyr wrote:
So is this for weekend getaways or are you relocating to Idaho?
This will be my primary residence. I'm one of those people that got priced out of Seattle and the region in general. Twisp was my short list but since I still have some working years ahead I chose a thriving college town (close to another college town) with the hopes that it will provide some opportunity for employment as I'm in the education field. The house I bought was less than 1/3 the price of a similar home in Seattle and I won't be trying to pay off a mortgage until my dying day. biggrin.gif I do love Seattle and the Puget Sound but it's time to move on after 20+ years here.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 3:09 pm 
RichP, we will be looking forward to Idaho trip reports.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 9:03 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
RichP, we will be looking forward to Idaho trip reports.
Exactly! Bon Voyage and best of luck over there. ~z

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 pm 
@RichP, I hope you stay as a member on this forum, too. Idaho is part of the NW. I'd love to see some photos, I've only driven across a few times, never spent any real time there. I remember part of it being gorgeous. I also hope you have a great time exploring new territory! smile.gif