Forum Index > Trail Talk > Who removes abandoned vehicles from the forest?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:55 pm 
In the past few years I come across an old Subaru wagon, an RV, a Jeep and pieces of a car. Is this what the "Friends Of The Trail" specializes in or ?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm 
If you find out perhaps you can go up the Beckler river road and get the trailer dumped over the bank. Usually the sheriff runs a background check to see if it was stolen, etc before it is hauled off which can take time.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm 
If you find out perhaps you can go up the Beckler river road and get the trailer dumped over the bank. Usually the sheriff runs a background check to see if it was stolen, etc before it is hauled off which can take time.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:05 pm 

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:20 pm 
Washington State Patrol or County Sheriff usually deals with those. When I sold my Opel (after rolling it three times), the guy dragged it out into the woods on a local military reservation and dismantled it, then got shipped out and abandoned it. WSP called me on the phone telling me I was responsible (as the legal owner) for the towing and impound charges. Fortunately I had a bill of sale that had been witnessed by two co-workers - the guy never bothered to get the title transferred - not my problem. My buddy's daughter's Honda was stolen, stripped, dragged out into the woods, and rolled upside-down. WSP called him (as the legal owner) and expected him to pay for towing and impound fees. His full-coverage State Farm insurance policy paid him for the vehicle, and State Farm dealt with the towing and disposal of the vehicle.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:30 pm 
Don't forget to fill out the release of interest form attached to the bottom of the title, you can also do it online to avoid having to mail it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm 
That's for sure. Back in the hay day of the Celicas, I paid a guy to tow it off for a fee. Well I forgot to turn over the bill of sale. 8 months later I get a fine for abandoned vehicle after the tow truck driver took it into town and dumped it.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 pm 
This conversation reminds me of the time my car broke down on the road to the Wynochee Reservoir. Eventually a Forest Service truck came by that we flagged down. The driver promised to call the sheriff for us. Some hours later the sheriff finally showed up. He had been heading in to assist us, but on the way he noticed a Honda that was down, off the road. He thought that was the car the call was about so he called in a tow truck and had it hauled out. Luckily for us, he kept driving instead of turning around and found us. But another tow truck had to be called in from Aberdeen to give us a tow so it was a long day. My wife was not happy, and I mean really not happy, about having to pick us up in Aberdeen that night. Or about driving back to pick up the car after it had been repaired.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 1:59 pm 
I'll try to contact the authorities again.... And the FOTT.
Now who is going to clean up this mess???
Now who is going to clean up this mess???

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 2:23 pm 
It’s hard to determine who to call when it’s DNR or BLM, but the others should be easy to contact. Were you able to contact the land manager?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm 
I found a 1956 Oldmobile super 88 back in the woods. It still has a lot of value for the parts on it including good rear bumper.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm 
The one time I reported one of these vehicles the Sheriff told me it was the land owner's responsibility.

altersego

altersego
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 5:16 pm 
There are two shot up, burnt out cars just over the Carbon River at the firing range on the way to the Summit Lake/Bearhead Mtn TH. Looked like they'd been there a while when I drove by last year. Not vehicles, but when we hiked Old Sauk a couple years ago we wandered into what might normally be a nice dispersed campsite at the end of the trail across the road. It was littered with garbage, small kitchen appliances, unspent rounds, and some drug paraphernalia. Real bug out looking situation.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 am 
Initially way back when, I did call in the Jeep Cherokee and the Dodge RV. They said they were aware of them. Weren't sure how to remove them.... I havent called about the Subie wagon(rusted body) or Mitsubishi? (green body peices). The Subaru is next to the road near the junction to Thorpe LO..... I'm sure it's been called in. The green chopped body parts are .3-.4'ish miles past Lizard Lake (Stampede Pass) on a spur road on the left. Not far in on the right. 3 body pieces.

thename

thename
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 10:02 am 
I'd wondered about this recently on my drive out FS 4021