Forum Index > Trail Talk > Recommend a 15-25 mile day trail in the Rainier/Greenwater region?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 pm 
Can anyone recommend a 15 to 25 mile day hike trail, anywhere in the Mount Rainier/Greenwater/Bumping lake areas? I prefer to only hike away from the trails with hundreds of people, so that I get a chance to see wildlife. Last weekend I hiked from Carbon river trailhead to Moraine park to Mystic lake and return, that was a long day, I really liked it. I'd like another one like that, about 30 miles. I really liked the Mount Aix and Tatoosh hikes too. Looking for combination destinations perhaps, joining a few hikes together, where I can return to the same car park.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 12:28 am 
How do you feel about road walking part of the time? I did a loop a couple years ago, West Side Road to St. Andrews Creek, then counterclockwise direction on the Wonderland Trail til I hit the South Puyallup Camp and followed that drainage back down to the road. Hit the road again at Round Pass so it wasn't nearly as far along the road for that last segment. I think that was around 20 miles, unfortunately about 12 of it was on the West Side Rd. But instead of dropping down at S. Puyallup you could stay on the Wonderland and take in the Emerald Ridge area and then double back to S. Puyallup when you felt like it, could easily get up to 30 miles that way.

silence

silence
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:12 am 
It's hard in the middle of summer to find complete solitude at Rainier, but once you blow thru the first 3 or 4 miles you will only see the Wonderlanders on this one. Out and back to Mystic from Sunrise is about 21 miles. There's also the out and back to Windy Gap (again from the Carbon River) which is a lot less crowded. To extend it you could either climb up to Tyee or head over to the Natural Bridge. Maybe about 25 mi RT.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am 
You could also do Kautz Creek to Indian Henry's Hunting Ground, then however far on the Wonderland as you felt like going. I think Emerald Ridge isn't very far beyond the cabin at Indian Henry's.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:24 am 
When I saw your topic heading I thought I might pop in and recommend the hike I did yesterday. But it was Carbon River trailhead to Moraine Park to Mystic Lake which was a fantastic hike, but, as it turns out, not very helpful to you.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:31 am 
FS73 to Grand Park then to Sunrise then back down to FS73 via Huckleberry Creek.

JimmyBob

JimmyBob
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 3:53 pm 
Thanks very much, these give me some good ideas.