Forum Index > Photography Talk > Abandoned vehicles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
benchr

benchr
PostSat Nov 11, 2017 6:10 pm 
This is a somewhat strange request, but hoping some here can help me out. I am working on a photo-documentary about abandoned antique vehicles that have been left in the woods to rust on public lands over the years. There is a strange kind of beauty when nature starts to take over and plants begin growing through and on top of these abandoned vehicles. I have already located and photographed a number of these vehicles in the greater Seattle area. For example, on the "Bus Trail" at Lake Tradition, as you might imagine, there is an old abandoned bus that remains to this day. I am looking for other such vehicles that you may have run across. I am ready to hike, and it doesn't need to be close to Seattle - but as long as it is somewhere in Washington state I will go find it. If you help me out with identifying a location that I haven't already photographed, I will share a complementary copy of the final product with you! Photos are also welcome, but I won't use them without a release. Thanks BC

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 am 
RichP

RichP
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 6:29 pm 
There is an old car on the side of Mailbox Pk with a tree growing out of where the motor used to be. I believe it's a Buick. Sorry, I don't know the exact location but have seen photos of it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 6:50 pm 
There is a Dodge (Dart?) just off the Central Peak trail on Squak Mt. there is an old car Ford? just above Talus on the Shangrala trail. Of course there is the truck/loader at Dirty Harrys museum. Some old equipment near Hardscrable Creek on the Middle Fork.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm 
There is some logging equipment that was in the Mt St Helen's blast zone on Coldwater Ridge.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 am 
There is a rusted steel frame of some sort of automobile or truck in the northeast "corner" of Andrews Field on the Queets. Member raising3hikers posted a photo of it here somewhere. here it is: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7974441 There was a rusted frame of some sort of automobile with the engine still mounted on it at the south end of Leadbetter Point State Park - that was 20 years ago so I can't say if it's still there. I would imagine it is - it was half-buried in the sand.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 2:42 pm 
I think there's half of an old VW bug near the trail on Green Mountain (the Kitsap one).

Damian

Damian
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm 
Don't forget the Seattle city bus parked on the Silver Creek route heading to Mineral City.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm 
There's a steam donkey on the north bank of the Ozette River, about half a mile from the mouth. It got there under its own power so it's a vehicle of sorts.

mike

mike
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
Another steam donkey used to be visible up on the hill east of Prairie (hwy9)

whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 pm 
There is an antique van next to the east section of the May Creek Trail, due south of Lake Boren Park. I saw this baby blue beauty on the Observatory Road near Ellensberg: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19881&highlight=observatory#&pid=461726172

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm 
^ not enough bullet holes in it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:13 pm 
^ hmmm.... '71 Lemans ? almost enough bullet holes.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:54 am 
Ski wrote:
^ hmmm.... '71 Lemans ? almost enough bullet holes.
I can only identify early 70's gm's if I can see the grills or deck lids. 71 LeMans was my first car.. tail lights where in the bumper.. looked about the same condition, but mine had more rust... Detroit car. There is a 50's era vehicle being reclaimed by the woods near our place in gold bar. One big tree across the roof. Easy to get too, but not quite so aesthetic. I can try to get you a quick shot and location if you like. It gold bar school district property, east of town, just off highway 2 and reiter. I'd draw a map with a redline, but it might create a tread. wink.gif