Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Need help with this website graphic for wildfire smoke.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 pm 
I saved this from last year relating to the forest fire smoke in our region. I can't remember how I got it, but I am pretty sure someone here posted it. I bookmarked it and found it again tonight. But somehow I must have saved it for a particular day. I can't seem to figure out how to get a current one. If you are familiar with this website and can give me simple directions for how to set it up for the current day I would really appreciate it. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 am 
zephyr wrote:
But somehow I must have saved it for a particular day. I can't seem to figure out how to get a current one.
Well, let's see...first I looked at the entire URL (http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=loop_of_the_day/goes-16/20170801000000&number_of_images_to_display=100&loop_speed_ms=100) as found in the address window. Then I noticed the last few words (...&loop_speed_ms=100) and changed it to 1000 to see if I could slow it down. It did, and by a factor of 10 as expected. I did this first to see if the site would allow me to make changes, and then follow them. Some do, some do not. Then I began removing portions of the URL address, a bit at a time until I found a directory that displayed a page instead of "404" message. Here: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/, and from there I clicked on the highlighted "SLIDER" to find this URL, and it has options for inserting (or choosing) date/time info: http://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=full_disk&x=10848&y=10848&z=0&im=12&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&map=1&lat=0&p%5B0%5D=16&opacity%5B0%5D=1&hidden%5B0%5D=0&pause=0&slider=-1&hide_controls=0&mouse_draw=0&s=rammb-slider See if that does what you're wanting it to do. A little further looking around pointed me here, a guide: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/training/visit/quick_guides/

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 am 
moonspots wrote:
Then I began removing portions of the URL address, a bit at a time until I found a directory that displayed a page instead of "404" message.
Thank you, moonspots. That's quite a bit of detective work. I will try this later this morning and see if I can get it to work. Really appreciate it. ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 11:32 am 
Well, moonspots, I just now tried it without success. The image I got was the entire globe. I was not able to figure out how to get the Northwest states and southern British Columbia like in this one. I looked at that original URL like you did hoping for a clue. I do see that it refers to the "loop of the day". So perhaps someone at that institute created it especially for themselves, posted it and then a NWHiker picked it up and posted it. One problem is that I do not have any idea as to which product they used. That long list doesn't show a "Smoke" product on the list. There's a "Fire Temperature", but it doesn't look like the one I want. I believe the correct one is some type of "Cloud" product and just happens to show off the smoke inadvertently. Maybe someone who uses this website more regularly will stumble across this thread and give us a clue. Thanks for taking the time to look into it. ~z

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 3:54 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Well, moonspots, I just now tried it without success. The image I got was the entire globe. I was not able to figure out how to get the Northwest states and southern British Columbia like in this one. I looked at that original URL like you did hoping for a clue. I do see that it refers to the "loop of the day". So perhaps someone at that institute created it especially for themselves, posted it and then a NWHiker picked it up and posted it. One problem is that I do not have any idea as to which product they used. That long list doesn't show a "Smoke" product on the list. There's a "Fire Temperature", but it doesn't look like the one I want. I believe the correct one is some type of "Cloud" product and just happens to show off the smoke inadvertently. Maybe someone who uses this website more regularly will stumble across this thread and give us a clue. Thanks for taking the time to look into it. ~z .
Ok, I see what you're getting at. Digging further (http://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=conus&x=2088&y=2865&z=3&im=6&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=230&motion=loop&map=1&lat=0&p%5B0%5D=17&opacity%5B0%5D=1&hidden%5B0%5D=0&pause=0&slider=-1&hide_controls=0&mouse_draw=0&s=rammb-slider), I discovered some obscure settings that seem to be similar to the one you originally posted. And I say "similar" because the border markings are crude in the results I found as compared to the ones in your link. Anyway, from the above page, I selected (S)atellite = GOES-east, Se(c)tor = CONUS, (P)roduct = natural color, then when I right-click on the image, a popup menu presents various zoom levels. See if that's closer to what you're wanting to see.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
ArcDome

ArcDome
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 6:07 pm 
This site is the closest I've found so far: https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/GOES16_sectors.php?sector=pnw Select GeoColor Loop option on the left side for animated loop. This link gives a better view of WA but no color, select Visible HTML5 Loop: https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nw.html

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 pm 
Thanks, y'all. I will check them out. I appreciate it. ~z

bk

bk
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 9:12 pm 
This is not bad. It uses GOES16 West (? . . . really have no idea what most of this means . . . ?) which seems to point more straight-downwards on WA state. The angle (slanted) of zephyr's original link must be from GOES16 East (??) meaning a diff. satellite . . . more stationary near the east coast(??), thus the angle. It would be cool to reproduce the same angle and zoom as zephyr's orig. link . . . . ( . . . . but the long shot is it will look obnoxiously awful with a blanket-floor of solid smoke, with no pretty brown soil showing through, no matter what the angle.)

bk

bk
PostSun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 pm 
zephyr, in terms of which "product" in the quick guides, it seems like GeoColor is the product. The resultant pdf at the GeoColor (guide) link, in the lower-right is a link to an additional webinar. About 22 mins. long. . . . watching it . . . 14-mins. in and there's no discussion of controlling zoom or extant yet. But they do talk theory on why GeoColor, and various settings are good for smoke viewing, and their philosophy behind it. (But it doesn't apply to all smoke situations since the visibility scenarios in all cases can be slightly different.) Interesting that their nighttime back-layer is from a static city-lights database . . . in order to provide visibility contrast to cloud or smoke layers. Using Google's "link" tag feature shows there are only six websites (including this one) that (also) provide a link to zephyr's original ink. One of those is an interesting list of GOES-16 stuff. Don't know, but it sort of suggests that a number of colleges or organizations (somehow) build their own interface to the GOES16 data? . . . and maybe which determines which "sectors" they make available? (e.g. maybe only rammb uses the static night-light shot for background contrast and the College of DuPage in Illinois' interface does not?)