Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is Wildfire Smoke Beneficial?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 3:37 pm 
Was listening to a show on NPR based out of Berkley. They had a discussion on thinning. Unfortunately, one "expert" was adamantly opposed to it and used the same phrases as the anti-abortion groups. Thinning would be killing trees which sequestered carbon. He had PHDs up to infinity but used that kind of language. He said that any fire prevention should be done around homes and the forest should be left alone. The foresters on the program were not so dramatic and did point out that differnt sites require different treatments. The PHDs guy kept on with his loggers cut all the big trees and kill them spiel. I felt like throwing my thermos at the radio at that point. The forest will manage itself, by burning. That's all we can hope for as no politician is going to touch this matter. We go through this every year at this time. I see no hope. I also see where the controlled burn that was going on in May was a failure and the whole hillside was going with a crown fire across from where I was camped near Kettle Falls. It looked at the time like they were just "jackpot burning" which is just torching off concentrations of fuels. Apparently a bit heavier of a thin might have helped, or not. Fire is fickle and we've had some good winds on this side of the mountains. Just read where there is a level three evacuation for the Twisp River west of Little Bridge Creek today. Good luck to all.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 4:06 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Thinning would be killing trees which sequestered carbon.
I laugh that sad laugh when I hear this - a typical "no management for any reason" kind of person if the account is accurate. 'Cause having the forests burn doesn't kill any trees......riiiiggggttttt. [shakes head]. Some people can't have adult conversations - PhD's up the yin-yang and doesn't get that burnt trees are dead trees. Hmmmm....sounds like what Nassim Talib refers to as a member of the Intelectual-Yet-Idiot class.
Quote:
Typically, the IYI get the first order logic right, but not second-order (or higher) effects making him totally incompetent in complex domains.
If you want the forests to keep sequestering, don't let them burn to a crisp, and / or don't let the sequestered carbon return to the system by rotting, as dead, burnt trees typically do. Oh, and by cutting SOME of the trees (to keep the others from burning) and forming the cut ones into very long lasting timber products (glue lam beams and cross laminated timber panels for example) that will sequester the carbon for as long as the building lasts AND keep the rest of the forest growing. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/12/timber-land/544146/

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 4:33 pm 
Here is the show. https://www.kqed.org/forum/2010101866607/can-more-logging-help-prevent-california-wildfires

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:30 am 
iron wrote:
DIYSteve wrote:
ChainsawWillie does enough bellyaching for 1,000 of us.
^ he is no more
I heard he did some really rotten and unforgivable things to a woman and had to change his user names.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 2:58 pm 
I know a guy that grows Jonagolds next to the Columbia just south of Chelan. He told me years ago that a light coating of ash from wildfires kept his apples from getting sunburnt.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 6:00 pm 
The St Helen's ash kept the weeds down for a bit. It kind of formed a cap on the garden. Fire ash can also do that and that makes water unable to soak in. Then we get lots of run off and problems. But, it's been going on as long as we've had forests, so things even out eventually.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 6:24 pm 
Something I was thinking of, maybe the reduction in sunlight reduces glacial melting? This year we replaced maybe 10 blazing hot and sunny August days with warmish smokey days, that has to have some sort of effect right?

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 8:55 pm 
For me, the smoke makes things a lot better when it's really hot. Working outside its much more pleasant when you don't have to be in the direct sun on a 100 degree day. I do feel bad for people with respiratory issues, though.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 8:12 am 
nickmtn wrote:
maybe the reduction in sunlight reduces glacial melting?
Could be. But I've also heard that dust, ash, etc. settling on the surface of glaciers and snow increases the rate of melting.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 pm 
The smoke keeps people away like the rain?!

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 pm 
^ Nope. Met two different couples from Ohio up at Rainier NP Tuesday. Last week the parking lot at the Kalaloch store was packed, and tourists were lined up inside waiting to spend their money at one of the two cash registers the clerks were running (which is the first time I've ever seen it that busy there.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 11:13 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
We all complain about this unhealthy air but I was curious to know if wildfire smoke beneficial. I'm trying to find a positive side to this. Researching and I can't find anything Specifically the particles released ( microscopic or not ) within it and carried by the winds
Well, I'm thinking that this might be so. The 1" of rain we had a few days ago seemed to clear the air, so I'm guessing that all those little particles are now working their magic in the soil.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 11:54 am 
Does anyone know if smoke has an impact on insects? Thinking mosquitoes...

When I grow up I wanna play.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Sep 01, 2018 1:18 pm 
Smoke is certainly financially beneficial for the makers and sellers of good air purifiers.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 02, 2018 11:22 am 
It ain't over yet. While walking this morning, it looked a bit brownish to the west. I just checked and Twisp's air quality is Very Unhealthy. Hope it doesn't move this way.