Forum Index > Trail Talk > Where is it NOT smokey?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm 
I know, selfish. We usually take a week+ trip uplake Chelan earlier in the summer. Should have known that with the new normal, planning this year's trip for late summer was a dumb idea. Now we're looking at where to go. Yellowstone? Colorado? North Dakota? We have about 11 days to get door to door. We prefer to not fry like bacon in the heat, as we'll be camping out of the truck. But we'll take some compromise. Any go-tos you can recommend? First come first serve is probably what we're limited to, being so late in the season and over a holiday weekend. Thanks in advance! L

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 pm 
Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:49 pm 
Yeah thanks for the link RH. Been looking at that. Oddly the current conditions and forecast seem pretty off? But still we all know the pacific west is under the weather. That's why we're looking/willing to drive so far inland...

GNGSTR
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:58 pm 
Luc wrote:
That's why we're looking/willing to drive so far inland...
You'll have to go pretty far -- I have friends in Spokane and it's really murky there as well. The Black Hills maybe. Within Washington -- Neah Bay / Shi Shi Beach / Lake Ozette are closest to the unsmoky air of the Pacific.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:07 pm 
Agreed. That's why we're willing to put so many miles on the truck. I think the SO isn't as interested in the coast for such a long trip, that's why we're thinking east. East of Idaho, South of Montana.

GNGSTR
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:08 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Within Washington -- Neah Bay / Shi Shi Beach / Lake Ozette are closest to the unsmoky air of the Pacific.
Was out there this weekend, and the smoky haze was noticeable, especially Sunday. Drove back Sunday afternoon via Hwy 101 along Lake Crescent and most of the time we couldn't see the north shore.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm 
When are you leaving? Take a look at these NOAA forecasts before you decide. It's possible your original idea may work out. 6 to 10 Day Outlook 8 to14 Day Outlook Otherwise, check AirNow for an overview of the whole US. Then you can drill down to each state. Boy, WA is getting screwed big time right now.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:28 pm 
Our plan was to leave Seattle, our boat in tow, on Sunday. Trying to figure out those outlook links. Wish it had a particulate forecast. Maybe it does? Anyway, willing to drive a few days without the boat to somewhere cool

GNGSTR
neek

neek
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm 
This is what MODIS saw today:
No place in Washington or Oregon is safe! The southwest looks pretty nice, and it's only supposed to be 117F in Furnace Creek tomorrow. Of course, things can change quickly. Since you're driving, hopefully you have some last minute flexibility.

WolverineWay

WolverineWay
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:51 pm 
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:09 pm 
Luc wrote:
Agreed. That's why we're willing to put so many miles on the truck. I think the SO isn't as interested in the coast for such a long trip, that's why we're thinking east. East of Idaho, South of Montana.
Well, I *think* we had some blue skies poking out around some clouds this morning...but now it's overcast, or maybe that's smoke way up there. Can't smell it, so I don't know.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:09 pm 
bwahaha! no really, we actually went down to the bottom of the rabbit hole on "should we just take a cruise to AK?" naw, too short notice to figure out how to not get shafted on that one.

GNGSTR
Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Well, I *think* we had some blue skies poking out around some clouds this morning...but now it's overcast, or maybe that's smoke way up there. Can't smell it, so I don't know.
tbh, not really joking about heading out your way. There's got to be something cool to see in all that.....flat, right? wink.gif

GNGSTR
pcg

pcg
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 pm 
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 6:06 pm 
Luc wrote:
moonspots wrote:
tbh, not really joking about heading out your way. There's got to be something cool to see in all that.....flat, right? wink.gif
lol.gif Well, yeah, there IS some "flat" here. embarassedlaugh.gif But to see some "not flat", go 32 miles "past Montana": https://www.nps.gov/thro/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm And if you want to do yet another highpoint, White Butte (around 3500') isn't far from there: https://www.summitpost.org/white-butte/151926 And if you're interested in some history, Pompey's Pillar (a few miles east of Billings) is an ok side trip. Not far off 94: https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/lewisandclark/pom.htm Or, head down to the Black Hills. One of my favorites, now that the bike rally is over. And a side note, there is a montain pass in the Back Hills that is at a higher elevation than going over Homestake Pass, crossing the continental divide (just east of Butte, Montana), maybe by 100 or 200'.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology