Forum Index > Trail Talk > Breathing Seattle’s air right now is like smoking 7 cigarettes per day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 2:52 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
From the Seattle Times: Washington’s smoky air looks scary, but UW physician says trust your body’s defenses
Yeah so shut up pay your tuition and go back to class. Not sure I trust this source at all. Yes I know they are a doctor.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 pm 
Good info AlpineRose, thanks for sharing. The ozone thing is a bit controversial yeah. I understood/assumed that not using the ionizer on mine would prevent ozone issues, but I don't know enough about it to really be sure.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 4:26 pm 
uww

uww
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 am 
I'd be interested in knowing how this compares to sitting around a campfire.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 am 
UWW wrote:
Exactly, since many of us do that. I think the smoke thing contains a lot of sensationalism. Yeah, smoke irritates the lungs and all but they clear up. I know of a 90 year old guy who spent a lot of summers on fire crews. I know others who are long in tooth who did the same. It isn't anything new. The Blue Mountains of Oregon were named that because of the smoky haze over them in the summer. There was the fire season of 1910. I imagine that there was always a smoky haze as settlers tried to burn up their stumps and such. It's only a recent thing that fires were suppressed. You can blame it on climate change, but fire has always been part of the ecosystem and it is a natural occurence. We're just not used to it. What I never could understand, being a non-smoker, was how people could light up cigarettes after we'd just vacated an area because the smoke was so thick we were starting to puke and couldn't keep eyes open? confused.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:01 am 
At least with the campfire I can move a little and get five to ten seconds of clean air before the wind inevitably shifts the smoke directly back into my face, haha!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 am 
UWW wrote:
Easy: a campfire isn't 24/7 for a month or two. Plus you can get up and walk out of the smoke.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:27 am 
7 cigarettes per day doesn't sound that bad if you get it for only a brief period... like a few days or a week.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 am 
kiliki wrote:
The sight of people smoking outside downtown office buildings in this smoke is pretty wild. I know they aren't getting their nic fix by breathing the air, but it's just so hard to imagine wanting to produce more smoke in the midst of all of this.
hahahha...There is a no tobacco or vaping rule where I work, but there is another business in the building I work in and a lot of the employees are ciggy smokers, and vape pen suckers. I can't tell you how hilarious, as well as ironic, it is to watch those folks don a mask when they go outside to take a break, only to lift it up so they can take a drag off a cigarette or vape pen.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Arginine

Arginine
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 1:06 pm 
ranger rock wrote:
Yeah so shut up pay your tuition and go back to class. Not sure I trust this source at all. Yes I know they are a doctor.
Wow. Seriously uninformed comment. The individual interviewed has a number of relevant board certifications, at least four published articles on air pollution health effects, and a decent educational/professional pedigree. Maybe accept that she knows more than you do. Here's a book you could read to help your outlook. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-death-of-expertise/

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
7 cigarettes per day doesn't sound that bad if you get it for only a brief period... like a few days or a week.
To repeat, since you didn't get the memo:
Quote:
Also, for the purposes of this discussion the "seven cigarette" level is somewhat meaningless. There are too many variables. For example, is it for someone who works in an air conditioned building all day and drives home in an air conditioned car to a house without air conditioning. Is it for someone who hypothetically speaking would be sitting or walking normally outside for a whole 24 hr day? It's probably not for someone exercising vigorously for a day or days, where smoke inhalation could very well be the equivalent of, oh, 3 packs a day..

Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 am 
There is a lot of research regarding the harmful health effects of inhaled particles and air pollution. Many powerful groups in the US have been against efforts to reduce airborne particle concentrations. The reduction of diesel engine fine particles was pioneered by the California Govt who did a large research project showing human health correlated with monitored airborne diesel soot concentrations. The California research finally forced the US Govt to implement diesel engine soot emission regulations. OK, I know, this thread is about forest fire smoke. There is lots of research on wood fire smoke and the results are published in reports and journals. U of Wash Professor Tim Larson, Dept of Civil and Environmental Engineering has been involved in fine particle and wood smoke research. Some years ago I was surprised to learn that inhaled fine particles can migrate via nose sinus passages directly into the brain shown by research using radioactively labeled particles. The research showed that inhaled particles quickly move into many parts of the human body. The Catholic University, Leuven Belgium, published an image of a full human body scan showing where the radioactively tagged particles were deposited but I could not find this image via the internet. Below is some information from a short article in the medical journal "Circulation" “Passage of Inhaled Particles Into the Blood Circulation in Humans” Circulation 2002 Vol 105 pp 411 Catholic University, Leuven Belgium To assess to what extent and how rapidly inhaled pollutant particles pass into the systemic irculation, we measured, in 5 healthy volunteers, the distribution of radioactivity after the inhalation of radioactive Technegas," an aerosol consisting mainly of ultrafine Technetium-labeled carbon particles (<100nm or <0.1 micron). Radioactivity was detected in blood already at 1 minute, reached a maximum between 10 and 20 minutes, and remained at this level up to 60 minutes. Thin layer chromatography of blood showed that in addition to a species corresponding to oxidized Technetium, ie, pertechnetate, there was also a species corresponding to particle -bound Technetium. Gamma camera images showed substantial radioactivity over the liver and other areas of the body. [Note that Technetium-99m is a metastable nuclear isomer of technetium-99 (itself an isotope of technetium ), symbolized as 99m Tc, that is used in tens of millions of medical diagnostic procedures annually, making it the most commonly used medical radioisotope . Technetium-99m is used as a radioactive tracer and can be detected in the body by medical equipment ( gamma cameras ).] Conclusions: —We conclude that inhaled 99m Tc labeled ultrafine carbon particles pass rapidly into the systemic circulation, and this process could account for the well - established, but poorly understood, extrapulmonary (exterior of the lung) effects of air pollution. In my opinion, inhaled forest fire smoke, campfire smoke, and smoke in general is harmful to human health. There was a tire fire north of Seattle (Cathcart fire) and local governments decided to let the tire fire burn saying they did not want water sprayed on the burning tires to carry pollutants into the Snohomish river. About 6 months later there was an EPA short course on Toxic Air Pollutants at the U of Wash and an EPA expert gave a talk about the toxicity of the tire fire smoke and its effect on the surrounding residents. The EPA expert said the tire fire smoke was not toxic and did not hurt the residents. In the short course audience were Wash Dept of Ecology employees who had measured the toxic concentrations of the tire fire smoke and the employees said the EPA expert's data and conclusions were inaccurate. Another example is the Sept 11 (9 - 11) crash of the jet aircrafts into the New York Trade Center and the EPA said the smoke emitted from the burning trade center was not harmful. This EPA claim of the smoke being non-toxic was soon challenged by a chemistry professor at U of California Davis who went to New York, sampled the smoke, and analyzed the smoke samples at his U of Calif. lab. There are many cases of people exposed to the New York Trade Center fire smoke experiencing harmful health effects, especially fire fighters and law enforcement personnel. To my knowledge, there is no margin of safety in the present US Govt (EPA) ambient air quality standards for particulates. In other words, harmful health effects occur when inhaling particle air pollution at concentrations below the EPA air quality standards. "Association between Particulate Matter and emergency room visits, hospital admissions and mortality in Spokane, Washington"., Journal Exposure Analysis and Enviromental Epidemiology 2005 vol 15(2), 153-159.

uww

uww
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 am 
Mikey wrote:
Some years ago I was surprised to learn that inhaled fine particles can migrate via nose sinus passages directly into the brain shown by research using radioactively labeled particles. The research showed that inhaled particles quickly move into many parts of the human body. The Catholic University, Leuven Belgium, published an image of a full human body scan showing where the radioactively tagged particles were deposited but I could not find this image via the internet. Below is some information from a short article in the medical journal "Circulation" “Passage of Inhaled Particles Into the Blood Circulation in Humans” Circulation 2002 Vol 105 pp 411 Catholic University, Leuven Belgium
Not sure if the image in the study is the one you are referring to, but here is the entire article you posted the abstract of. Doesn't seem to be crossing directly into the brain. Conclusion seems to be that inhaled particles can enter the blood via the lungs. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/circ.105.4.411

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 11:42 am 
The good news is that at least in the greater metro area around Pugetopolis, particulate levels plummeted this morning. AQI at the nearest station to my home is currently 20, down from close to 200 late last night. The windows are open and it is lovely. For indoor air cleaning, we just had our furnace on "circulate" which moves air through the HEPA rated fiber filter that I've installed in the system. With the windows closed, the particulates in the house tend also to fall to the floor w/in hours. It sucked to have indoor temps higher than outdoor the past few nights but it was better than waking up with a runny nose and irritated sinuses and eyes and a raspy chest. I'm sure some of y'all endure the smoke better than some others. Me no like! (I also don't enjoy sitting in campfire smoke, and tend to avoid some car campground in summer though being next to the beach barrier at places like Cape Disappointment seems to be a good strategy for staying out of the worse of the smog).

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 am 
Portland area is still at an Air Quality Index of 167 (unhealthy for everyone) and the air pollution advisory for western Oregon has been extended to 4 pm. No sign of wind around here. Normally Troutdale is a very windy spot! Evidently everything is stagnant here. At least my house has cooled down to 74. Because of my 82-year-old lungs (already damaged by smoke a year ago), I won't go out, even with my N95 mask, until the AQI gets below 100. I hope this does happen this afternoon, because I'm getting low on food!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey