Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snowking road approach conditions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 am 
I am wondering if anyone has recently been up the road #1570 ( at least it is marked that on my old map ) . If so what are the conditions and how far/elevation can one drive on this. Its been a few decades for me on that road. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am 
You have to walk all the way up these days. There are Snowking reports in trip reports that describe the conditions. From the forest service:
Quote:
Road washed out at milepost 1.7, rock barriers, road will not reopen beyond this point. High clearance vehicles required to reach MP 1.7. Snow level and road conditions unknown. Conditions can change quickly due to fluctuating snow levels, wind, and rain.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 11:38 am 
Yes, the road is blocked and washed out about a 1/4 mile past the Cascade River Bridge. 1570 was clear and easy for foot traffic last August. Beyond that point, not so much...

pjhorst

pjhorst
PostTue Aug 21, 2018 11:37 pm 
You can easily park anywhere from the bridge over the Cascade river to about 1/3 mile further. There is very good parking directly before the boulder blocked road. ~3 mile walk up the old road gets you to the road-end and old/original trail-start. That spot is eerily similar to the way it looked 20 years ago. I was up in July 2018 (to Found).

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 7:48 am 
Pjhorst, was the trail easy to follow? It used to be...probably is even easier, being such a popular place?

geyer

geyer
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 10:54 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Pjhorst, was the trail easy to follow? It used to be...probably is even easier, being such a popular place?
I was up the week before him, and the trail is not all that easy to follow. There is a large blowdown in the middle of the area on the way up to the pass. And if you are going down to the lakes, the trail is really only follow-able because there are 700 different colors of flagging leading you there... It's not maintained much, if any

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 4:00 pm 
No it is not maintained at all. The old fire line to the pass was straightforward for us, but the trail faded on the far side of the ridge. The flagging is helpful, but we still lost the trail about 1 mile from Found Lake last summer. Easy to navigate in to the lake from where the trail petered out, but we could not find our way out and had a really, really bad time in the cliffs after four fantastic days romping in the basin. I would urge caution and make sure you can find your way back to the saddle with confidence. And I would not describe it as popular. We were there for 5 days last August and saw no one.

pjhorst

pjhorst
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 5:12 pm 
Guessing the OP is interested in the Kindy Ridge trail, based on the request re: "Snowking". re: Trail. I would say the trail is simple enough to the 2nd/last saddle, where the trail branches - up to the ridge vs down to Found. A few blowdowns, a few flagging's. Take lots of water. It's a leg burner up (and down) The primary confusing spot is the 1st saddle. Geyer noted it in his other post. Basically keep trending South (hikers left). At the trail branch (2nd Saddle), to Found, it's 1 mile to the lake. It's confusing because the trails swings away from the lake while you descend. It's well flagged. Close to the lake (50-75 yards), the trail reverts to berry bushes. re: Popular. I think the ridge and Cyclone have become popular. Agreed with Fireside, Found does not appear to get activity. ~30 years ago, lakeside trails and camp areas were fairly established. Fishing was very good. ~20-25 years ago it was in overuse mode (TP, cooking grates, etc...). Fishing was poor. Went in this year for a day and was surprised at the plant growth around the lake. I agree with Fireside, I don't think it's in popular mode. But, since it was my first backpack as a wimpy 14 year old, it will always be one of my fav's. smile.gif

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 9:19 pm 
Thanks for the info.