Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help identifying a location in Pasayten Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 am 
My photo was taken on the Larch Creek Trail, ascending to the McCall/Timberwolf Divide, looking into the Timberwolf drainage.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:00 am 
The photos must have been taken later in the season; the colors are much more subdued than the vibrant greens in some of those other pictures. Plus there was the snowstorm. I'm not sure how I managed to get plucked out of school for that much time....

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:00 am 
Abert wrote:
My photo was taken on the Larch Creek Trail, ascending to the McCall/Timberwolf Divide, looking into the Timberwolf drainage.
That's a perfect match, thank you!

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 9:08 am 
Thank you so much for the identification! I am guessing that we most likely camped at either Crow lake or Corral (or the small lake adjacent to Corral as I seem to remember the lake being small-ish. I appreciate all the help! It will be great to go back and revisit those places!

Abert

Abert
PostWed Aug 22, 2018 10:17 am 
I just realized that from the shadows in my photo I had to have been facing south. So the photo was taken from the Larch Creek Trail in Timberwolf Basin looking toward the Timberwolf/McCall Divide (with Sand Ridge on the right). I have a photo looking down on Crow Lake taken 50 minutes later so that makes more sense. Trip photos from 2007.

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 6:52 pm 
I wasn't able to make it up to Pasayten this year; my trip dates were early enough that the route in to Corral lake was apparently not cleared from snow or debris. However! I was able to spend some time at Boiling Lake and surrounding areas. This was the first time I had been back to that area since I was about 12 years old. My memories were a bit fuzzy on how it all looked. Thank you all for your help in identifying both Boiling lake and Corral/Larch pass. The trip up to the Pasayten is very much on the list but might have to wait until next year. And in case anyone is interested (I know this is a hiking forum) but the mountain biking to access Boiling lake was great...

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 6:28 pm 
Abert wrote:
[Edit] I see Abert already re-IDed these pics as looking SSE from where the trail crosses a spur coming off the E side of Sand Ridge. [Broke one of my own rules of not reading all the posts before responding.] Here's a view from this year, from the shoulder of Sheep Mtn just above Peeve Pass to show the fire damage from '17 fires.
The fires burned right up to the lake basins, though the basins themselves are still pretty much intact. A lot of scorched earth on the trails up there, especially Drake Cr, Diamond Cr, the upper half of Larch Cr, Peeve Pass and Cr, etc.

Luc

Luc
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 2:41 pm 
I love this thread. Glad you were able to make it this year! I second the Mcall Gulch, Sand Ridge, Whistler, Larch Ck, Corral lake areas. One of my favorite, and most memorable solo trips - staying at all those spots, incl Quartz and Sheep. VERY worthy of a place to rest in peace. Your father had good taste. Great identification work!

GNGSTR
Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostSat Sep 07, 2019 12:08 pm 
Thanks! I look forward to making it up there. Hopefully next summer!

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostSat Sep 07, 2019 12:13 pm 
Ok, since all of you were so helpful with my first photo identification query, I am curious about one more (or maybe two?) lake/lakes. Attached are pics. These photos were lumped in with the original Larch pass Pasayten photos that I first posted. However, so was the one from Boiling lake, so, my initial judgement of where this is might be wrong. Looking at the surrounding landscape though this looks much more Pasayten-esque to me than other Washington wilderness areas that I am familiar with. There are two pics that definitely show the same lake. The third I am not quite so sure. Do these look familiar to anyone? At first I thought Corral but after scouring more photos I don't think that it is. Thanks!

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostSat Sep 07, 2019 3:51 pm 
Actually, these all appear to be the same lake....

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostSat Sep 07, 2019 6:26 pm 
Pretty sure that's Shoe Lk by White Pass.

Anniek
Anne K

Anniek
Anne K
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 2:55 pm 
Oh wow! You look to be correct! Seems like my dad simply labelled all photos 'Pasayten'... Thanks for that identification! Good eye!