Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road trails (or wide trails)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:29 pm 
I'm compiling a list of (closed) roads used as trails, or other wide trails. Like, the Middle Fork CCC trails, or the Tolt Pipeline, or even Horseshoe Basin, which starts out as old road then is trail with lots of room on both sides. Can anyone name more? I don't care if these are only mediocre hikes, or if the wide portion is only for half the hike. My dog is fearful of strangers and likes to have space from them. He was shot in the head as a puppy--the bullet shaved of the top of his top vertebrae, and the back of his head was full of abscessed bullet shrapnel when we adopted him. We've worked a lot on his fear and we can go on regular hikes, but sometimes I just want to relax and not worry about that trail runner that comes around a corner suddenly, or meeting an especially big guy with a large pack on a portion of the trail where it's hard to pass, etc. On a road or wide trail he does great, because no one enters his bubble.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tlake

tlake
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:44 pm 
Bessesser Mt. off the Middle fork of Snoqualmie river.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 2:31 pm 
Here's a book exactly about that. Somewhat dated however https://www.amazon.com/Roads-Trails-Northwest-Washington-Snoqualmie/dp/0898868750

mike

mike
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 pm 
Thorton Lakes/Trapper Pk. First 2½mi is old road. Not much for views on that part and getting grown over, Used to be easy access until the road washed out. Many of the trails on SJIsl are old roads or service roads. Not much use,

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:35 pm 
Monte Cristo town site is 4 miles of road. From the town site you can hike along normal trail to Glacier Basin, Silver Lake/Poodle Dog Pass, or Twin Lakes. Also haven't done this, but road to Goat Flats/Three Fingers trail head is closed at some point, adding I believe about 10 miles each direction.

yorknl

yorknl
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:02 pm 
The other (Mt. Rainier) Glacier Basin trail. First few miles of the Skokomish trail above Staircase. The alternative start (that goes higher on Mutton Mountain) of the Noble Knob trail from Corral Pass, as far as the big bench north of Mutton. John Wayne, Iron Goat, and Crescent Lake northshore trails were (rail)roads.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 pm 
First several miles of the N Fk Skokomish trail. E Fk Quinault between Graves Ck Campground and Pony Bridge. In the ‘70’s it used to be easy to find the large spruce grove stumps. On the S side of trail especially, just at and before high point of that section. Cut to provide spruce for fighter aircraft to fight Kaiser Wilhelm II. N Fk Quinault now that I think about it. Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:30 pm 
Krause Ridge comes to mind. It's a lower elevation trail that is good to go on in the fall and spring if you like to see trees. I've never run into other hikers on that trail either.
Another look at the tree.
Another look at the tree.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:43 pm 
Iron Horse trail. Back approach to Squire Creek.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 pm 
Willapa Hills Trail

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm 
NF 1502 past rattlesnake creek bridge is out by the Nile/Naches area road eventually leads to a few trailheads also such as Meeks table and buck lake areas

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 8:58 pm 
Phelps Creek Trail to Spider Meadow or did it only reach Leroy Creek? (I'm not sure how far it went; one of the historians will chime in.) Given current conditions and rumor blah.gif perhaps it will all be a road-turned-trail from the Chiwawa bottom.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 9:36 pm 
East Tiger from the high point on Hwy 18. Gated logging roads shared with mt bikers. Dogs permitted off leash. Bikers infrequent and polite IME. Great view of Rainier on clear days.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 am 
Thanks for all the great ideas, guys, and MyFootHurts, thanks for the book recommendation! Ordered from Amazon for $2.
Quote:
I assume your dog is aggressive given a situation?
He's never bitten or even snapped, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 am 
There's also the 7-mile long Lewis and Clark Discovery Trail that I mentioned in a recent trip report.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."