Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 3:21 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Malachite lake, West Fork Foss river trail. A little under 4 miles, a little over 2,000 ft of gain, but so worth it.
Also earlier along that trail and a much easier hike (maybe too easy for your specifications), Trout Lake has a nice swimming beach and lots of campsites.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 7:07 am 
mjl wrote:
(Now that there is air) I'm taking my son on an overnight backpack. His only stipulation "there has to be a lake I can swim in" Any suggestions for a (about 8 miles or less) trip with a great lake?I can drive about 3 hours from Seattle... he thanks you...
That's a kid after my own heart. I like the Dorothy recommendation. There's a great sandy beach about halfway up the lake on a peninsula and you can swim out to the little islets in the middle of the lake and lounge on the rocks. Great fun. When I took my son a few years ago we carried a cheap inflatable vinyl floaty so that if he got tired, he would have something to help him rest on. There's good blueberries in the area too. And a stop at the Sultan bakery along the way is a favorite too. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 pm 
The sandwiches are big at the sultan bake!!! Man I thought it was gonna be weak at 7 bucks or whatever but it was big enough for sure!!!! Real soft and nice big puffy bread!!!

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 3:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I like the Watson lakes for swimming and fishing, haven't been to the Anderson lakes yet. I would not really recommend the Cutthroat lakes off the Walt Bailey trail for swimming and fishing, maybe swimming, but the last part of the trail is a brutal climb, (imo) and that area is famous for the multitude of insects. Beautiful place though.
This is exactly what I thought when the Cutthroats were suggested, bugs will make you miserable. North Lake is secluded and has a small area on the south side where you can easily enter the water. How about Goat Lake ?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:10 pm 
North lake would be good swimming as well as Goat lake, although Goat Lake is a MUCH easier hike albeit with many more people.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
mjl

mjl
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 5:26 pm 
Thanks for all the responses! We ended up going to Lake Valhalla (many reasons distance, weather, smoke) a lovely hike but way too cold for swimming) My son still remembers the gigantic breakfast at Sultan bakery from 3 years ago! This site s still the best place for asking questions (even naive ones) & getting recommendations, and I treasure it!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 5:51 pm 
Not sure if you could do the drive in three hours from Seattle, but you might consider Blue Lake a little south of Randle. Trail #274 to lake is only about two-and-a-half miles, but it's quite an ascent (some of it on rock stairways.) There's an interesting wall of columnar basalt just a little ways up from the trailhead. There's a small stretch of beach at the north end of the lake where you can pitch a tent. The lake is at 4500 feet above sea level, so it's cold and deep once you get out in the middle of it. (The water's crystal clear, though - you can see old bleached out trees laying on the bottom.)(Yes, I packed an 18-pound inflatable boat up there so two little boys and I could paddle around on the lake.) Best during mid-week, as the area is popular with the trail bike constituency.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 11:52 pm 
Too late I see, but worth noting that Dorothy is reasonably warm (or "not f-ing cold" anyway), at least by that cove and point near the islets that Slim mentioned above. Like I feel like just staying in the water and swimming around a while temperature. Easy-in/easy-out there (good shore diving and simple rock "scramble" to get out, with a muddy bottom entry/exit around the corner in the cove by the beach camp).

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 5:33 am 
I was into Fortune ponds a while back and talked to a guy and his gal at the upper pond. He said on his research to find swimming attractive lakes the upper lake was listed. Not sure where he found this statement at but it seems to me there are a lot better choices.