Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dose Meadows over many passes, NE Olympics Loop, 8/17-21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 4:36 pm 
A group of 6 Mtnrs did a backpack trip led by my ski buddy, Dick Lambe. This was my 2nd ever overnighter in the Olympics. It was a 5 day trip with two clear days and smoky ones. We hiked the loop clockwise from Deer Park down to Three Forks, along Gray Wolf River, over Gray Wolf Pass, down along Dosewallips River to Dose Meadows where we spent 2nd/3rd nights. We wandered up into Thousand Acre Meadows for millions of blueberries, then up to Haydon Pass for smoky views. Two of us visited Mt Fromme for more views, almost above the smoky layer. We then spent a day over Lost Pass, Cameron Pass, Grand Pass down to Moose Lake for the 4th night, then returned via Obstruction Point/Grand Ridge back to our cars. The trip was kind of eye-opening for me, it wasn't just wet green jungles but a wonderful mix of high alpine, open basin, dense forest, etc. The smoke was unfortunate, but a good reason to go back. Along Gray Wolf River:
Many log bridges:
Toward Gray Wolf Pass:
Our first Pass:
Post flower season:
Along Dosewallip River:
Dose Meadows camp:
Clear night for stars:
Morning hike:
Thousand Acre Meadows:
Toward Haydon Pass:
West side of Haydon Pass is recovering from an extensive fire last year:
Views from Mt Fromme:
Our 4th day was over three passes. Lost Pass, Cameron Pass:
Grand Pass:
Finally Moose Lake:
No moose, but deer around the lake:
Smoky last day back to Deer Park:
A bit late, but this jump-started my backpack season! I'll definitely plan a trip to Olympics for each Summer from now on. A lot more pics here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 9:40 pm 
Many great photos of nicely varied subjects, but this in particular I found striking:
Maybe it's that you found beauty in the smoke which mostly detracts from scenes that we would consider "better" if they were pristine?

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
contour5

contour5
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 10:08 pm 
The smoke can make for some interesting images. Very nice work, as usual, Kenji.

Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 pm 
Wow, yes--that photo is absolutely incredible!

Kenji

Kenji
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 11:50 am 
Hesman wrote:
What type of filters do you use on your camera?
I never use filters, but rely mostly on post processing using Lightroom and Nix apps. When very hazy, BW seems most effective:
default setting
default setting
by Silver Efex
by Silver Efex
Switching between a wide zoom (10-24mm) and a mid zoom (18-135mm) is all I can manage while hiking.

Brian R

Brian R
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 7:54 pm 
Do you use a full-frame--or APS-C setup? (After seeing these beautiful photos, I'm thinking I need to upgrade!)

Kenji

Kenji
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Do you use a full-frame--or APS-C setup?
I've been using APS-c, currently Fuji X-T1 for the past 4 years. Full frame models are getting smaller (actually body sizes are about the same now) and can do better in high iso, DR, etc. However FF lenses are bigger and heavier and I can't quite imagine taking any bigger lenses than ones I currently take for hikes/skiing. I guess one option may be to take a high res FF camera with a smaller lens and either crop the images for zooming-in or panorama-stitch for zooming-out. Anyway, this topic may be a can of worms and better discussed in a photo thread wink.gif