Forum Index > Trip Reports > Collar Mountain 5,851 8/25/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 11:42 pm 
I set my alarm for 4:30 but actually got up 4 hours later. Got the last parking spot and left the car around 10. Overcast but perfect hiking temps. Didn't see many people until just before the Katwalk. Visited Gravel and Ridge Lakes before ascending Collar. Fun boulder field and steep heather. Up top before I knew it. No view but the wind and Pika's kept me entertained while reading the summit register.
16 miles 3,131ft gain 8 hours car to car. On the way back to the TH had nice conversation with two guys with long hair and grizzly beards who weren't through hikers... One guy had thruhiked last year while the other just moved into the area. All day I was trying to figure out who might be a thruhiker..... It's that time of year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 6:05 am 
Who came up with collar I wonder? I'm missing the pun.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
RichP

RichP
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 am 
Very few visits for a peak right off the PCT. I guess people are booking right by it too fast to notice.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 12:25 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Who came up with collar I wonder? I'm missing the pun.
Duh, guess I should have opened the pic of the register so I could read it! Disregard

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 7:13 pm 
Nice! Collar is a fun little trip. Views not too bad on a nice day either. I walked right past it a few times.
c1
c1
c2
c2

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:22 pm 
Someone added "I don't think so" to my register comment about the origin of the name. Besides confirming with John, this is where I got that
Quote:
Just west of Ridge Lake, Ian and I took a detour after lunch to the top of Peak 5851. Even though this has prominence of 451', it’s a pathetic addition to the Master List of WA peaks. In the planning stages of our trip, "Kitti-King Mtn" was considered as a name, since these county names are on the USGS map at this spot (and it’s next to the Katwalk). Then, as we viewed it from the trail in, we called it "Bushyhead," since it appears as a wood-tufted blob. But from the top of Thomson, this summit looks to wear a talus collar around its unshaven head, so "Collar Mountain" became the last thought. Mount Price actually splays out nicely from here.