Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Striped Peak Trail (Olympic DNR) timber sale
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 2:29 am 
The Striped Peak Trail begins at Clallam County's Salt Creek Recreation Area on Camp Hayden Road, off State Route 112 12 miles west of Port Angeles. At about 2-1/2 miles, it climbs to a scenic viewpoint (former parking area) overlooking the Strait and Vancouver Island. The Striped Tie timber sale was put out for bid this spring. (Timber notice of sale with maps. Request for quotes with parcel maps and cruise report. Bids accepted July 31, 2018.) Harvest operations are to be completed by April 30, 2019. The trail is expected to remain open during harvest. Harvest operations will not touch the trail corridor or any of the old growth on the north face of Striped Peak, only previously logged areas primarily south and east of the peak. However, hikers should be aware that one harvest unit (unit 4) is only 200 feet east of the trail switchbacks climbing to the viewpoint, and should avoid leaving the trail in this area during active logging operations. Beyond the viewpoint, hikers may walk roads south to the former Striped Peak Lookout site or west to the Striped Peak summit. Note these roads will be closed this winter 2018-19 due to log haul operations. "While conducting harvesting and/or hauling operations the Contractor shall install two 'Warning/No Entry' signs on the Striped Peak Trail near the junction of the PA-I-3030 road." "At the completion of logging operations at the junction of the Striped Peak Trail and the PA-I-3030, Contractor shall repair any damage to and clean out all logging debris from recreational trail(s)." "Timber haul is restricted on the PA-I-3000 road toward the east to Freshwater Bay road." not to Camp Hayden Road.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 7:27 am 
Thanks Rod. We often stretch our legs there in winter when it's easy to snag very empty beach- front camping.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:15 am 
I glamped there in late September and the campground was pretty empty. I did not go on long hikes as it was the Pre-Hoka time and my feet were not doing well.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities