Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Christine/ Beljica
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 8:48 am 
After a failed attempt to get to Beljica in the snow, I returned for a second attempt on my way to a WTA work party at Rainier. I bumped up to the trailhead after being sprayed with gravel by a dune buggy at the beginning of road 59. I waited about 10 minutes for the dust to settle and the idiots to get further away. The road and the trailhead signs are long gone so if you go here, a map is necessary. Hiked up the trail a ways noting that Americorp has relocated the initial trail and while still steep and slick in places, it is much improved. Quickly got up to Lake Christine
and munched a few blueberries that are somewhat past their peak here. Stayed on the trail and took the left at an obvious junction to go up to Beljica. Beljica was a 'surveillance spot' and never had a lookout building. It is named for the Mesler family in 1897. Their names were: Burgon, Elizebeth, Isabel, Clara and Alex. Also, their friends Lucy and Jessey were there giving the summit the initials of all. The trail is crummy in lots of places with erosion taking its toll, but it's not a long trail and the rewards are sweet. I had a very nice day without smoke and was able to see Rainier ( of course) with less ice and snow than I've ever seen before. Also, Adams
Saint Helens
gobblers knob ( telephoto)
High Rock and many other landmarks. There is a benchmark on the summit.
It's a nice hike especially on a week day. I ran into the Americorps crew on my way down and was surprised to see Junior in charge of the crew. I had met him previously on Lake Chelan. Beljica and Lake Christine are a nice hike with a great viewpoint and are worthy of your time if you are near the Southwest side of Rainier. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 4:40 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message