Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > BCHA: Check Out What True Horsepower Can Do!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 am 
This is an article from a few years back about a project along the PCT in Washington. I noticed two fellas mentioned in it whom I have worked with on WTA projects here on the Olympic Peninsula. I know this, those guys give of themselves and are true gentlemen. If you ever get a chance to work with BCHA, do it. I think you will gain an appreciation for another group of backcountry recreationists that may open up a new perspective of cooperation between different groups to help maintain our trails. Anyway, here is a blip from the article along with the link. "Constructing the bridge took planning and expertise. Tom Mix and Del Sage of the Peninsula Chapter of BCHW headed up the rigging crew, who set up skyline rigging to place the bridge headers on the banks and the stringers across the river. The stringers for the 45-foot bridge span were cut from nearby spruce trees; 34-inch diameter logs that were peeled before being set in place. The Earth Corps workforce placed the decking and built the approaches to the bridge. After completion of the project, Back Country Horsemen of Washington’s horses and mules hauled another 20 pack loads of tools and cargo back to the trailhead." Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 2:05 pm 
I worked a couple days with them above Walupt Lake. They certainly have the experience and the two I was with had a good sense of humor too. You can learn a lot from them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RodF

RodF
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 4:00 pm 
Tom and Del (BCHW) are indeed a joy and privilege to work with. In partnership with PNTA Quilcene Ranger Corps, WTA, Gray Wolf Trail Crew and USFS, just completed Gold Creek footlog. PNTA story and photos. WTA photos with step-by-step captions. Replacement of stock footbridge (failing stringers, decking and railings - all except sills) on Slab Camp Trail just above Duncan Flats is planned this fall. Upper South Fork Skokomish Trail replacement bridge over Rule Creek and Lower Crossing footlog are planned next summer, and then Upper Crossing footlog perhaps the following summer. (Getting USFS to approve these projects has taken years of effort.)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:13 am 
A former neighbor of mine lamented that there weren't many folks still alive who knew how to put up a log stringer bridge--with or without mechanized equipment. Sounds like another old skill that will become very rare.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:44 pm 
I have been actively involved in putting up two single stringer bridges and one double stringer bridge bridge. We used cable pullers to move the logs into place. You have to have both ends of the log attached to separate cables and it all needs to be coordinated fairly well. It is a lot of work if you are strictly using hand tools in a designated wilderness. Also on the projects I worked on we did not have pack animals. It was a huge task just getting all the tools in and out of the job sites. Del Sage and Tom Mix are two SUPER nice and SUPER knowledgeable people. They know their business well. I know other packers that are very good as well, but I have personally not worked with them. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."