Forum Index > Trail Talk > I need some skiing advice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:17 am 
That doesn't make sense. Ski weight is not a material factor. If anything, a heavier ski should be a bit easier to turn, although the difference with these skis would be negligible. A boot/binding that is capable of controlling a properly cambered RCR-class ski is necessarily stout enough to control a Glittertind (which is a much turnier ski). Based on your description (and prior notes re your RCR vs. Superlite comparo) the only plausible explanation is that your RCRs are much softer than a performance ski properly matched for your weight. I know you don't want to hear that because you're invested in the RCRs. I'll put it another way: The chances of a guy your size buying properly cambered performance-class XC classic skis are around 1 in 100. I know because I've been living with that reality for 40+ years. I would be glad to look at them if when you're over this way. A stiffer boot/binding system may well help you control your Glittertinds, but that won't change the apparently reality that your RCRs are way softer than ideal for in-track performance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:38 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
BTW: If you are thinking of going with "plastic boot" level of gear, the WAC and Mountaineers Wednesday Night ski series is a good way to get 6 two hour lessons for a decent price. The slopes are much less crowded than on weekends.
I'd really like to avoid plastic boots if it's all possible.
You might want to consider some skate cross country boots. The amount of support and control of these type of boots offer recent years is impressive, and they are quite light. You can't rock diagonal stride to the same degree as with a "classic" boot -- but I think the ankle rotation actually better than on many of the "heavy duty" "Backcountry Touring" boots (e.g. Alpina Alaska), but skate boots typically weight about half. The "BC" versions of the bindings are wider and built stronger -- but I think "skate" type bindings are built to handle the torque of hard skating are sturdy enough.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
You might want to consider some skate cross country boots.
I suggest that in my first post. I often use citizen race skate boots (Salmon Pilot system) on my XC FS road skis.
RandyHiker wrote:
You can't rock diagonal stride to the same degree as with a "classic" boot
True, but IME it's a non-issue on FS roads.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 pm 
Just need to hang with these skiers for a season or two:
more:
Sorry, not really a contribution, but it is an example of what practice can do for a skier! I can do a little of this stuff, but my knees complain about the landings now. These guys are real good.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 pm 
Kinda makes me glad that my skiiing and telemarking days are behind me given that this activity has been overtaken by so many options.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 am 
Joey wrote:
Kinda makes me glad that my skiing and telemarking days are behind me given that this activity has been overtaken by so many options.
Ha, I'm glad I've got many years of ski touring ahead of me. Technological advances make ski touring easier than ever today. All of my telemarking buds and I switched to alpine touring (AT) gear in the past 15 years, some earlier than others. Lightweight AT boots and bindings are much lighter than the lightest tele boots. The most "tourable" AT boots walk and scramble better than duckbill boots. Skis are much lighter too. Rocker tips and modern shapes make skiing far easier in difficult snow. Fat fishscales are a great option for many tours. It's a great time to be an aging ski tourist. The only drawback: The popularity of the sport creates crowds in places, although we never have a problem finding solitude if we want it. I met some of my closest ski touring buds via NWHikers.

rossb

rossb
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 2:11 pm 
Skiing is somewhat similar to biking. You can get a fat bike and ride it on the Burke Gilman. You can get a street bike and take on a bumpy gravel road. But in both cases it would be silly. Likewise, getting a big mountain bike frame and putting smooth tires is fine (but less than ideal) but doing the opposite won't really help. So, basically, you want to match your gear with the terrain as well as your ability. You also want to match your boots and bindings with your skis. Plastic boots (like those used for A. T. and Telemark) give you a lot of control. Cross country ski boots are the opposite, while so called B. C. boots are in the middle (but much closer to cross country ski boots in terms of control). Putting A. T. gear on straight relatively straight skis is just fine (it is, after all, more or less what guys like Jean Claude Killy used back in the day). On the other hand, you don't want to do the opposite. If you use cross country boots with a big, fat ski, then you will not be able to control them. The skis will flop around, and be way too heavy -- and have way too much sidecut to control. Like a lot of enthusiasts, I have a range of gear. I use very skinny skis on groomed tracks. These skis have basically no sidecut, and I use my cross country boots with them (of course). My bread and butter, though, is a pair of skis with sidecut of 68-58-64. These do turn a bit when I put them on edge. On the other hand, they have no trouble going straight, and are very light, so I can handle them just fine with cross country boots. I ski logging roads and groomed areas with them. I also have plastic boots with big, fat skis. Not the fattest out there -- but Viole waxless skis. These are nothing like some really fat skis you see (some would hesitate to call them fat) but way fatter than skis only a generation ago. Relatively fat skis are great for the Northwest. One of the misconceptions is that they are only great with powder. But really, they are better than skinnier skis whenever you have a lot of snow. Rarely do you want skinnier skis, but it does happen (with packed conditions). But even then, a fat ski is just fine, it is just that a skinny sky would be a little bit better. I am a big proponent of waxless skis for backcountry travel in the Northwest. It is very common to have a route that involves some steep up, some flat, some gradual up and so on. You want the control of skis with plastic boots (for the downhill), you also want skins (for the steep up) but waxless are great for the moderate terrain. You avoid having to take the skins on and off during the day, and for flat areas, they are great. You just go faster. The middle ground is a bit trickier. Like a cross bike, if you have each end covered, it is hard to say when you will use them. Some would say that Kendall, for example, is perfect for BC boots and something like Atomic Rainiers. Maybe, but I would rather ski the road with cross country skis (they are just a lot more comfortable) and if I was planning on skiing a steep line I would rather have plastic boots (A. T. or Telemark). A lot depends on the conditions and your ability. In general I would say that a big part of cross country skiing -- why some have great days and others fall down a lot -- is in reading the conditions, and knowing your capability. If it is icy, I wouldn't ski Kendall (I would stick to Amabalis, as it is often groomed). But when the snow is good, it is just fine. But I have been doing this a lot, and you may find you want the extra control of a BC rig, without the extra cost (and bulk) of big skis and plastic boots. But I think most people who use BC skis on something like Kendall (or Amabalis, for that matter) are doing so because it is on one of end of their particular spectrum. So someone who has an A. T. or Telemark rig might also have a BC setup for that, while someone who is mostly a cross country skier might have a BC setup as well. I guess my point is that I would be hesitant to get BC gear unless you find that you need it. Side note: The terminology for skiing is terrible. Most people do not use BC boots for backcountry. Alpine Touring is an OK term, but "touring" is often seen as involving something less steep (the standard route up to Artist Point is a nice tour, Blueberry chutes would be considered a run). Telemark gear does not require you know how to telemark (and in many ways, being able to telemark is way more important with cross country ski gear). So hopefully I didn't slip up, and use the wrong terms.

DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 3:38 pm 
My advice is take Avy 1. Gear is purpose dependent and you will need to shop around a lot. Get out and demo gear at one of the ski areas. They have these demo events frequently. Just ping a few areas and stores.

"May you live in interesting times"
rossb

rossb
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:08 pm 
DadFly wrote:
My advice is take Avy 1.
Yeah, but I would also say that reading the books is critical. If you read the Mountaineers guide books on cross country skiing (which do cover backcountry areas, albeit sparingly) you will get some key information. In there you will read about areas that are more dangerous than others. By all means, you should never assume they have it right -- if a place looks dangerous, and they suggest it isn't, you should still turn back. Things change, and the books aren't always up to date. But some areas are simply more dangerous than others; by reading the books, you avoid heading back to the car, and more importantly, don't put yourself in the position where you wonder if you should just keep going, or head back. For example, Commonwealth Basin is dangerous as fu**, but lots and lots of people head out there after a big storm, while anyone who has read any of the books would not. The books aren't expensive. They are a good read. No, scratch that -- they are a great read. We are really lucky to have such great writers and such a great publication company right here in town. Spend a few bucks and buy the books. You won't be sorry.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:24 pm 
rossb wrote:
Some would say that Kendall, for example, is perfect for BC boots and something like Atomic Rainiers.
FTR, Ross is talking about Kendall Lakes Road, not the Kendall Bowls. The latter a popular ski tour which requires telemark or AT gear and advanced skiing skills.
rossb wrote:
Alpine Touring is an OK term, but "touring" is often seen as involving something less steep (the standard route up to Artist Point is a nice tour, Blueberry chutes would be considered a run).
I gotta push back on this. For decades, "ski touring" has been a term of art to describe skiing under one's own power on (or, more often, in) ungroomed snow. The Birthday Tour and Folklife Tour, both backcountry tours which require advanced skiing skills, got their names years ago. IMO, "BC boot" or "BC setup" are confusing terms. I know you are referring to NNN-BC norm boots/bindings, but some might think "BC boots or "BC bindings" are the best gear for backcountry skiing, which they are certainly not, at least in PNW mountains. A less confusing term is "XCD," an abbreviation of "cross country downhill," a term that has been around for decades, got dropped for awhile and recently readopted.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 6:18 pm 
FWIW: If $$$ isn't a big issue "rando race" boots and bindings may be mounted on "nordic" type skis with at least a 55mm waist. All plastic "rando race" boots weigh in at under a kilogram and bindings are as light or lighter than 3Pin "telemark" bindings. These diagonal stride on the flats almost as well as "classic" nordic boots (and better that "backcountry" boots) Control on the downhill is excellent-- even without locking down the heel. Boots and bindings of this category run about $1500 for a setup, which is extravagant. Using Binding Freedom inserts allows the bindings and boots to be used on a quiver of skis. My quiver has three skis for my Scarpa Alien boots and Ski Trab race bindings. 55mm waist, 80mm waist and 93mm waist. The 55m waisted skis are very light and fast on "logging road" type outings, while still allowing me some fun "cutting switchbacks". The 80mm skis are my spring/summer setup for skiing on mostly consolidated snow. The 93mm waist skis are my winter/powder snow setup for GORP powered skiing. On packed/firm snow the softness of the Aliens requires excessive muscle input to hold an edge, so for lift assisted skiing I have a different setup with very stiff (and heavy) boots. YMMV and yes it is objectively nuts to spend as much on ski gear as I have.

rossb

rossb
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
IMO, "BC boot" or "BC setup" are confusing terms. I know you are referring to NNN-BC norm boots/bindings, but some might think "BC boots or "BC bindings" are the best gear for backcountry skiing, which they are certainly not, at least in PNW mountains.
Exactly. If you go into a shop and ask for BC boots, they will give you boots that really aren't the best for backcountry. OK, for some backcountry tours they are fine, but for a steep hillside, they just aren't. You want plastic boots (i. e. A. T. or Telemark) for most backcountry trips.