Forum Index > Trip Reports > 60th Anniversary - 08/19 - 08/24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 27, 2018 11:17 pm 
60th Anniversary - 08/19 - 08/24 USGS 12040500 08/19/18 @ 05:30 PDT - 507 CFS Central Park 08/19/18 @ 08:30 PDT 57° F Amanda Park 08/19/18 @ 09:50 PDT 59° F Nine vehicles at trailhead at 11:00 AM, one of which belonged to a young man who was packing up and leaving. Spoke briefly with a young couple who staying in the campground and were just beginning a walk around the Sams Loop Trail. They said that most of the people who had been staying in the campground left earlier that morning. Met a trio about a half a mile in who were coming out from an overnight at Spruce Bottom. One of them had a number of questions like "Why are there no signs here?" I referred him to Park headquarters up at Port Angeles for an answer on that one, and spent a lot of time answering quite a few others. Met a group of four dayhikers coming out at a dry Coal Creek while I was shaking the sand out of my socks. One of them was carrying a rock the size of a football in his hands. The weather was nice and sunny, and the sky was relatively clear of smoke when I got to the big maple on the bank at about mile 3.0 and had a little snack.
Queets River (mile 3.0) 081918 01
Queets River (mile 3.0) 081918 01
Queets River (mile 3.0) 081918 02
Queets River (mile 3.0) 081918 02
The new bypass Ernie cut last year at about mile 3.5 is well established and easily walked. He just cut out all the blowdowns out to about mile 8.5, and it's all clear except for a punky spruce that fell down across the trail at (approx.) mile 4.7 - 4.8, but I believe it will be taken care of shortly. It's easily climbed over with a pack, but it will be a barrier for pack stock until it's cut out. He cut a new short little bypass just above Spruce Bottom at (approx.) mile 5.2 - 5.3 that addressed a devil of a little vertical slope of clay about 6 feet high. Weather was still sunny and clear and warm when I set up camp and fixed up some capellini with fresh homemade pesto and a few other goodies for supper.
Queets River 081918 01
Queets River 081918 01
There was just a tiny bit of haze when the last light hit Pelton. By the time it was dark most of the stars were obscured by the haze and I went to bed fairly early.
Queets River 081918 02
Queets River 081918 02
Queets River 081918 03
Queets River 081918 03
Monday morning it was warm but hazy - the sun an orange ball behind the trees across the river when I had my usual breakfast.
It cleared up a bit and was warm enough all day for lots of diving into the Queets.
Queets River 082018 02
Queets River 082018 02
Queets River 082018 01
Queets River 082018 01
After some nice torellini with salmon and sun-dried tomatoes I went to bed.
The next few days were warm but the smoky haze eliminated any possibility of views or stargazing, leaving not much else to do but lots of diving into the Queets, watching the river go by, and eating all the groceries.
BK Queets 082018 01
BK Queets 082018 01
BK Queets 082018 02
BK Queets 082018 02
Queets River 082118 01
Queets River 082118 01
Friday I went down and said hello to Birdie, then across the street and waited in line for a gigantic latte with a dozen other tourists who were buying overpriced wine, chips, and firewood. I checked out the fun-house Spruce Burl Trail and then took a nap down at Beach #1, and then had a little snack at Ashenbrenner before the long drive home.
Kalaloch Beach 1 082418 02
Kalaloch Beach 1 082418 02
Kalaloch Beach 1 082418 01
Kalaloch Beach 1 082418 01
I have it on good authority that the section of trail between Harlow Bottom and Paradise should be cleared out in a few weeks, which should make travel farther upstream easier. I also just received a report from an old acquaintance who walked up to Kilkelly last week and reports that what remains of "trail" above Harlow is sketchy at best, and through the burn area somewhat impassible; the stretch from just below Bob up to Pelton more easily negotiated out on the gravel bars.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tinman

tinman
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:05 pm 
Ski, always look forward to your yearly Queets report. And 60 years is just flat amazing!

Wherever you go, there you are.......
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 6:15 pm 
60 years is amazing! By your healthy appearance and that healthy tasty looking food, I look forward to many more....

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 8:36 pm 
Ski wrote:
BK Queets 082018 01
BK Queets 082018 01
Nice shoes. wink.gif up.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 pm 
thanks tinman and cascadetraverser
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Nice shoes
Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure first road test review

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
meck

meck
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 pm 
Hi Ski, I was looking forward to your report from the Queets this year, sounds like quite a pleasant adventure and great time to be out there! (I am always envious of your meal selections) Visiting the burned area was a pretty neat adventure last year, though the sticker brush vines were taking over the remnants of the trail that I was able to find; its good to know that the upper end of that trail is getting some TLC.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 pm 
meck wrote:
"...its good to know that the upper end of that trail is getting some TLC."
To be clear: the current plan calls for clearing out the trail between Harlow Bottom up to Paradise Creek. Logistics, weather, and other factors may impede progress being made up to that point. Another point which should be mentioned is that there are not too many who actually know where the upper end of the trail is/was located, particularly once one gets up to the vicinity of Bob Creek.
the aforementioned acquaintance who walked up to Kilkelly last week, in an email wrote:
Burn zone itself now is a mess of rubus vines, down limbs, etc., and not worth trying to travel through. Took me about 2 hours to get to mouth of Alta creek from above mentioned maple glade above Bob, going in a mix of gravel bars, fording, and un-burnt alder flats.
It's been some time since I ventured up beyond Bob Creek. I'd have to go pick through my notes, but I'm sure it was before the fire in 2015. There's a point at which the trail ascends a couple hundred feet up along the side of the ridge (to avoid a marshy area on the north bank) and then zig-zags back down to the river, which was fairly confusing for a lot of people prior to the fire event. I would imagine that it's worse now, although Gary Patton sent me photos a couple years ago showing that he'd managed to negotiate his way up there without too much difficulty. (Bear in mind, of course, that he's been going up there almost as long as I have.) In a phone conversation a couple years ago, Ernie told me he didn't have any trouble finding the site of the now gone Pelton Creek shelter. But again, as with Gary, he's well-acquainted with the trail. As the fire ultimately took out a good portion of the trail even below Bob Creek, I would posit erring on the side of caution might be the better choice if one were thinking about venturing up there right now. A more prudent choice might be to wait and see what Ernie and his crew are able to do once they get up there, which is my intention at the moment. I'm waiting for a good weather window and hoping to see if I can coordinate with my old friend mentioned above, who missed me up there by a mere three hours last week.
Paradise Fire Burned Area Perimeter - NPS 2017
Paradise Fire Burned Area Perimeter - NPS 2017

gmphiker

gmphiker
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 pm 
Looks like you had a great time Ski! I was up with my cousin and his nine year old son (first trip up the Queets) Aug 27th - 31st. Had a fabulous trip. Great weather except for one off and on rainy day, and very minimal smoke. We only went as far a Tshletshy but had a great time taking short hikes up and down the river from there. We even hiked up Tshletshy about a mile, which I hadn't done in years The condition of the trail is better than it's been in many years. Many thanks to Ernie! Thanks for the email link to your post! Gary.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 8:13 pm 
Looks like a great time, Ski! Great looking grub, too! So... What's the anniversary!? I didn't catch that.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:56 pm 
first hike up the Queets was 60 years ago. wink.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am 
I thought so, but wanted to be sure! And....damn you're old! tongue.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert