Forum Index > Trail Talk > Reasons to Sleep in a Tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:29 am 
My spouse slept in a tent for a year and in some ways it was the best year of her life. This was here in the PNW on the Olympic Peninsula. She basically went through two tents during that time. This guys sleeps in a tent and suggests three reasons why it is good for him. Something you think you could do? Let me know your thoughts.
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:23 pm 
Wait. Sleeping in a tent in a parking lot next to a shipping container is stoic and helps one connect to nature? Who knew? ETA: After my first trans-US bicycle trip, I did not sleep in a bed for a full year. Many of those nights were in a tent. I cannot say the experience changed my life in any profound way.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 pm 
My spouse slept outside in a tent for a year (the year before we got together) and she admits it was one of the best experiences of her life. Of course this was here on the Olympic Peninsula so the weather was moderate with no extreme hot or cold times. But she weathered plenty of storms and moderately cold temps with snow. She never got sick during that year either. A family of quail nested near her tent as well. She could hear the coyotes play and sing. We live in the city now, but for the three years we were in rural areas, we slept outside in a tent many times, including the winter. It was always good. If we could, we would build a home with a bedroom that opened up to the outside. Of course we would have a screen to shield away the mosquitoes. That's our dream home which we probably will never build. So we might have to fix up a tent like that guy instead. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:45 pm 
I'm in full agreement that you have a better night sleep outside regardless of the weather. Currently looking for a retirement home for the wife and I. One of the requirements is the ability to screen in the porch off a bedroom. The other option is a tent platform a la glamping style. Somewhere where I can hear cricket's.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:50 pm 
Waterman wrote:
One of the requirements is the ability to screen in the porch off a bedroom.
It's on the list of projects for next spring. The porch off our master bedroom is perfectly set up for it.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 pm 
You really gotta use earplugs though because the tent flapping in the wind always wakes you up. Also a good pad!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 6:50 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
You really gotta use earplugs though because the tent flapping in the wind always wakes you up.
I have always found it easy to sleep through all that noise. My wife uses ear plugs. I guess everyone has their own threshold for that sort of thing.
BigBrunyon wrote:
Also a good pad!
When my wife spent that year in a tent she used two old self inflating Thermarests and a quilt. Rumi

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:10 pm 
A very interesting topic. My wife got me a Garmin 35 watch for my birthday back in June. Since then, I’ve looked at the various metrics it tracks. When I backpack and sleep outside, I average 9 hours of sleep and around 5.5 hours of deep sleep, according to the watch. At home, I average about 7.5 hours of sleep and 2.5 hours of deep sleep. I told my wife I was going to sleep outside more.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 pm 
xrp wrote:
When I backpack and sleep outside, I average 9 hours of sleep and around 5.5 hours of deep sleep, according to the watch. At home, I average about 7.5 hours of sleep and 2.5 hours of deep sleep. I told my wife I was going to sleep outside more.
Okay, but are you getting more sleep and better sleep because you are sleeping outside or is it because you are so dead tired because you have been backpacking all day?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:37 pm 
GrnXnham wrote:
Okay, but are you getting more sleep and better sleep because you are sleeping outside or is it because you are so dead tired because you have been backpacking all day?
I can't speak to others experience, but I get better sleep outside regardless of whether I have been backpacking or not. I don't have any device recording any of data from my body to back that up, it is just my subjective experience. Because of my experience when I saw that video I posted I was intrigued and watched it. I also think that the subject relates to why we like to get out into the wilderness. YMMV Rumi

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:41 pm 
Homeless thread hijack removed.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 pm 
Tom wrote:
Homeless thread hijack removed.
of course. Homeless people do not belong in this conversation.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:51 pm 
There are other threads to discuss homelessness.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:09 pm 
Waterman wrote:
One of the requirements is the ability to screen in the porch off a bedroom. The other option is a tent platform a la glamping style.
Ditto. The wind in the trees. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:22 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I have always found it easy to sleep through all that noise. My wife uses ear plugs. I guess everyone has their own threshold for that sort of thing.
Lucky! I was getting used to doing hard pushes big days heavy pack on no sleep!!! It sucked! Kept jolting awake while drifting to sleep cause those damn tent flaps made me think a bear or maybe a large cat or even a wolf these days was coming in close! But with the plugs the bears go away and I can sleep!