Forum Index > Gear Talk > Now I want a new tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:57 pm 
I have the Regular (i.e. Sil-Nylon) Stratospire 2 with solid fabric liner (has mesh areas, but mostly solid fabric) Love it! Light, roomy, sturdy, large vestibules. Been in all night pouring rain, not a drop got inside. Slight learning curve in terms of learning to pitch it quickly, but well worth the effort. It is a solid tent, the most tent for the weight I know of. True 52 inch wide inside..finally some room... The new one, using DCF, looks enticing.......it looks to be a little narrower (45" wide instead of 52"), and possibly not as much headroom, but very very light. The DCF doesn't wet-out and sag like Sil-Nylon..that would be a plus. I expect this will be a very successful product for Henry Shire/Tarptent. Good stuff!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 am 
We just got back from Carne Basin up the Chiwawa/Phelps Creek area. Since there was a chance of bad weather Steve and I took our Big Agnes Slater tents with solid inner fabric (my 1+ was 4 lbs and his 2+ was 5 lbs.). Wildernessed took his 18 oz. Zpacks Cuben Altaplex. We all had them pitched tight, both BA Slaters even had elastic tighteners on the guy lines. It didn't storm that night but it was very humid with lots of moisture in the air and very little wind. In the morning we were all dry inside but the sil-nylon tents were sagging sadly and had gained about a pound of water weight. Wildernessed just gave his tent a shake and packed it up basically dry and still 18 oz. When I got home and unpacked my slater there was still water running out of it.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 4:03 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
the sil-nylon tents were sagging sadly and had gained about a pound of water weight.
I guess not all sil-nylon is created equal BSI Supersil My Big Sky Chinook is sil-nylon and after 4 seasons of usage I have yet to have any issues with sagging or soaking up moisture or misting.
The above picture was taking after it rained really hard all night long and after a couple of days of steady rain. I was able to shake the water off the tent and pack it away, it did not sponge up any extra water. 2016 I have been pummeled with rain and wind in this tent and also have spent several nights in warm humid conditions. No condensation issues at all, even with two people holed up for 24 hours during a rain storm in the Olympics.
This is after another night of extreme wind and rain at the top of Grand Pass. I was scared I was going to get blown off the mountain but the tent held fast. That storm came in like the tide, with huge rogue waves of wind that I could hear coming in the distance. Strong gust, strong gust, massive blast that shook the whole tent like the jolly green giant grabbed it and shook it. repeat all night long. It was all night pouring, but not a drop on me. That was day one of a week long trip. The tent was not any wetter than any other tent I've used and certainly no "misting" even in pounding sideways rain. I learned a lot about my tent that night. 2017 Here is one in summer mode, no 3rd pole and freestanding. From this year.
I am totally satisfied with this tent, I'd like to buy a second one. My #1 quality in a tent is: a bombproof tent, and at <4lbs its not heavy at all. W/O the 3rd pole and with just 2 stakes its downright light for a 2P.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
pula58

pula58
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 10:57 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
It was all night pouring, but not a drop on me.
Coldrain ......and snow? .....not a drop on me.. Hm...I am noticing a musical theme...Try to read between the lines ;-) But seriously, I had considered the Big SKy Chinook or Revolution 2P. But, I did not want an all-mesh inner, and their other inner has too little ventilation (fabric liner has a tiny mesh opening). Otherwise, cool tent, and nice yellow (cheery) color!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 28, 2018 3:41 pm 
I picked up a Vango (via Amazon) this year. I prefer tunnel style tents because you can rig them crazy tight, and this one has the integral fly like my old Omnipotent, the main attraction for me...love that design. I love it, they have a lot of nice gear at Vango, good variety. https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/6-tents My sole gripe is they're pretty skimpy on the pole sleeve diameter, which makes getting the poles in and out more of chore than it should be. Larger sleeves or clips would have been better.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers