Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Suiattle bridge funding for Milk creek access -- letters needed!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:38 am 
I made a slight edit on my earlier post, not sure if you saw it. I don’t know if there’ s a log at the old bridge site to use, but there is periodically, and would be great when the river is low. Those with ‘nads may be able to ford, but I lost my fording ‘nads at a failed attempt at Kennedy Creek at PCT years ago, and I haven’t found them since. Kennedy done run ‘em off but good.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:42 am 
By the way, the massive brush situation is the actual Milk Creek trail, not the cross country route from the Suiattle parking area to the Milk Creek trail. So no matter where you cross the Suiattle river, it's a brush bash on the Milk Creek trail. The brush in that one section the guy mentions in the WTA report has always been legendary, even when the trail was well maintained. I was lucky to go through the summer it was brushed out completely.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:42 am 
Yes, I saw your edits and made my own! The plan is to ferry across in my packraft, depending on hydraulics and flows.

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:44 am 
As for the brush bash, I know it'll be bad on the Milk Creek trail! smile.gif I was trying to avoid the hour it took the other trip reporter to get from the log crossing, to the start of the Milk Creek trail.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am 
Ah! OK, you're hip & savy and all that. Coolistic!

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:51 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
you're hip & savy and all that
Kim, pretty sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with you on that... lol.gif Apologies for the thread drift, Brushwork!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 12:23 pm 
I wonder how many people stumble upon the old old Milk Creek trail thinking it’s the current Milk Creek trail? They’re probably in the same rough condition nowadays. If you’re coming from the brushbash after crossing at Suiattle trailhead, you may run into it thinking it’s the current trail. It runs paralell the river at the bridge site. Damian and I camped on it once, and I remember thinking how cool it was that there was a nice, flat spot at just the right place. Turns out, it was the old old trailbed. Looking forward to a trip report. And looking forward to a new bridge (segue back to the original subject)

Gabep

Gabep
PostFri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 pm 
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 10:02 am 
RumiDude wrote:
All those switchbacks climbing out of Milk Creak going north were so bad it is hard to imagine a horse being safe on it going either up or down
It's interesting reading how much the trail has deteriorated. I hiked that just after they built that section and the contractor was doing the finishing touches in 1967. It was a freeway then.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 10:49 am 
The trail was in good shape until the flood. The switchbacks were mostly in an avalanche slope of brush. Brush grows back fast. I bet the rough track on Lime Ridge is about the same as most of it is in the alpine.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 22, 2018 12:42 pm 
Randy, great information! That's when the Suiattle trail was rebuilt as well. I guess the entire watershed was rebuilt then!

Wastral

Wastral
PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:58 am 
I'd take a cable across just like on the Chilliwak. If someone wants to dodge the massive amounts of brush in the valley bottom, go straight up either ridge. Even an unofficial boot path going to Lime Ridge. If you think Green mountain Lookout views are spectacular go up the ridge just north of the valley.

Slap Slap; 10 bugs dead, Blip Blop; Stumble Fall; Curse and Get up and Do it all Over Again; Reaching High For the Sky a Mile High; Topping Out Atop a Peak; Priceless
Exmoor

Exmoor
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 11:59 am 
The Everett Herald has a nice article on this today: https://www.heraldnet.com/life/talking-trails-shes-restoring-access-to-the-wilderness/ My jaw dropped when I read that the entire MBS annual road budget is $60,000. That's just shameful.

tod701

tod701
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 12:34 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The trail was in good shape until the flood. The switchbacks were mostly in an avalanche slope of brush. Brush grows back fast. I bet the rough track on Lime Ridge is about the same as most of it is in the alpine.
My experience too. The year before the flood the valley bottom just after the bridge was pretty brushy, but that goes with the territory. The initial clearing will be an effort, maybe a few surprises, but it's mostly just brush so nothing too extraordinary.

Tod
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 30, 2018 1:01 pm 
Exmoor wrote:
My jaw dropped when I read that the entire MBS annual road budget is $60,000. That's just shameful.
What was the gross dollar volume for timber sales on the MBSNF last year?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."