Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > DNR Environmental Impact Statement Marbled Murrelet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:49 pm 
Friday August 31, 2018 16:27 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE Anglers limited to one hatchery steelhead on Snake River, other southeast Washington streams OLYMPIA – Fishery managers are reducing the daily limit for hatchery steelhead to one fish on the Snake River and other streams in southeast Washington beginning Sept. 4 to protect weak runs. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will implement the new rule on the Snake River, as well as the Grande Ronde, Touchet, Tucannon, and Walla Walla rivers. Chris Donley, WDFW regional fish program manager, said monitoring at Bonneville Dam now indicates that 96,500 upriver steelhead will return to the Columbia River this year, down from 182,400 fish projected before the fishing season began. Many of those fish are bound for the Snake River, the largest tributary of the Columbia, and its tributaries. "Making this change now will help us meet our conservation objectives for wild steelhead and still allow anglers some fishing opportunity," Donley said. "However, we will continue to monitor the run of steelhead to the Snake River and adjust as necessary." The new rule comes just a week after fishery managers closed a large section of the Columbia River to steelhead fishing. State fishery managers also announced on Friday that steelhead retention will close Sept. 4 on the lower White Salmon River, another tributary of the Columbia River. More information on that is available online at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/, where the rule changes on the Snake River and its tributaries can also be found. -WDFW- (* emphasis added *) ========================================================= Friday August 31, 2018 16:30 PDT WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE Steelhead retention, night fishing to close on lower White Salmon River Action: Release all steelhead. Night fishing closure is in effect for salmon and steelhead. Effective date: Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2018, until further notice. Species affected: Salmon and steelhead. Location: White Salmon River, from the mouth (BNSF Railroad Bridge) to county road bridge below the former location of the powerhouse. Reason for action: This action is being taken to limit steelhead impacts as the run-size has been reduced to 96,500 A/B Index steelhead from the pre-season forecast of 182,400 fish. Additional information: Retention of hatchery salmon remains open with a 6 fish daily limit, of which no more than 2 may be adults. Fishery managers will continue to monitor steelhead returns as the season progresses. Information contact: Region 5, (360) 696-6211. For latest information, press *1010. -WDFW- (* emphasis addes *) ========================================================= Please... tell me again how well the ESA is working to restore runs of anadromous salmonids. Wonder if it's working this well to save Marbled Murrelets too?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:54 pm 
mike, regarding Economic Impact Studies wrote:
Once that is done then it makes sense to do an economic study to find the most cost effective solution.
Then why is it not being done? Why are the dollar numbers not being made publicly available? Why does WDFW refuse to say how much money they're spending on TES management? Where is the accounting of public tax dollars? In the case of WDFW, their solution for addressing their projected $30 million dollar budget shortfall for the next biennium was to raise the prices on hunting and fishing licenses, and go the State Legislature and ask for more money out of the General Fund. What's the problem with an accounting for the money? It's public money. Last time I checked, DNR was using public money as well. Where's the accounting for the money?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message